Bad grind on Gladius machete

Cold steel machetes always come like that. They're made en masse in South Africa. That's why they're cheap as hell. They usually come in two forms: a coated edged that's dull as hell, or a "sharpened" edge with a massive bur on it. Nothing will fix the dull edge outside of sharpening; however the bur on the sharpened edge can easily be removed with a sharpening steel to render a nice sharp edge.
Unfortunately Cold Steel customer service is a slow, disorganized beurocracy. You'll deal with someone who swears to fix the problem, then nothing happens for weeks. You call them back only to find out they have no record of you ever calling or reporting a thing. Your best bet is to call them. They almost never answer emails and won't give a complaint about a $50 machete the time of day. Hope this helps.

That's fine for you to expect that. Once I put my own edge on this replacement sword... I mean double edged, comes to a sharp point "machete" it will be able to do what Cold Steel advertises in their proof videos. Here in Texas wild pigs are an envasive species and may be hunted and killed in any manner possible. Ammo is expensive and a sword... I mean machete can be resharpened. So in my camp someone will gladly like to finish a pig quickly and respectfully with as little suffering as possible to put meat on the table. I bought this with no intention on clearing vegetation.

For hunting hogs/wild pigs the CS Smatchet and the CS Bowie machete are also good choices.
The latest CS machetes I bought had a good edge, no complaints.
Since the new line with the Cold Steel name stamped into the blade the quality seems to be up .

I have the feeling there is another man doing the grinding/sharpening/handling of the production process.
The PP handles also look much better.
In the past, when the stickers were still on the blade, the handle would often have scuffs ,deep marks,really ugly, I even have had one CS Smatchet where the metal was very visible through the guard.There was a big gap in the polypropylene.
Now that seems to be gone. There must have taken a change place in the production. New people doing it or something..

The wave on the right side of the Gladius machete that Texas Steel bought is indeed unacceptable.
You don't sharpen that away easily. Especially if you don't have the belt sander and such.

Even for the cheap machetes, good quality control goes a long way,think of the advertisement of the brand.
And here in Europe the CS machetes are not that cheap.
The Gladius machete goes for 50 euros.
The Smatchet for 40 or more.
So some care when making the thing is very appreciated.
;)

I own 5 CS machetes, with grinds ranging from barely OK to pretty damn good. That said, the Gladius was far and away the worst of the bunch!

Same thing. Bowie (favorite) and jungle machetes came OK,

IMG_20160327_125127_828_zpshzvmeurc.jpg

but the gladius was plain nasty and uneven

IMG_20160327_125825_581_zpsfevurdwu.jpg

I've sold a few hundred of the CS Gladius Machetes and have never seen anything approaching that. Are you sure that you have a genuine Cold Steel product? Definitely does not look right to me at all. Call their Customer Service and send it in. I'm sure they would love to see that one.

(Edit Assuming you were referring to me and not the original poster, if not then nevermind,lol.)
I have 8 or 9 other Cold Steel Machetes, i'm pretty sure its a legit CS. Heres a pic of the markings.

Last edited:
I've sold a few hundred of the CS Gladius Machetes and have never seen anything approaching that. Are you sure that you have a genuine Cold Steel product? Definitely does not look right to me at all. Call their Customer Service and send it in. I'm sure they would love to see that one.

What makes you think its a fake? Curious for learning...thanks.

Just asking because there really isn't any reason for the grind to stop before it gets all the way to the point, and of all the ones that have come through here, none had anything resembling that. Call and send it in to Cold Steel, I'm sure they will replace it.

I will likely just fix it on my belt sander. I'm used to modding machete grinds so its not a big deal. I posted it here just because its the weirdest grind i've seen on anything so far,lol!

That's an absolute butcher job. There's gobs of metal missing on the right side. I've defended Cold Steel many times, but this grind job was done in the dark, by a drunk, wearing boxing gloves, on a Friday afternoon, while having a seizure.

I would send that atrocity back!

I received a Gladius machete over a month ago with a horrible grind. The edge is extremely dull and uneven. I sent the pictures to Cold Steels customer service right after I received it and have yet to get an answer back from them about what they plan to do to fix this problem. What has your guys experience been with the grinds on Cold Steels machetes? Share your experiences with Cold Steels customer service.
1c74091fa9f9bc631d603b258852a42b.jpg

Check out the right side edge

I received a Gladius machete over a month ago with a horrible grind. The edge is extremely dull and uneven. I sent the pictures to Cold Steels customer service right after I received it and have yet to get an answer back from them about what they plan to do to fix this problem. What has your guys experience been with the grinds on Cold Steels machetes? Share your experiences with Cold Steels customer service.
1c74091fa9f9bc631d603b258852a42b.jpg

Check out the right side edge

How much was that?

Back