1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axes with eye ridges....

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by gben, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    I'd agree it's older than 1957, since the Kelly Standard doesn't appear in the 1957 catalog, where the listed full-size axe brands were Kelly Perfect, Flint Edge, Red Warrior, Woodslasher, Champion, and World's Finest (fireman's).

2. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I was thinking it might be closer to '49...keeping the brand and name recognition in play before deciding which and if what makes they may "86" from production...just a thought, no evidence.

Thanks SteveTall:thumbsup:
    Cool as always:cool:

3. Lefty Jason

Lefty Jason

Sep 7, 2018
    Any recommendations (or links) on rehanging one of these with a new handle? I have a double bit with 4 offset ridges.

Do you rough out the grooves with a chisel or just let the ridges move the material?

4. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I do a little of both personally. If the head won't go down when it needs to, I chisel out some grooves. If it goes down, I don't groove it.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  5. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Lefty, i usually make the very top of the eye(the first 1/2"-3/4" or so, some of that ends up coming through the top and getting cut off) small enough to fit inside the eye ridges. But from there down i find it necessary to cut the grooves. I've been able to get away with not doing them on a couple hatchets but full size axes just won't seat properly without them in my experience. I'll have to post some pics to this thread. I just saw it for the first time and I've got a half a dozen or so ridged eye axes.

Miller '72 and Agent_H like this.
  6. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I ignore them and they take care of themselves.

Miller '72 and Agent_H like this.
  7. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Think it was Square Peg that said to put a piece of a wedge in the kerf when your hanging a ridged eye,helped out alot.

Square_peg and Miller '72 like this.
  8. Maine20

Maine20 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 8, 2017
    This works for me also.

9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Sure does! That way the ridges cut into haft instead of just compressing the kerf and binding. Better still is an un-kerfed haft. And I will help the ridges along with a utility knife.

Miller '72 and Trailsawyer like this.