1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Wood Splitter, Mar 31, 2012.

1. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Thank you. Yes I am the guilty party that made the shaving horse. All from what I called at the time scraps.

[​IMG]

Bob

2. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    It is a 3 1/2# Jersey pattern Council. Not sure about the age, probably around 30 years old. I'll get it cleaned up and properly sharpened and post a picture of the head. When I rehung it, I had no experience and played it by ear. It was a lot more difficult than I expected.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  3. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Kreuzaxt action[​IMG]

4. donscpoo

donscpoo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Hoffman Blacksmithing axes

[​IMG]

5. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
  6. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I want to say this is a terrific photo of beautiful old working tools. Because you can’t hit “like” twice.

ithinkverydeeply and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    The severity of the thumbs-up's limitations.

Only one is missing from the group photo. You guessed it, bandhacke.

ithinkverydeeply and A17 like this.
  8. william weeks

william weeks

Aug 21, 2019
    I have been trying to a mod for a Cold Steel Viking Axe but I am having a problem. the handle dimeter is too small,
    I can hold the ax by the head and point the handle at the sky and see daylight on most all sides of the handle. when I take the set screw off the ax
    the ax head slides off the top of the handle. I have sent two back for this reason, and even switched models hoping that I would get a decent product to start with
    ( no luck) my new ax arrived today with the same problem.
    Any suggestions on a fix??
    1. making a new handle from scratch would be more than i want to do.
    2. it is unlikely that I can find a replacement close enough to fit at the local hard ware store
    3.I could try to heat the head and expand the opening for the handle but I don't have a forge or the equipment
    (Q...?) would it be possible to shim something into the area between the head of the ax and the handle ??
    .........................................any thoughts on this are welcome

9. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Try taking the screw off, tapping on the top of the haft until the head is solid, and then you should be good. If the head can slide off both ends of the handle, you'll have to make a new one.

10. william weeks

william weeks

Aug 21, 2019
    Try taking the screw off, tapping on the top of the haft until the head is solid, - a-17

when i take the screw off the head slides off the top part of the handle ( as I described)
    I have returned several axes with the same problem

"I have been trying to a mod for a Cold Steel Viking Axe but I am having a problem. the handle dimeter is too small,
    I can hold the ax by the head and point the handle at the sky and see daylight on most all sides of the handle. when I take the set screw off the ax
    the ax head slides off the top of the handle." - WW

11. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I guess a new handle is in order then.

12. william weeks

william weeks

Aug 21, 2019
    what I would like to do is take the head to a black smith and have the diameter of the hole for the handle enlarged. that might make it worth the effort of making a new handle.

13. william weeks

william weeks

Aug 21, 2019
    I called cold steel about the loose fitting of the ax head to the handle, they suggested that I soak the top part of the handle in water
    ( to expand the wood) has anyone tried this -- and will this weaken the wood in this area of the handle?

14. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    DON'T use water it's pointless. Unless you're in a bind in the middle of the woods or something. It'll only work until the wood dries. You can hang it and then let the haft sit in a Tupperware container with BLO in it. It'll wick up and expand it some.
    But ideally you want a proper fitting haft to begin with and THEN soak it.

A17 and Agent_H like this.
  15. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Archaic Nederlands Timmermansbijl,ANTB, ( Carpenter's axe of the Netherlands ) with his new-made handle hung on there like that.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. stilet

stilet

Feb 3, 2018
  17. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    I remember well speaking with Roselli at the market near the pier in Helsinki where he was hawking blades. In those days he was a bit of a lonely figure, now I take it his business is roaring. Something to do with internet exposure? Got me one of his neat garlic choppers back then.

18. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    [email protected] and Nbrackett like this.