• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Manners

Don't see how it's bad manners. Many people don't have the time to chat constantly to strangers their buying from on internet. As seller I always throw out the "lmk when you get it", maybe 30% ever do. Don't blame people for that as people get busy or forget. I have tracking to show that it arrived so don't care. Dont leave fb for buyers til they leave it for me tho to lmk everything went alright for them for sure usually. I always leave fb as buyer I believe. Honestly buy and sell so much on here I forget sometimes.

Many many people only here to buy/sell. Not engage in the forums or make friends. That's doesn't bother me one bit cause as said many people just don't have the time or interest to chat or have enough interest to speak their mind in forums and totally understand that. When cokes to buying selling all I care about is the deal gets done, and I live up to my end.

I would call it bad/poor manners, although not so bad as to feel the need to name names, leave negative feedback, or even deny doing business with them again in the future. Namely for the reasons you mentioned.

Yet it does feel like the internet version of them doing an about face and walking away without a thank you right after money and goods exchange hands.

I usually don't leave feedback on a sales website such as Ebay or Amazon, but knife forums are different. The exchange is just a small part of what is going on here and many have been interacting here for years. My exchange transaction will likely not be the last time we cross paths and even though I have never met a single person from BF, I feel some relationship to them, which is certainly do a little politeness.
USPS tracking is not a 100% guarantee the item was delivered and certainly not that the buyer is satisfied-both of which are important to me and many others here.
Granted people can be very busy and it is possible to forget, but try-it is part of the communication aspect of the sale.
and it is never too late to leave feedback(if you forgot)

I totally agree with the statement above. When I send out a package I make sure to let the person know that the package has been sent, what the tracking number is, and also a picture of the package with the address and USPS items (labels) clearly displayed. I always throw out there a quick word of "please let me know when it lands on your end." Strangely enough the last two transactions here on the forums have produced nothing but silence. Not even a "items arrived...thanks!" It's just strange but hey, in the grand scheme of things it's a very minor issue.

As the seller I always message the buyer upon receipt. I usually ship, wait about a week and if I hear nothing I will message them.

So is life.

The only time I’ve ever had a problem with a catch and release was when the buyer listed it for sale immediately after receipt and reposted the pictures from my ad in his ad. I immediately took the pics down- I had no idea if the knife was in the same condition in his custody and it wasn’t fair to his buyers to represent it in the condition it was in when I sold it to him.

I sold a knife recently. I saw that it had been received and waited for a communication that the buyer was happy. Today I saw it for sale.

Took the time to take new pics and post the sale but couldn't take the time to PM or email me.

Too many people these days treat forums like a store. The knives are great but the people are the reason to be here.

Misplaced expectations? Well, just move along, not everyone shares your social conventions. ;-)

Choombak is right. Some cultures see no need in giving a "thank you" for doing your job or doing what is an expected social norm. American culture may expect a thank you, but your buyer may be in the USA but actually be more rooted in another culture. Plus, the for sale forums are a marketplace, more akin to a bazaar, not a social club.

Or they're just rude like many.

At least they didn't complain.

Or the person didn't care for your manner, and you should be happy they're silent :)

Back