• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad situation with Rick Menefee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame him in the least for not working on the knife, that seems completely reasonable, but the step after that is to inform the customer and send the knife back, not go radio silent for a couple years and then throw a hissy fit.
I'm still under the presumption that we have not seen all the content of the conversations between them back in 2017.

I agree, this situation seems like it should have been a very cut and dried exchange. I think we are not seeing the full content of the conversation from 2017 and neither party seems inclined to fill in the details. I don't think there is enough information here to pass judgment for or against either party, at least in my opinion.

I passed judgement solely based on his actions in this thread.

I'm still under the presumption that we have not seen all the content of the conversations between them back in 2017.

What does any of that have to do with this...?

The Liberal ways and sorry ass men
- always want something for nothing
- tell half truths
- evade answering questions
- stomp ones little feet when they don’t like what is said.
-
Best regards
Rick Menefee

GFY... Grin....
Ricky Bob Menefee

Again, in no way am I supporting the OP. I don't. But I also don't support this public response. He could've easily nailed this with some class and even some sarcasm, even been short, and people would've backed him. But he didn't. He did in fact come back to intentionally edit his original post to be what is shown above.

Clearly, he doesn't care what we think and that's cool. I don't care about his work or business either.

Why? I would think the maker would see fit to mention the incomplete communication rather than posting seemingly random accusations. If he had said the conversation wasn't all there was to it, sure, but if he can't even be bothered to do that much why would I give him the benefit of the doubt?

Why? I would think the maker would see fit to mention the incomplete communication rather than posting seemingly random accusations. If he had said the conversation wasn't all there was to it, sure, but if he can't even be bothered to do that much why would I give him the benefit of the doubt?
I think he did say that, before he edited his post. The whole conversation is not there without a doubt, since the OP said that he told Rick the knife had been on a fire, but that is not stared anywhere in the portion of the conversation he posted.

I think he did say that, before he edited his post. The whole conversation is not there without a doubt, since the OP said that he told Rick the knife had been on a fire, but that is not stared anywhere in the portion of the conversation he posted.
If he said it then retracted it I know who's story I doubt.

The backstory is I bought a knife that had been in a fire. I saw the pictures of it and thought, it doesn't look too bad, maybe it didn't get too hot.

^ :rolleyes: But it clearly did get too hot; documented by your own statement, "the spring broke." You should've just written this off as a learning experience & very poor gamble on your part (Caveat Emptor- buying a knife advertised as being damaged in a fire), & moved along. The fact that over 2 1/2 years later, you decide to start a GBU thread over this non-issue, against an otherwise reputable knife maker, is beyond ludicrous. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

You’re a liar. You wanted me to warranty a knife. That was the first thing you asked me in our conversation. Like I told you, I would fix it if it was my fault. When the knife arrived to me, it was obvious this knife had been considerably damaged from the fire, nothing that would be the maker’s fault. We settled this 2 1/2 years ago and now you want something for nothing. Not my fault When there are temper lines thru the spring. We discussed this. As for my business practices, I’ve done this daily for 25 years and 1000’s of knives. Feel free to search the World Wide Web and find anything in which Rick Menefee has screwed anybody for anything. I go above and beyond to stand behind my work, but this situation, I simply cannot accept responsibility.

GFY... Grin....
Ricky Bob Menefee

^ Maybe once every 10 years or so, everyone is challenged & has to deal with a supreme idiot. If I were a knife maker & I had to deal with this exact same scenario, I would've in all likelihood, responded in this exact same manner as you did. Sometimes, certain individuals need to be told in no uncertain terms's: "GFY" (political correctness or not)! Keep up the great work Ricky Bob! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Public Extortion by the OP 2 1/2 years after the situation was addressed and declined- "We settled this 2 1/2 years ago". It was an unreasonable request and attempt from the start.

Why bring it up again when it was declined 2 1/2 years ago- "I forgot about it for about 2 and a half years! I wanted to give him time"= No.

The only lies I see are on the OP's part.

^ This! :thumbsup: Key word: "unreasonable."
Just reading the OP's statement (quoted again for good measure), this entire situation (initialed by the OP's poor decision) & chain of events that followed, is beyond the realm of being rational/reasonable. The OP is the one who made the decision to gamble, buy a knife that had been advertised as "damaged" in a fire, and he lost! To involve an otherwise very reputable knife maker into his own stupidity...is just wrong on every level. :thumbsdown:

I'd be unprofessional too if I had to deal with this type of BS!

