• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

B&M stores in the NY area?

Hi All,

I'll be taking a trip to New York in a few weeks, and it'll be my first time back in the states in about 25 years. One of the things I'm hoping to do is visit a few brick and mortar knife shops while I'm there, as there aren't many where I'm from.

I'm aware of the current legislative issues with regards to knives in NYC. Does anyone have any suggestions for b&m knife stores to visit in any of the boroughs? Have tried the usual Google-fu, and it generally comes up with kitchen knife stores only! Thanks much!

If you can travel about 20 minutes west of Manhattan there is Cutlery Mania in Fairfield NJ. Great store with a huge selection of all the top brands ( CRK, Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT, and many more) The staff are friendly, and knowledgable too. Its well worth the trip. :thumbsup:

Yeah, don't be anywhere near NYC. Their agenda is arrest for any knife on you. Rent a car, get the hell away from there as fasy as you can. Many knife stores await you away from that city.

Hi All,

I'll be taking a trip to New York in a few weeks, and it'll be my first time back in the states in about 25 years. One of the things I'm hoping to do is visit a few brick and mortar knife shops while I'm there, as there aren't many where I'm from.

I'm aware of the current legislative issues with regards to knives in NYC. Does anyone have any suggestions for b&m knife stores to visit in any of the boroughs? Have tried the usual Google-fu, and it generally comes up with kitchen knife stores only! Thanks much!

Just make sure you don’t fly home from NYC. You’ll legally have to declare the knives in your checked baggage. They will be illegal in your bags when you check them in.

Yeah, don't be anywhere near NYC. Their agenda is arrest for any knife on you. Rent a car, get the hell away from there as fasy as you can. Many knife stores await you away from that city.

"arrest for any knife on you."
That's Incorrect information.
Slip joints any blade length under 4 inches are legal to carry, you can not have the knife clipped/showing on your pocket, must be down inside your pocket.
You can also carry any Multitool if you use it for your work.

Just make sure you don’t fly home from NYC. You’ll legally have to declare the knives in your checked baggage. They will be illegal in your bags when you check them in.

Unfortunately, we're flying back from JFK. Could you clarify this? I thought knives in checked baggage was ok?

Unfortunately, we're flying back from JFK. Could you clarify this? I thought knives in checked baggage was ok?

Knives in checked baggage was fine the last time I flew into and out of JFK I didn't declare them they were just packed like everything else

Normally it is ok. But since JFK is in NYC and those knives are illegal in NYC that is the problem.

Knives in checked baggage was fine the last time I flew into and out of JFK I didn't declare them they were just packed like everything else

Yes it will likely be fine. However it is still illegal as well as the act of just bringing the knives through NYC to the airport.

Buy knives in NJ and ship them through USPS next door to the knife store. Problem solved.

Did I miss something and NYC laws change for the worse after the recent-ish failed attempt to relax them? Now everything I see in regards to NYC knife laws suggest you can't carry any knife. To my knowledge NYC law restricts you the knives under 4" and not a gravity/automatic knife. We are all well aware that the definition of gravity knife is a bit open to interpretation in NYC but ultimately wrong when interpreted by NYC police. I seen things suggesting a flipper is now illegal there when before it wasn't it was only treated as illegal same applied to any one-hand opening knife using a detent to hold the knife closed. I get people being scared to test NYC police interpretation of legal knives and I get advising caution but unless somethings changed this fear mongering is no better than what NYC and their LEO are doing.

Did I miss something and NYC laws change for the worse after the recent-ish failed attempt to relax them? Now everything I see in regards to NYC knife laws suggest you can't carry any knife. To my knowledge NYC law restricts you the knives under 4" and not a gravity/automatic knife. We are all well aware that the definition of gravity knife is a bit open to interpretation in NYC but ultimately wrong when interpreted by NYC police. I seen things suggesting a flipper is now illegal there when before it wasn't it was only treated as illegal same applied to any one-hand opening knife using a detent to hold the knife closed. I get people being scared to test NYC police interpretation of legal knives and I get advising caution but unless somethings changed this fear mongering is no better than what NYC and their LEO are doing.

I don't think it's fearmongering to point out how the NYPD currently interprets the "gravity knife" law to mean that almost any one handed opening knife is illegal. They use a "wrist flick" test to determine if a knife is a gravity knife, and a determined cop can overcome just about any detent if they want to. Whenever I go to the city, I either leave my knives at home or carry a SAK or other slipjoint.

If we are telling people "no don't carry that it is illegal" instead of "no don't carry that it will fail a NYC gravity knife test" is as wrong as their testing. I do think we should advise people against carrying and warn them about how NYC likes to test and turn most any folding knife into a gravity knife.

Yes it will likely be fine. However it is still illegal as well as the act of just bringing the knives through NYC to the airport.
Solution: avoid NYC flying when ever possible or just leave your knives at home. Me, I can't do that ;)..so I'll just avoid NYC.

It's nice to know that a Californian impugns the reputation of NYC. As a knife carrying, pistol permit carrying NY'er I'm glad to say we're glad you'll stay away.

If you can travel about 20 minutes west of Manhattan there is Cutlery Mania in Fairfield NJ. Great store with a huge selection of all the top brands ( CRK, Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT, and many more) The staff are friendly, and knowledgable too. Its well worth the trip. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if there are any easy public transport options to get there from Manhattan? Have browsed the area usibg Google maps, and can't really see anything. Thanks!

It's nice to know that a Californian impugns the reputation of NYC. As a knife carrying, pistol permit carrying NY'er I'm glad to say we're glad you'll stay away.
Do you live in NYC? Then move there.

Back