Basic Urban Survival Folder

Thanks for the reply, Steve. Whatever happens, you must keep the BUSTR alive. MUST!! :)
Have a good weekend my friend!
Rolf

I recieved the blades from Koyote in the mail this morning. These look very nice and will be rough and tough enough to take quite a bit of use. I believe these should work very well. Christof you did an excellent job on these. I think they'll be quite tough and very cool additions to this model. I'm very pleased with them. Thanks :thumbup:

I really want to work on these BUSSTR folders guys but I did start some other things in the interim waiting for the blades so I figure I'll finish one project before moving into any other ones. It will be hard to stand back looking at these though but in time I'll start knocking these last ones out for you guys remaining on the first run of ten folders.

Again for those of you not aware, the first run was ten knives and all are spoken for. I've listed nine of them on page seven. The tenth is a special one I am giving away but I do have ten more locks and liners on order from Dave and will get those sometime in the future. I already have a couple people on that list and a few to add to it yet that have contacted me but have not edited it to do that. Once this second run is done I'm going to take a step back and break from the BUSSTR for a bit but I will offer it again I'm sure.

Anyway, stay tuned. We'll get her done and you guys will have your knives hopefully sooner rather than later. Just bear with me for a little while longer. Thanks ;)

STR

Great Steve, can't wait to see the Koyote blades!

Can you make one change to my order, can you drill some holes for tip down carry as well?

Well I couldn't resist the temptation to see how one of these Koyote blades was going to go so I could get all my ducks in a row. Besides that I screwed up a piece of nice wood on the other project I was working on and need to wait to get that in the mail to replace it anyways so I figured why not play a little on Sunday.

Anyway, Christof your folder is done. I've shown yours here fresh out of the bead blast cabinet compared to my original Cobbler blade model that is well smoothed down Micarta and darker from handling it. Yours will be that way soon I'm sure but I figured this was a good way to gain some perspective of the blade thickness differences. The Cobbler blade measures about .064 thickness and the Christof blade .095 respectively.

I had a bit of trouble figuring out what to use for a rear spacer on your model. Fortunately I had some aluminum that worked out very well so I cut out a piece of that since the G10 I had been using fell short for thickness. Its still breaking in some and is working in but I'm going to leave the rest of that up to you. I'll post some pics here. Most will go to my blog which you can click on at the bottom of my post and if you want to see the rest they'll be there when I load them as well as the ones I load up here.

Thanks for looking. Final weight on yours without a clip is 3.4 ounces.

STR

Attachments

• DSCF0005b.JPG
    DSCF0005b.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0002b.JPG
    DSCF0002b.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0007b.jpg
    DSCF0007b.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 55
hey, next batch I can send you some scrap pieces of the steel if you want for spacers!

Damn, that is awesome looking.

Actually they have to be .030 to .040 thicker than the blade so that when you add the washers it is all even or within tolerance. The blade is .095 but once you add .020 washers on each side it means the spacer has to be as thick as the blade and the washers. You have some leeway to play with and can come close before the naked eye picks up there is any difference. But usually .010 either way will fall in there and work. I prefer thicker than thin but unless the other blades are off by a lot in the thickness of this first one I have plenty of that aluminum.

Hope that makes sense. You never said anything about a pocket clip and even if I had made one I don't know how you would want it so unless you wanted one its ready to ship out tomorrow.

STR

Steve,
If there is an opening on the second BUSSTR run I'll take one with a Koyote blade.

I really like the mine with the Cobbler blade..... :thumbup:
.......... I think it needs a companion though. :D

Let me know,
chuck

I believe so. I'll put you down Chuck but do be aware these are not the same price. The ones with Christof's blades will run $175 with no clip. $200 with.

Thanks

STR

I'm 50/50 on clips. They don't always seem to work for me. So it's cool.

I just got done doing a bunch of shop refitting, grinder is back up and I'll be able to put a few more along to you.

I'm 50/50 on clips. They don't always seem to work for me. So it's cool.

I just got done doing a bunch of shop refitting, grinder is back up and I'll be able to put a few more along to you.