Just restating what I said earlier, that I am withholding judgement since I don't have all the facts. This is my personal opinion, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to change their opinion.

I understand. For me, regardless of past activity or any other context, the conduct of the maker in this thread is enough for me to pass judgement on any potential dealings I would have with him. That now being zero.

You’re a liar. You wanted me to warranty a knife. That was the first thing you asked me in our conversation. Like I told you, I would fix it if it was my fault. When the knife arrived to me, it was obvious this knife had been considerably damaged from the fire, nothing that would be the maker’s fault. We settled this 2 1/2 years ago and now you want something for nothing. Not my fault When there are temper lines thru the spring. We discussed this. As for my business practices, I’ve done this daily for 25 years and 1000’s of knives. Feel free to search the World Wide Web and find anything in which Rick Menefee has screwed anybody for anything. I go above and beyond to stand behind my work, but this situation, I simply cannot accept responsibility.

GFY... Grin....
Ricky Bob Menefee

If he said it then retracted it I know who's story I doubt.

See the bold above. Not sure if that was there originally or edited in, but it's still there now.

OP says he told him the knife was in a fire and the maker says the OP wanted it done under warranty. Neither of these statements are shown in their correspondence posted plus the screenshots start 12/14 with a hello, got a broken back spring and the second message on 12/21 with a picture of the knife.

It really feels like there's a piece or two missing which neither party cares to address.

See the bold above. Not sure if that was there originally or edited in, but it's still there now.

OP says he told him the knife was in a fire and the maker says the OP wanted it done under warranty. Neither of these statements are shown in their correspondence posted plus the screenshots start 12/14 with a hello, got a broken back spring and the second message on 12/21 with a picture of the knife.

It really feels like there's a piece or two missing which neither party cares to address.
That's fair, but since the original point I had made was about his lack of communication for more than 2 years after receiving the knife and his behavior once it was brought up again that's utterly irrelevant to my point.

Here is what I don’t get...sure a maker can have a bad day...but the OP wasnt on the phone with him right? As a professional businessman, wait a day or two for a response if you’re having a bad day. What are the chances that the maker had another “bad day” when the OP revisited the knife 2.5 years later.

Both parties responses/lack of information, is very unprofessional.

I do know, that because of the makers posts in this thread, I wont buy anything from him. I’m sure he is a swell guy, but I’m not gonna take the chance.

Also, I’m not siding with the OP, but as a business minded person...the Makers comments are way past unprofessional.

Only my 2 cents.

Here is what I don’t get...sure a maker can have a bad day...but the OP wasnt on the phone with him right? As a professional businessman, wait a day or two for a response if you’re having a bad day. What are the chances that the maker had another “bad day” when the OP revisited the knife 2.5 years later.

Both parties responses/lack of information, is very unprofessional.

I do know, that because of the makers posts in this thread, I wont buy anything from him. I’m sure he is a swell guy, but I’m not gonna take the chance.

Also, I’m not siding with the OP, but as a business minded person...the Makers comments are way past unprofessional.

Only my 2 cents.
Well said and pretty much the same way I feel.

I had hoped my last post would be my LAST post. But everybody who commented and gave opinions are my peers here who I respect. Good points have been brought up and questions asked. First, all the communication was on Facebook Messenger. No text, no emails, and no phone conversations. My messenger shows exactly what you see above. I have been accused of editing, I have not done that. I do believe more was said in 2017. I don't know why it doesn't show. Mr. Menefee is free to show and substantiate his accusations from his messenger. 2 1/2 years is ridiculous to let this ride on. My bad! For a good portion of this time I just felt that the knife was damaged beyond repair and I didn't worry about it. The maker says we settled this in 2017, this is not true. I never heard a word from him. That's my real issue. So this week it popped into my head and I sent the maker a message. For all I know he might have never received it, which would explain the lack of communication. You have all read it. He claims I now want something done about it, also not true. All I asked was why no reply. He pretty much admits he didn't reply by saying communication is a two way street. I sent him a knife and he inspected it, and wrote me off. How hard is it to send a simple message? Like " sorry man, it's a loss" Seems pretty simple. Far less than his writings here. Now a lot has been said about fixing, costs , responsibility, damage. All pretty irrelevant. He should have responded with something in 2017. But stuff happens, I get it. So lets move along to this week. I inquire and again a simple answer would have done. Like," oh I thought I did, sorry." Instead he just gets shitty. Bad day, maybe. A day later his disposition hasn't improved! In fact he calls me a liar and adds a bunch of lies of his own. Rick claims I asked for warranty, not that I remember. He claims we discussed the knife and the extent of the damage. Absolutely not! And that NOW I want something for nothing. You all can see my message. I did not ask for anything other than a conversation that was long overdue. I posted all the communication that I have on this. I invite Mr. Menefee to post whatever to back up his claims. Did I handle this the best way possible, absolutely not. Him? Again, you decide. To those of you that have been pleased with dealing with this maker, I don't doubt you folks at all. I'm sure he has many happy customers.

