Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Beautiful collection! Did you make the shaving horse?
Thank you. Yes I am the guilty party that made the shaving horse. All from what I called at the time scraps.

HxOw1tb.png

Bob

Keep it out of the rain then! Lol. Is that an old True Temper woodslasher? Are there ridges in the eye?
It kind of looks like a council a little bit as well. You should clean it up and share your results with us!
It is a 3 1/2# Jersey pattern Council. Not sure about the age, probably around 30 years old. I'll get it cleaned up and properly sharpened and post a picture of the head. When I rehung it, I had no experience and played it by ear. It was a lot more difficult than I expected.

I have been trying to a mod for a Cold Steel Viking Axe but I am having a problem. the handle dimeter is too small,
I can hold the ax by the head and point the handle at the sky and see daylight on most all sides of the handle. when I take the set screw off the ax
the ax head slides off the top of the handle. I have sent two back for this reason, and even switched models hoping that I would get a decent product to start with
( no luck) my new ax arrived today with the same problem.
Any suggestions on a fix??
1. making a new handle from scratch would be more than i want to do.
2. it is unlikely that I can find a replacement close enough to fit at the local hard ware store
3.I could try to heat the head and expand the opening for the handle but I don't have a forge or the equipment
(Q...?) would it be possible to shim something into the area between the head of the ax and the handle ??
.........................................any thoughts on this are welcome

Try taking the screw off, tapping on the top of the haft until the head is solid, and then you should be good. If the head can slide off both ends of the handle, you'll have to make a new one.

Try taking the screw off, tapping on the top of the haft until the head is solid, - a-17

when i take the screw off the head slides off the top part of the handle ( as I described)
I have returned several axes with the same problem

"I have been trying to a mod for a Cold Steel Viking Axe but I am having a problem. the handle dimeter is too small,
I can hold the ax by the head and point the handle at the sky and see daylight on most all sides of the handle. when I take the set screw off the ax
the ax head slides off the top of the handle." - WW

what I would like to do is take the head to a black smith and have the diameter of the hole for the handle enlarged. that might make it worth the effort of making a new handle.

I called cold steel about the loose fitting of the ax head to the handle, they suggested that I soak the top part of the handle in water
( to expand the wood) has anyone tried this -- and will this weaken the wood in this area of the handle?

I called cold steel about the loose fitting of the ax head to the handle, they suggested that I soak the top part of the handle in water
( to expand the wood) has anyone tried this -- and will this weaken the wood in this area of the handle?
DON'T use water it's pointless. Unless you're in a bind in the middle of the woods or something. It'll only work until the wood dries. You can hang it and then let the haft sit in a Tupperware container with BLO in it. It'll wick up and expand it some.
But ideally you want a proper fitting haft to begin with and THEN soak it.

I remember well speaking with Roselli at the market near the pier in Helsinki where he was hawking blades. In those days he was a bit of a lonely figure, now I take it his business is roaring. Something to do with internet exposure? Got me one of his neat garlic choppers back then.

Back