Axes in Art

Cave Wall
Art
(Garage)

20180316_185730.jpg

incomplete, ever expanding
:cool:

That big log reminded me of this photograph from Belgium, alongside a painting depicting the same general area. Looks like a pitsaw in the photo background.

img-15.png

These pictures, by the way, appear in a research paper about the Sonian Forest (a 4,421-hectare [10,920-acre] forest at the southeast edge of Brussels, Belgium [Wikipedia]), that talks about the how urbanization resulted in steps taken to make this forest "more natural" and picturesque. The management of the forest changed to have less logging and more spontaneous seeding. For the beech trees, the time between cuts was fixed at 100 years in 1788, but this was increased to 120 years in 1886, then increased to 180 years in 1975, and increased again to 200 years from 2003.

When you can’t see the city for the trees. A joint analysis of the Sonian Forest and urban reality.
(Quand les arbres cachent la ville. Pour une analyse conjointe de la forêt de Soignes et du fait urbain)

by Lee Christopher Roland, 2012
Figure 13, page 42.
http://journals.openedition.org/brussels/1098?lang=en

Is that supposed to be Abe Lincoln in the painting of the Rail Splitter? The U.S. Army's 84th Infantry Division name is the 'Rail Splitters" and their shoulder sleeve insignia is an axe splitting a rail. John

A barefoot axeman. The tree and stars in this 12th-century painting remind me of the decorations on some old European hewing axes:

Hildegard_von_Bingen_detail3.jpg

That's some detail from a larger work by Hildegard of Bingen (Hildegard von Bingen, 1098-1179), and the painting goes by several names: Cosmic Tree, Cultivating the Cosmic Tree, The Cycle of the Seasons:

Hildegard_von_Bingen-_%27Werk_Gottes%27%2C_12._Jh..jpg

The tree and stars in this 12th-century painting remind me of the decorations on some old European hewing axes:

Thank you,Steve,wonderful painting,and i agree with seeing that similarity,and like to think that that's the venue whereby it evolved.
Neat stuff.

Is that supposed to be Abe Lincoln in the painting of the Rail Splitter? The U.S. Army's 84th Infantry Division name is the 'Rail Splitters" and their shoulder sleeve insignia is an axe splitting a rail. John

Yes it's Abraham Lincoln, it does seem like an odd title.

Railroads spring to mind but he's actually splitting wooden fence rails, the building of can be seen in the background.

Explanation here- https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-legend-of-lincolns-fence-rail-35283/

Last edited:
Back