Bark River Knives Forum(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if there are any sites with a Bark River Knives forum or is it pretty much being done on Facebook now? I don't do Facebook so I'm not sure.

I'm also wondering if BRKT is going to be doing anymore Bravo Squad Leaders in the near future if anyone should happen to know.

Thanks much.

As far as I know, they never re-settled on a forum after “that other knife website” went down and never came back...

Might try asking @okbohn about the Bravo Squad Leader, as I know he stocks brkt and has a relationship with the folks over there.

Bark River had trouble handling their forum interactions, it's probably best for their company not to have one.

At one time a few years back I frequented the Bark River forum on "that other knife website" but I'd not been on there for quite some time. I appreciated the information that was available there regarding upcoming releases and etc. I do know from reading various posts, that there are those who are not fans of BRKT and I certainly respect that. I've owned, and currently own, several models of Bark River knives and am very satisfied with them.

Recently I ordered another Bark River from okbohn and find my interest in Bark River re-kindled. I'm curious about any upcoming Bravo and Gunny releases thus my search for where that type of information may be available since the other website no longer exists.

Thanks for the responses.

At one time a few years back I frequented the Bark River forum on "that other knife website" but I'd not been on there for quite some time. I appreciated the information that was available there regarding upcoming releases and etc. I do know from reading various posts, that there are those who are not fans of BRKT and I certainly respect that. I've owned, and currently own, several models of Bark River knives and am very satisfied with them.

Recently I ordered another Bark River from okbohn and find my interest in Bark River re-kindled. I'm curious about any upcoming Bravo and Gunny releases thus my search for where that type of information may be available since the other website no longer exists.

Thanks for the responses.

Only have one barkie at the moment: Essential in m4/no bolster that I picked up on the forum. I like it quite a bit; there is no denying how well that thing bites into a piece of wood, and the edge retention on the m4 is great.

Been considering adding a gunny. Btw, gunny vortex in a2 is on closeout currently. Check ksf and dlt if interested. Not sure if there is any stock left though.

BRK def has a history on this forum, but they make a nice knife... I am torn to be honest and tend to hedge toward makers like LT Wright that do not have the added baggage.

Probably won’t keep me from buying another barkie if it speaks to me, but it does give me pause if there is a similar product from another maker...

Last edited:
Don't do Facebook, Zuckerberg creeps me out.

Bark River Knives has a website and I'm happy to say they've actually upgraded it since back when. Decent info and links to dealers.

Some people have a bone to pick with Bark River and never miss a chance to stick it to them. I have bought, sold, traded and still own over a hundred of their knives. I have sent two knives, that I bought used, back for warranty work and one or two back for Spa treatment. Always top quality work and none of the personality issues I hear stories about. Makes me think the nay sayers are the problem, not Bark River.
I was an active user of the other forum. Mike and a couple of the dealers made an offer to buy the forum and run it, but the owners preferred to run it into the ground. As far as I know, the Bark River activity is mainly on FaceBook. I'm not a FB user and probably never will be, but know others who do visit there and they say it is very active.

Some people have a bone to pick with Bark River and never miss a chance to stick it to them. I have bought, sold, traded and still own over a hundred of their knives. I have sent two knives, that I bought used, back for warranty work and one or two back for Spa treatment. Always top quality work and none of the personality issues I hear stories about. Makes me think the nay sayers are the problem, not Bark River.
I was an active user of the other forum. Mike and a couple of the dealers made an offer to buy the forum and run it, but the owners preferred to run it into the ground. As far as I know, the Bark River activity is mainly on FaceBook. I'm not a FB user and probably never will be, but know others who do visit there and they say it is very active.

Nice to see You around! :thumbsup:
I'm a non-active member of the Bark River FB site and the activity there is indeed intensive.
I read some of the posts, but I'm more comfortable with the forumformate like BladeForums.

As a side note to those who doesn't know the Bark River brand, Mike Stewart still take care of the knives he did in the past, like the Black Jack's and Marble's.
Today Bark River are also making the USA made Black Jack's & Marble's.

Personally I have always been treated well by Mike in a both friendly and helpful way.
When getting new knives today I'm more into traditional folders like GEC, but a small Bark River is on my list to get.

Regards
Mikael

I was just wondering about this myself after reading about a new Teddy knife's edge folding over after cutting some small branches here on BF in the testing and reviews section/forum. I'm curious as to why BR doesn't have a forum here also.

I was just wondering about this myself after reading about a new Teddy knife's edge folding over after cutting some small branches here on BF in the testing and reviews section/forum. I'm curious as to why BR doesn't have a forum here also.

I just looked at the Teddy review and I recognize those kind of ripples in the edge.
It has happened on a couple of my Bark River knives.( I have about 30 BR's.)
I didn't send them in as I have learnt to regrind an edge on my 1" x 30" beltsander.
After putting new edges on the knives they perform as to be expected.