I had hoped my last post would be my LAST post. But everybody who commented and gave opinions are my peers here who I respect. Good points have been brought up and questions asked. First, all the communication was on Facebook Messenger. No text, no emails, and no phone conversations. My messenger shows exactly what you see above. I have been accused of editing, I have not done that. I do believe more was said in 2017. I don't know why it doesn't show. Mr. Menefee is free to show and substantiate his accusations from his messenger. 2 1/2 years is ridiculous to let this ride on. My bad! For a good portion of this time I just felt that the knife was damaged beyond repair and I didn't worry about it. The maker says we settled this in 2017, this is not true. I never heard a word from him. That's my real issue. So this week it popped into my head and I sent the maker a message. For all I know he might have never received it, which would explain the lack of communication. You have all read it. He claims I now want something done about it, also not true. All I asked was why no reply. He pretty much admits he didn't reply by saying communication is a two way street. I sent him a knife and he inspected it, and wrote me off. How hard is it to send a simple message? Like " sorry man, it's a loss" Seems pretty simple. Far less than his writings here. Now a lot has been said about fixing, costs , responsibility, damage. All pretty irrelevant. He should have responded with something in 2017. But stuff happens, I get it. So lets move along to this week. I inquire and again a simple answer would have done. Like," oh I thought I did, sorry." Instead he just gets shitty. Bad day, maybe. A day later his disposition hasn't improved! In fact he calls me a liar and adds a bunch of lies of his own. Rick claims I asked for warranty, not that I remember. He claims we discussed the knife and the extent of the damage. Absolutely not! And that NOW I want something for nothing. You all can see my message. I did not ask for anything other than a conversation that was long overdue. I posted all the communication that I have on this. I invite Mr. Menefee to post whatever to back up his claims. Did I handle this the best way possible, absolutely not. Him? Again, you decide. To those of you that have been pleased with dealing with this maker, I don't doubt you folks at all. I'm sure he has many happy customers.

For whatever its worth, I believe you and think you look a whole lot better than the maker in this mess

^ :rolleyes: But it clearly did get too hot; documented by your own statement, "the spring broke." You should've just written this off as a learning experience & very poor gamble on your part (Caveat Emptor- buying a knife advertised as being damaged in a fire), & moved along. The fact that over 2 1/2 years later, you decide to start a GBU thread over this non-issue, against an otherwise reputable knife maker, is beyond ludicrous. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

^ Maybe once every 10 years or so, everyone is challenged & has to deal with a supreme idiot. If I were a knife maker & I had to deal with this exact same scenario, I would've in all likelihood, responded in this exact same manner as you did. Sometimes, certain individuals need to be told in no uncertain terms's: "GFY" (political correctness or not)! Keep up the great work Ricky Bob! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

^ This! :thumbsup: Key word: "unreasonable."
Just reading the OP's statement (quoted again for good measure), this entire situation (initialed by the OP's poor decision) & chain of events that followed, is beyond the realm of being rational/reasonable. The OP is the one who made the decision to gamble, buy a knife that had been advertised as "damaged" in a fire, and he lost! To involve an otherwise very reputable knife maker into his own stupidity...is just wrong on every level. :thumbsdown:

I'd be unprofessional too if I had to deal with this type of BS!
I couldn’t have said it better.

So Rick agreed to take the knife back 2 years ago. knowing it had been in a fire, only to tell a customer it was in a fire and was not his fault?
I would expect a reply 2 years later to be something like "Nothing could be done, i can send it back to you for xx$" or " I can repair it, it will cost xx$"
Instead he goes off on a political rant? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back