• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Manners

Murindo

Gold Member
I sold a knife recently. I saw that it had been received and waited for a communication that the buyer was happy. Today I saw it for sale.

Took the time to take new pics and post the sale but couldn't take the time to PM or email me.

Too many people these days treat forums like a store. The knives are great but the people are the reason to be here.

Seems to me that if somebody buys something, it's his to do with as he pleases. Once money has changed hands and the knife has shipped the buyer has no further obligation to you, so many don't bother. I've had the same thing happen from the other end. I always p.m. the seller and let him know that a knife has arrived safely. Probably half the time there's no response, and no feedback left for me. Nothing I can do about it.

I understand that we like to feel some comraderie here, but it's the internet. You can't control how others use the place.

My last purchase from a BF member went similarly, but it's not a big deal.

Would be nice to have received feedback so I stop showing 0 positive ratings.

It's pretty common, even when you ask them to notify you. Likely only bothers those that care about their sales and are ready to take care of any problems if they occur. I used to send a follow up message to make sure all was OK, but have given up, since only a small % of those were answered.
First thing after opening and inspection, I send a message that it has been received and all is fine, so they know this deal has been completed.
But no confirmation=no positive feedback IMO. It's a fairly minor infraction and I treat it as such, but I consider it a lack of communication

Last edited:
This brings up a question in my mind: Who is responsible for providing feedback first; the buyer or the seller?

Assuming the sale went well.

This brings up a question in my mind: Who is responsible for providing feedback first; the buyer or the seller?

Assuming the sale went well.

It really doesn't matter, but I would say the buyer. The feedback pertains to the sellers actions the most(description of item, communication, fast shipping and good packing). All the buyer does is pay, but it is an important 1 thing :). Plus the buyer is the 1st to know the deal is completed to satisfaction.
I however don't base my giving feedback on getting it

It really doesn't matter, but I would say the buyer. The feedback pertains to the sellers actions the most(description of item, communication, fast shipping and good packing). All the buyer does is pay, but it is an important 1 thing :). Plus the buyer is the 1st to know the deal is completed to satisfaction.
I however don't base my giving feedback on getting it

This. The buyer almost always.

And that question goes full circle to the OP of this thread. The buyer isn't exactly obligated to drop the seller a message saying it was received and satisfactory, but (and besides being the courteous thing to do) it would certainly be prudent if they expect to receive feedback.

I've had many more transactions than I do have feedback, but often communication ends after the sale is made, especially when I'm the seller awaiting the buyer's confirmation on receiving the knife. I try to keep up with transactions and let sellers know when I've received a knife I've bought, and subsequently exchange feedback. However, things happen and I myself have forgotten to get back to folks about knives.

I don't really think it's a big deal. Most of the time I attribute it to people being busy or forgetting rather than being rude to me - I know that I don't intend to offend in those cases where I've forgotten to get back to people.

I get this more and more selling online, tracking shows the knife arrived, and I never here a word from the buyer that they got it, and are happy with it.

The problem is, when, like me, you hold their money and don't use it, until you know the deal is completed, by hearing they are happy.

This has happened so much, that I now start a 72 hour clock from when tracking shows it was delivered, and when it runs out, the deal is done as far as I am concerned.

...and is there a possibility you dodged a bullet?

I don't know the transaction whatsoever, but it may be possible there is a resale due to remorse on what was provided? Rather than take it up with you (because it may have been declared EXACTLY as such, still....) he'd just as soon move it again.

Sometimes no news is good news. And maybe I'm wrong. Just postulating.

I like good community, too. :thumbsup:

It's called
Catch and Release.
I don't care if buyer sells it seconds of receiving it.

If it was flipped for more. That would be a issue for me.

It's called
Catch and Release.
I don't care if buyer sells it seconds of receiving it.

If it was flipped for more. That would be a issue for me.

I believe the OP was referring to being already for sale(and time taken to do so), while he still hadn't been notified by the buyer that the item had been received , not complaining that he was selling it.
But as to your point:
My pace has slowed, but I often did catch and release of items. Item arrived and I decided it did not fit me as well as I had hoped(due to no fault of the seller). I saw no need to put any wear on the item and put it up for sale. I had already notified the original seller that the item arrived safely and thanked them-my preferences are not their fault, though we both may have preferred it to be a perfect fit.
I don't even attempt to profit on knife sales, and have been very successful at loosing money on my sales :).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, for folks who care about relations with others and try to do right by that care, we humans (I include myself in this statement) are at times, not always the best even when simply communicating face to face.

Then add the medium of internet communication and it's various forms certainly muddy or amplify an individuals potential lack of awareness around completing a "conversation" or even, communicating clearly.

Out of sight, out of mind forms of connection to others are lacking important social interaction cues, like obvious consequence to one's personal actions towards another.

From reading this thread, I am grateful that some still try to honor others with considerate and timely follow through.

I'm guessing you tried to PM them and inquire about the sale between you two? The resale of the knife, I could care less about. If it bothers you (no communication) then out them here to save the rest of us this hassle.

Don't see how it's bad manners. Many people don't have the time to chat constantly to strangers their buying from on internet. As seller I always throw out the "lmk when you get it", maybe 30% ever do. Don't blame people for that as people get busy or forget. I have tracking to show that it arrived so don't care. Dont leave fb for buyers til they leave it for me tho to lmk everything went alright for them for sure usually. I always leave fb as buyer I believe. Honestly buy and sell so much on here I forget sometimes.

Many many people only here to buy/sell. Not engage in the forums or make friends. That's doesn't bother me one bit cause as said many people just don't have the time or interest to chat or have enough interest to speak their mind in forums and totally understand that. When cokes to buying selling all I care about is the deal gets done, and I live up to my end.

My issue is, I try to wait for the knife to be received, safe and sound, and for the buyer to be satisfied before I consider the deal done, and the money paid as mine.

I'd appreciate acknowledgement that the deal is done.

As to feedback, it would be nice. I deal infrequently on here. And much of my feedback is older.

Last edited:
Back