Bad grind on Gladius machete

Sorry if Im coming off sounding like a jerk, but I just think Cold Steel can and should do better. There is no excuse for bad craftsmanship. I work in production and quality is of the utmost importance.

I received a Gladius machete over a month ago with a horrible grind. The edge is extremely dull and uneven. I sent the pictures to Cold Steels customer service right after I received it and have yet to get an answer back from them about what they plan to do to fix this problem. What has your guys experience been with the grinds on Cold Steels machetes? Share your experiences with Cold Steels customer service.
1c74091fa9f9bc631d603b258852a42b.jpg

Check out the right side edge

Yikes that's bad! Looks like someone was farting around in the garage with a lawnmower blade.

I've never had a machete come with a decent edge.

There are very nice, customs or semi customs you can get a screaming sharp edge standard.

Barryonyx on here sells them with sharpening how you want it.

Alao, I agree that bevel is off, and I might consider sending it back. Or I might just finish it up on my belt sander and use it like the $25 beater it is.

Last edited:
To the poster somewhere up above, i never said you needed a belt sander to fix the edge, i just happen to already own one so thats what i used. Before i had the belt sander i just used a file to fix these kind of problems. A file is a slower but it gets the job done at no great expense. :)

Yeah, well seeing that this is replicating a sword and after watching CS video on it I expected this edge to be able to decapitate a wild boar with one swipe which is what I plan on using it for.

Then do what the Cold Steel crew did, and put an edge on it tailored to that purpose?

I just don't get why you're so unhappy with Cold Steel for this. Machetes around the world are sold unsharpened, with only a very few exceptions like Condor or Ka-bar(both of which will cost you 2-3x as much as a CS machete) or customs(which will cost you a lot more than a Condor/Ka-bar will). It's not like you're gonna get a sharper machete buying Imacasa, Tramontina, Hansa, Ontario, Bellotto... I mean, I could understand the unhappiness if most machete companies sharpened their machetes, but, traditionally, machetes aren't sold sharpened, which means from most companies, you're going to get a dull machete.

^ its the marketing. it tricks many people. we expect companies to be honest and take one right off the line and do their testing. what they don't show us is all the time they spent putting the edge on and resharpening between tasks,etc. before filming slashing and chopping, etc. while their marketing sells more steel, it backfires when one isn't familiar with decades of use and various makes and models of machetes and understands that the somewhat low dollars paid means you have to finish the edge yourself to match the work needed. although in fairness cold steel ain't exactly cheap compared to imacasa , tram, etc. maybe cheaper than finished product like condor, but still......

think of a shovel. ever bought one anywhere with the end with an edge on it to cut into harder soil and roots, etc.? i never have. i see most folks jumping up and down on the shovel to get into the soil and roots. instead of taking a belt sander or stone and grinding it into a useable edge. the maker of the shovel could do this but how do they know if you'll be using it in sugar sand like what i have here, or dense clay, or caliche, or ,...........a common edge wouldn't work for various soil types.

I agree with the OP if you advertise strongest sharpest knives and edge like that shouldn't leave the factory. I don't care what the price is if you can't make a good product for the price your selling it for raise the price or don't make the product.
Unless you are honest and forthright with it tell the customers these are cheap and you should expect to have to fix them to make them useable.

Unless you are honest and forthright with it tell the customers these are cheap and you should expect to have to fix them to make them useable.

I dunno, I kinda think the fact that machetes have been coming unsharpened from most manufacturers(and local smiths!) pretty much as long as machetes have been made, should, honestly, give you a pretty good what to expect.

i agree that the bevels should be closer to even and should come somewhat sharp as cold steel are double the price of a good solid tram. other wise they don't have much left to offer except sword like machetes to market with.

How can you know what to expect if it's your first machete? My first was a cold steel 24" Latin machete and the grind was terrible, if I would have know on that's what to expect I would have found a company that sells ready to use ones. If that's the norm for machetes that's fine but don't advertise them chopping threw cow skulls without letting the customer know the demonstration machete had extencive work done after manufacture.
I just think it's a matter of honest business practice.

A quick fix would be to state outright that they come with a dull edge, to sharpen to your liking--you could even call it a feature then. But the grind lines shouldn't look like there was drunken sailor at the wheel. My first CS machete came butter knife dull, which I am just now reading is a standard practice. I sharpened it up, and it wouldn't keep the edge. I got a second CS machete because I liked the profile, and it was just as dull. It could not hold a working edge, just like my first one, and it's not like it was hard use. I shouldn't be losing steel and rolling edges on bamboo and oleander. Not gonna be a third CS for me unless I hear that quality has picked up appreciably.

Sorry I'm late to the thread.
Posting this week has been limited at best.
This is certainly not normal and it is not acceptable.
Our machetes are hand-sharpened right here at CS HQ, and it looks like something slipped through our QC
Please accept our sincere apologies. Send me a PM with your contact info and I'll send you a replacement straight away.
Thanks

Sorry I'm late to the thread.
Posting this week has been limited at best.
This is certainly not normal and it is not acceptable.
Our machetes are hand-sharpened right here at CS HQ, and it looks like something slipped through our QC
Please accept our sincere apologies. Send me a PM with your contact info and I'll send you a replacement straight away.
Thanks
I have already been in contact with customer service and a replacement is on its way. I have to tell you though, I love your company for what it produces. Everything I've bought from your company has been top notch EXPECT for the grinds on the machetes. You should look in to what is going on with the grinding and maybe give some extra training there. It seems like I'm not the only one experiencing the same problem. It's as if it's expected when you order a Cold Steel Machete it's going to have a bad grind, and I know that's not what your company wants to put out.

I hope it works out for you and cs sends you ones that flawless...
I have close to 14 cs machetes and only 1 had an unsharpened edge but the grinds are all fine..
Although I really didn't expect perfection for the $20.-35.
a piece I paid for most of them..

Hell yea, customer service win!!

Kudos to CS and their, well, CS.

To clarify, I don't at all think the OP was wrong to expect more from the product and if he didn't want to mess with it he definitely made the right call. I'm just so used to machetes coming with a pretty unusable edge that it literally never occurred to me to be upset about it when it happened with a Cold Steel machete.

I got the replacement in today and I must say this will be the last time I purchase a Cold Steel machete. The grinds are straighter this time but the edge is no where near finished. Massive burrs and not the same thickness throughout. I will put my own edge on this one, but I'm will not spend other dime on another until I hear their quality has improved.

Not to throw gas on the fire, but I would not expect to "decapitate a wild hog" or anything bigger than a rabbit "with one swipe" of something that cost less than $50. Machetes in general are very inexpensive tools, almost in the disposable category. I buy Tramontana and love them. I sharpen them when they come in and my employees carry a file while they work with them. No big deal but nobody in my camp would try to decapitate a pig with one.

That's fine for you to expect that. Once I put my own edge on this replacement sword... I mean double edged, comes to a sharp point "machete" it will be able to do what Cold Steel advertises in their proof videos. Here in Texas wild pigs are an envasive species and may be hunted and killed in any manner possible. Ammo is expensive and a sword... I mean machete can be resharpened. So in my camp someone will gladly like to finish a pig quickly and respectfully with as little suffering as possible to put meat on the table. I bought this with no intention on clearing vegetation.

Back