Axes with eye ridges....

I don't think these types of TTs have been mentioned yet.

33436386052_498dfa7464_b.jpg

Bob

I have a full double double bit with 4 ridges that are offset. On side them close to the center and the other has them on the outside of the opposite sides ridges. To rusted for makers marks.

I have a full double double bit with 4 ridges that are offset. On side them close to the center and the other has them on the outside of the opposite sides ridges. To rusted for makers marks.

Jim I have seen that pattern of ridges in axe heads. Many True-Temper axes were sold without stamped marks but paper labels instead. If your axe has the ridges it is almost certainly made by True-Temper and that means it is a good quality axe that is worth saving and using if possible.

Thought kelly works stamp went to 49 and eye ridges started in 59.
If it says "Kelly Works" it's supposedly from no earlier than 1930.
After 1949, when the company was officially called 'True Temper', there was still some use of the KELLY WORKS stamp.
True Temper's catalog from 1957 shows axes with the KELLY WORKS stamp.
Kelly Works shut down on May 28, 1982. (reference)

If it says "Kelly Works" it's supposedly from no earlier than 1930.
After 1949, when the company was officially called 'True Temper', there was still some use of the KELLY WORKS stamp.
True Temper's catalog from 1957 shows axes with the KELLY WORKS stamp.
Kelly Works shut down on May 28, 1982. (reference)

So by deduction, axes with the Kelly Works stamp and eye ridges would have been manufactured sometime between 59 & 82?

So by deduction, axes with the Kelly Works stamp and eye ridges would have been manufactured sometime between 59 & 82?
I think those are reasonable "bookends", until we get more information that might narrow it down even more.
This is based on what was stated earlier in this thread: the patent application for eye ridges was filed in 1959, and they were advertised in 1960 and later, and 1982 is when the factory closed.

Back