Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Normal everyday temp. fluctuations cause the always present moisture in the air to condense where an abrupt differential occurs which is the case where metal and wood interface. When you use and maintain the axe regularly then the fungus which breeds in conditions of condensation and moisture penetrated wood, will probably in the worst case cause a stain. That same axe stored up for a while will certainly suffer structurally. The problems with the pins, screws or nails, are similar but different but we all are familiar with pulling old nails and how a chunk of adjacent sound wood often adheres but the wood beyond that has rotted. S'why you get such big holes pulling old nails out.
This is all actually not so central anyway, the point being to eliminate the need for such a guard by practiced skillful axe use.

I'm with Ernest,and
the point being to eliminate the need for such a guard by practiced skillful axe use.
would be an ideal solution.
However,if you like your guards,one of the ways to counteract some of the ill effects would be to use a tar-paper gasket(as one should between any kind of metal roofing(even painted) and wood).
Another alternative is some toxic non-ferrous alloy...Cut up a copper plumbing pipe...Use copper or bronze or Monel fasteners,screws,pins,whatever...
There's a fairly famous viking age era type M axe-head that had a copper wrap between the eye and the handle(kinda like GB hafts their mauls),that silly Cu foil kept even the remnant of the handle safe from bacteria for all these centuries(really,went a long way towards preservation of the iron as well:).

I think I just liked the Octopus w/ trident logo too much.

cjUirFr.jpg

43838129-AB7D-4C70-AB18-F35AC73FA508.jpeg
This is the only Hawk I have and been so long since I bought it, don’t know the maker. I actually used to carry this in my unmarked County car as a plainclothes Deputy. LOL! Only used it once..but just displaying it defused the situation . Used to take a lot of flack from my Sergeant for carrying it on duty..but I was stubborn and continued to carry it as part of my loadout.
Cheers,
Citizen

Two of my most recent customizing efforts, a Cold Steel pipe hammer pole and a CRKT Woods Chogan. I backed off the embellishments on these and I like the simple look. I also purchased and replaced the plain Hickory hafts for a curly Maple and curly Hickory haft. They are two of my current favorites among my tomahawk collection.

DSC03364-1.JPG DSC03374-1.JPG DSC03407-1.JPG DSC03413-1.JPG DSC03450-1.JPG

Nothing fancy, just some old working tools.
Ph8wE1t.jpg

My Grandpa gave the Wetterlings Hatchet to me in about 1958. The short Evansville Grand Leader Axe is from a garage sale. And the True Temper, Kelly Works Axe belonged to my Grandma, from 1946 to 1977, when she gave it to me.
A nice selection there mate :thumbsup:

G
Nothing fancy, just some old working tools.
Ph8wE1t.jpg

My Grandpa gave the Wetterlings Hatchet to me in about 1958. The short Evansville Grand Leader Axe is from a garage sale. And the True Temper, Kelly Works Axe belonged to my Grandma, from 1946 to 1977, when she gave it to me.
Great lineage! Tools are always a little better with a good story.

Back