Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

I remember well speaking with Roselli at the market near the pier in Helsinki where he was hawking blades. In those days he was a bit of a lonely figure, now I take it his business is roaring. Something to do with internet exposure? Got me one of his neat garlic choppers back then.
This knife is good. This is just an amateur photo.

My modest Flint Edge Collection

All but the house axe are Kelly Works

20190927-100610.jpg

20190927-100625.jpg

20190927-100639.jpg

Know what land/country?
p9272794.jpeg
p9272811.jpeg
p9272807.jpg
p9272809.jpg
p9272802.jpg

Possibly Finlandia or nearby associated regions? It has some striking aspects that make me think it's older - inserted steel, the steep arc from the poll to the toe, the extended ratio of poll to collar(almost reaching the edge in comparison to production units), and the the longer/narrow bit make it quite interesting. It's a big mouth (collar) with a small bite (edge length) yet dimunitive in overall size for say, carving? - at least compared to your knife in one of the pictures.
p9272809.jpg

It doesn't strike me as necessarily factory made unless it was repaired to present as such.

What is your take on it?
*I miss this thread's updates as I scan to the forum posts as opposed to the stickies at the top.

*I miss this thread's updates as I scan to the forum posts as opposed to the stickies at the top.
Stuck in an out of the way corner. Could have landed in your Axes of Finland series but this photo one's so conveniently located isn't it.

How these axes remain strictly contained by something like a national boundary line even with no walls and even when that whole concept is probably younger than the axe forms themselves is a bizarre thing to me. Yes, unique to Finland and you know it too.

The axe is even smaller than you probably imagine it, it's really little, (that's a pretty big knife, you know), and I think very suitable for carving like you say it, however you might imagine that. Though probably originally intended as a handy all-rounder since carving would have been one among many uses it got put to before the time of manic-consumerism. When I see this one I can't get Lepola's Illustrated Suomi man just with a nicer axe out of my mind.

Unusually for Finland with its ocean of factory-mades this one's small-scale made, or as I like to put it, clearly "hand forged" which is the attraction along with the distinct lines as you have out-lined A_H. The forgings have suffered, opening up at the closure on both sides of the key after some abusive pounding on the poll. There are signs the bit was possibly welded on or has been re-steeled, a bit ambiguous really.

Only when I went back to check references did I see my handle had its curves and sweeps all wrong and not at all according to the official Finnish army manual of axe handle making though the knob - which I like a lot - it's a copy off of the one piilu one I have at hand .

Nice collection of flinties! I don't know how many I've got. Now I've got to go dig around and find out! Thanks!
In the first photo, all the way top left, does the Connecticut pattern have an overlaid bit? It sure looks like it to me! They really are great axes.

Thanks YJ
I could be wrong, however i don't see evidence of an overlay. This head has been beaten, grinder wheel taken to it and the semi polish effect. I think we are seeing the temper line.

Back