Axes, crosscuts, griphoist, and mules

3 300Six

They're not much different than having horses in most ways. Slightly Easier maintenance and health wise as a rule.
Behavior responses are a little different, but similar motivations and instincts.

The FS owns a herd, and I own a few. 20 total is about where I keep it. I work them together. I'm responsible for the aquisition, care and management, training and handling. Theres another packer who works under me all summer.

We use a couple pastures, and have a barn facility with several welded pipe corrals I built.

3 300Six

They're not much different than having horses in most ways. Slightly Easier maintenance and health wise as a rule.
Behavior responses are a little different, but similar motivations and instincts.

The FS owns a herd, and I own a few. 20 total is about where I keep it. I work them together. I'm responsible for the aquisition, care and management, training and handling. Theres another packer who works under me all summer.

We use a couple pastures, and have a barn facility with several welded pipe corrals I built.
Sounds to me like you've managed to corner a small piece of Heaven to work and live in and out of! I love it, and all power to you!

This is a good read, 'specially since I am still on MST having just got back from the Selway/Bitterroots before anyone's got the chance to go clearing the winter fell up there and spooking the black bear further back into the hills. I'm just wondering if you ever use the mules in place of winching for skidding mulemann. I was of course envious of all that beautiful Douglas Fir but also so sorry to see, for the first time in years, the beetle damage. They're having a real glut of it all up through there.

This is a good read, 'specially since I am still on MST having just got back from the Selway/Bitterroots before anyone's got the chance to go clearing the winter fell up there and spooking the black bear further back into the hills. I'm just wondering if you ever use the mules in place of winching for skidding mulemann. I was of course envious of all that beautiful Douglas Fir but also so sorry to see, for the first time in years, the beetle damage. They're having a real glut of it all up through there.

Thanks E Ernest DuBois . I dont pull in harness for trailwork with the mules generally. A couple of them can do it, and on rare occasions I've used them to skid for building, but not clearing.
Always log material for crib walls, or a stoneboat.

I know what you mean about the beetles. Between that and fires we've taken a lot of loss as well. Sure can keep a trail system from staying well maintained.

Back