Axe? Please educate me

Nathan, please check out these Tuatahi racing axes from New Zealand: https://www.tuatahiaxes.com/racing-axes

I think that there's room at the top for some new racing axes from CPK to also win axe competitions!

And you can see that even with the exchange rate being $1.35 NZD to $1 USD, they are still very pricey!
Was just looking at those last week! Took a lot to talk myself down lol.
"I don't do lumberjack competitions. Why would I need a racing axe?"
"I don't chop a lot of wood with an axe, why would I need one of those"
"I have 2 chainsaws AND cheaper axes. Why would I need that?"
"Need's got nothing to do with want"
"Shut up".

Was just looking at those last week! Took a lot to talk myself down lol.
"I don't do lumberjack competitions. Why would I need a racing axe?"
"I don't chop a lot of wood with an axe, why would I need one of those"
"I have 2 chainsaws AND cheaper axes. Why would I need that?"
"Need's got nothing to do with want"
"Shut up".

I don't chop any wood and I feel like I need one ‍*facepalm*

^ they also recently released a smaller "camp" axe. Might cave.
I'd been tempted by one of their larger axe heads, but they were really too much for me. A camp axe, though - I ordered one last week. It will be a few months before I get it. And then I'll have to make a haft. I should probably start scrounging the wood for it now. Hickory or ash? White oak? Hmmmm.

Sorry if this has came up, but I ain’t reading 13 pages lol - if your gonna make a axe - a general use camp/pack/boys axe would be kewl

I’d be more interested in a modern full tang hawk if pricing would allow. Again - there are Winkler, RMJ (and ATC) , for major brands and a few shops like , Helm , Omnivore blade works that make some quality hawks.

I wasn't impressed much after receiving my Fiskar Norden N7 hatchet. It looked kinda nice to a noob like me but a maker loses me fast when outta box I get a very dull / blunt / obtuse tool which is meant for cutting and chopping (something which I've never had to worry about CPK, ever!), so off it went back to the seller. Lamnia got the GB Wild Life hatchet back in stock yesterday, so that was an easy decision for me to grab one (already sold out) and then wait out its shipping time from Europe to here.

I'm sure that for serious axe users there are some (much) better choices out there but unless the beloved CPK gets into the axe game, I'm probably not going to spent too much north of 150 on an axe. I know that the GB prices have escalated from the lower 100s to mid and upper 100s in the past few years but then again what hasn't? Steel and HT may be a bit on the softer and lower end for some of us fancier chuckleheads, but I like fit and finish plus how GB feels in hand. Plus they hang their axe heads really well; this is also really important to me.

So when it NinJo going to relent and allow Nathan to go forward with a CPK-Axe project? :D

I wasn't impressed much after receiving my Fiskar Norden N7 hatchet. It looked kinda nice to a noob like me but a maker loses me fast when outta box I get a very dull / blunt / obtuse tool which is meant for cutting and chopping (something which I've never had to worry about CPK, ever!), so off it went back to the seller. Lamnia got the GB Wild Life hatchet back in stock yesterday, so that was an easy decision for me to grab one (already sold out) and then wait out its shipping time from Europe to here.

I'm sure that for serious axe users there are some (much) better choices out there but unless the beloved CPK gets into the axe game, I'm probably not going to spent too much north of 150 on an axe. I know that the GB prices have escalated from the lower 100s to mid and upper 100s in the past few years but then again what hasn't? Steel and HT may be a bit on the softer and lower end for some of us fancier chuckleheads, but I like fit and finish plus how GB feels in hand. Plus they hang their axe heads really well; this is also really important to me.

So when it NinJo going to relent and allow Nathan to go forward with a CPK-Axe project? :D
Nice score! In my experience, you can’t go wrong with a GB axe.

That said, I’m eagerly awaiting a CPK rendition. :cool:

If Jo ever lets me do one, mine is probably going to have a little bit more of a convex compound curvature through its cross section. I have some experimentation to do but I think it will split better and stick less

If Jo ever lets me do one, mine is probably going to have a little bit more of a convex compound curvature through its cross section. I have some experimentation to do but I think it will split better and stick less

We’ll have to find out what is NinJo’s guilty pleasure and then will start enchanting Jo in the same pony trick way which we’ve been playing you since 2016 :D

Eh hmmm.........just want to be added to the field tester list whenever this happens, I’ve got wood......

The trick is to "flick" the bit to get it to split the wood without sticking.

A technique made prominent by Tom Clark

Also displayed perfectly here

Back