I bought my first BR ten years ago and I still have it and I plan to keep it together with every BR I have.

Regards
Mikael

Mike Stewart is a sleezy shady individual. A little research goes a long way. His jerking around of people right here on this forum is well documented.

I won't spoon feed anyone the past, but it is there to be found. On top of Mike Stewart being a turd, Bark river has a reputation for sending out knives in the wrong steel. Also well documented.

I couldn't care less if someone has 1,000,000 bark river knives. Chances are with a high number of knives each knife isn't being used enough to actually discern anything. I mean how long can you use each knife for? Give every knife a year of solid use to evaluate it? Yea ok.

Facts are facts. Research Mike's history and his companies issues.

Mike Stewart is a sleezy shady individual. A little research goes a long way. His jerking around of people right here on this forum is well documented.

I won't spoon feed anyone the past, but it is there to be found. On top of Mike Stewart being a turd, Bark river has a reputation for sending out knives in the wrong steel. Also well documented.

I couldn't care less if someone has 1,000,000 bark river knives. Chances are with a high number of knives each knife isn't being used enough to actually discern anything. I mean how long can you use each knife for? Give every knife a year of solid use to evaluate it? Yea ok.

Yep, facts are facts.
I have heard both sides of the storie's and after this I have made my mind up.
I think Mike Stewart adds more to the knifecommunity, than what he takes.
For me it takes about 6 months of use to evaluate a knife, sometimes more, sometimes less.
I don't buy knives very often these days, because I'm busy using the knives I already got.

Regards
Mikael

Yep, facts are facts.
I have heard both sides of the storie's and after this I have made my mind up.
I think Mike Stewart adds more to the knifecommunity, than what he takes.
For me it takes about 6 months of use to evaluate a knife, sometimes more, sometimes less.
I don't buy knives very often these days, because I'm busy using the knives I already got.

Regards
Mikael
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I just figure I'd sprinkle some truth as to why Mike has drawn the ire of many. It isn't because he is a stand up guy with an impeccable track record for quality.

I actually just mailed out the Teddy II to Bark River. I requested a replacement. I know how to reset a grind and could have made it more obtuse or done a secondary bevel but I don’t think that is right. The edge was not too thin with A2 steel to ever warp with cutting a couple PINE limbs. PINE!!!! It was just a bad heat treat and every company has bad items that make it out the door sometimes. Im not mad about it. I have used my bravo 1 to baton, cut a bunch of stuff, etc and it’s a full height grind version with a good thin full convex edge. I know their A2 should not behave the way the Teddy II did. I’ll keep y’all posted.

I actually just mailed out the Teddy II to Bark River. I requested a replacement. I know how to reset a grind and could have made it more obtuse or done a secondary bevel but I don’t think that is right. The edge was not too thin with A2 steel to ever warp with cutting a couple PINE limbs. PINE!!!! It was just a bad heat treat and every company has bad items that make it out the door sometimes. Im not mad about it. I have used my bravo 1 to baton, cut a bunch of stuff, etc and it’s a full height grind version with a good thin full convex edge. I know their A2 should not behave the way the Teddy II did. I’ll keep y’all posted.

I agree, it should not behave like it did!
My belief is that it has gone too hot on the grinder when setting the edge after the heat treatment, not the heat treatment itself.

Regards
Mikael

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I just figure I'd sprinkle some truth as to why Mike has drawn the ire of many. It isn't because he is a stand up guy with an impeccable track record for quality.

There has been a lot of Bark River bad edges posted around the knifecommunity over the years.
I have certainly got my share of lemons and I'm not unaware of their track records, but I'm also aware of the other side of the spectrum.
The knives I have and use are too good anyway, so I continue to use and enjoy them.
That's just me and I respect if others feel in a differrent way.

Regards
Mikael

You bring up a good point. I was able to read some infamous threads before they vanished a few years back. After reading them, I was less inclined to give Mike the benefit of doubt that I afforded him before. I think people compartmentalize things like Mikael W did. Personally I find Mike an entertaining character, but I never pulled the trigger on any knives.

There has been a lot of Bark River bad edges posted around the knifecommunity over the years.
I have certainly got my share of lemons and I'm not unaware of their track records, but I'm also aware of the other side of the spectrum.
The knives I have and use are too good anyway, so I continue to use and enjoy them.
That's just me and I respect if others feel in a differrent way.

Regards
Mikael
Their issues have been more than burnt edges. Fair enough though, nothing wrong with differing views/opinions.

I appreciate knowing at least, that most of what I'm looking for seems to be on Faceback. Too bad I have no intention of creating a FB account and going there.

Love em or hate em, I think it would be great to have a designated Bark River forum here on Bladeforums but I obviously have zero input on that issue... Mods, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back