Axes with eye ridges....

So we have Kelly, Vaughn and Collins with ridges in the eyes. That does not rule out others, but I have no other proof.

Here is a Woodslasher from the early 1960's. No ribs in the eye. No stamps.

14f897c3-1544-4502-8e48-1e09c0ec7226_zpsevfbiboq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice piece garry3! This one may have languished on the shelf for a few years or laid under something in a back room. Seems the ridges were introduced in the early 60s and it may well be this particular axe was neglected/failed to sell because it was priced the same as the 'new-fangled' ones. I dunno but it sure is a perfect example of NOS.

Nice piece garry3! This one may have languished on the shelf for a few years or laid under something in a back room. Seems the ridges were introduced in the early 60s and it may well be this particular axe was neglected/failed to sell because it was priced the same as the 'new-fangled' ones. I dunno but it sure is a perfect example of NOS.

It was a yard sale find and a card from Mom and Dad in side the box provided a date and provenance that it was a birthday gift to a son that apparently never used it. It is no longer owned by me and I think the one who purchased it made a decent buy.
P1010002_zpso87catye.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was a yard sale find and a card from Mom and Dad in side the box provided a date and provenance that it was a birthday gift to a son that apparently never used it. It is no longer owned by me and I think the one who purchased it made a decent buy.
P1010002_zpso87catye.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The mother lode!

The mother lode!

Not at all. I am pretty sure it sold for less than a bill on that auction sight. Strange when those lesser quality axes that sold in shrink wrapped plastic at the bait store will bring twice as much.

Definitely a neat find and with a realistic enough purchase date authenticity that can't be disputed too much. My sister, for instance, is 'the' consummate bargain shopper and will often lay in something years in advance (ie her son's 16th birthday) only because the price was right. And then sometimes she'd forget or the package would show up during once a decade spring cleaning etc etc.

Definitely a neat find and with a realistic enough purchase date authenticity that can't be disputed too much. My sister, for instance, is 'the' consummate bargain shopper and will often lay in something years in advance (ie her son's 16th birthday) only because the price was right. And then sometimes she'd forget or the package would show up during once a decade spring cleaning etc etc.

Sounds like you're sister spring cleans more regularly than I.:eek:

Not at all. I am pretty sure it sold for less than a bill on that auction sight. Strange when those lesser quality axes that sold in shrink wrapped plastic at the bait store will bring twice as much.

Ah those fabled Norlund hatchet HBs! Had I only bought a sack of them, or even a single one at the time.

It's a tough decision to know where to post this, here or "it followed me home".

No name Dbl bit cruiser 8.5 bit to bit, the bits are 4.375. only marking is C8.
P4150092.jpg

Only 4 ridges
P4150096.jpg

The stamp/marking
P4150098.jpg

It's a tough decision to know where to post this, here or "it followed me home".

No name Dbl bit cruiser 8.5 bit to bit, the bits are 4.375. only marking is C8.
View attachment 629363

Only 4 ridges
View attachment 629364

The stamp/marking
View attachment 629365

It looks pretty good and a cruiser is always a nice find.
Those small letter number stamps are associated with True Temper, if you did not know. It is another can of worms to just what they mean.

Square_peg and garry3, thanks, the first Cruiser I found has 3 ridges on each side opposite each other(see post and pics 3/16/13) and this has 2 closer to center and 2 spaced further apart, My question is are they both Wood Slashers?

Likely both Woodslashers. Kelly used different patterns of eye ridges, 2 opposite 2, 2 opposite 3, and 3 opposite 3. Their late model axes were 3 opposite 3. I can't say how the others are dated. My guess is it went 4, 5, 6. But that's a guess.

Thanks, RICKOFF. We knew Vaughan made eye ridge axes but it's nice to verify that even their higher end Super Steel had them.

This brand with eye ridges is new to me. True Value's Tru-test. I have done some searching hoping to positively identify who made these, but could not find documentation. Anyway, pictures may be of interest in this thread.

28936080671_7b2d3ca0e9_c.jpg

28907158402_9eaffe6e6f_c.jpg

28936076441_eeb1567d4e_c.jpg

Bob

Edit to add: For the record the above is not my axe. It was just posted as an example.

Last edited:
Back