No worries then.. Its packed up and label printed and on the box to mail out in the morning to you. Keep in mind these surfaces are bead blasted and the washers are the Nylatron type similar to what Emerson uses in their knives and they will smooth out over time once the bead blasted surface of the liners and the washers smooth down some and mate up to each other from friction polishing. It may be a bit tight for your taste right now but if its like others so far it should work in very shortly if you just leave it where it is and work it before making adjustments. I wrapped it good and then its got the maintenance instructions wrapped around the bubble wrap which I include for everyone so some of that will be generic info for you that you don't need but I included it anyways. :thumbup:

STR

I believe so. I'll put you down Chuck but do be aware these are not the same price. The ones with Christof's blades will run $175 with no clip. $200 with.
Thanks
STR

Thank you my friend.

Let's go with RH carry, Tip Up.

I'm not sure if the handle choices are the same or not..... Please advise.
Otherwise, Red looks good.

Thanks again,
chuck

Chuck we'll have to see on the handle choice. I am thinking G10 next run because I've used up quite a bit of my micarta.

I'll inventory what I have for sure as I get closer.

I know some of them off the top of my head and those that I do know I have for sure are, black, blue, red and black, black and tan, teal, and hunter orange. All this is smooth G10 which I can contour similar to the way I did the Micarta.

The textured I'd probably opt to leave 'square' to make use of that texturing since it costs more to get textured G10 when I buy it. What I have in textured is Coyote Brown, Ranger Green, and I think I have a little of the black textured left. I also have hunter orange textured G10 but its .080 thickness and I'm not sure it would work. I would have to see if thats too thin. I suspect it is.

STR

Chuck we'll have to see on the handle choice. I am thinking G10 next run because I've used up quite a bit of my micarta.

I'll inventory what I have for sure as I get closer.

I know some of them off the top of my head and those that I do know I have for sure are, black, blue, red and black, black and tan, teal, and hunter orange. All this is smooth G10 which I can contour similar to the way I did the Micarta.

STR

10-4, I understand Steve... I'll be on the look out for all the choices when you do the inventory. :thumbup:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say last night..... I want a lanyard hole also. :)

Thank you sir.......

I figured you wanted it just as the last one. I started Mapper's today but didn't get it done before the wife pulled me out for something more important. :eek: Contrary to what I may think she really does mean now when she asks for something. :D

Anyway, thanks Chuck I'll get her done. These Christof blade models are coming out pretty good. At least I think so. I mean they still stick with the original intent of being bare bones and basic no frills folders but still excel in function and form. I may yet do a couple real spit shined ones once I catch up just to compare but for now I'm rather liking this primitive bare bones get after it user knife I've come up with.

STR

Just to let you guys know the status I am currently working on Deacon's Stretch as well as Mapper66's BUSSTR folder but my tennis elbow started bothering me really bad again after that last M-Wave so I decided to give it a rest for a couple or three days to calm down. Some days I can't even grip well with the one hand thanks to that old injury so its just one of the things that comes up now and then. Soon as I feel like I have a couple more good days in my arm I'll get back after it.

Thanks for your patience.
STR

Got mine in! Wonderful. really. Just what I want a lockblade to be.

Good to hear. After I mailed it off I kept going over in my head trying to remember if I went all around the edges to take off any sharp edges on the scales or not. Forgive me if I overlooked it. I usually run those down just enough to make them smooth so if I neglected to do that for yours you may want to run a fine dremmel down the edges taking the apex off to bevel them some. I use my KMG and a 2" wheel usually but a dremmel will work fine. Also if you decide later you want the clip I can do that for you pretty easy.

STR

I'm glad you didn't knock the corners down. I'm generally a huge fan of big fat round handles, but on this one, the more angular edges actually feel perfect. I'm really happy to have this.

I'm going to try and get koyote girl to work up a belt sheath for fun. If she does one SHE is happy with, I'll post for anyone who wants one.

I'm glad you didn't knock the corners down. I'm generally a huge fan of big fat round handles, but on this one, the more angular edges actually feel perfect. I'm really happy to have this.

I'm going to try and get koyote girl to work up a belt sheath for fun. If she does one SHE is happy with, I'll post for anyone who wants one.

Well great then. I round them some but with thinner micarta like that you can only go so far anyways so I take them to where I can notice a bit of an anatomy curve to the handles and leave it. I like the bead blasted micarta finish too. That brown goes through a honey and then a darker brown color change as you use it which is kind of cool too. I can't tell you how many people see mine and ask me what kind of wood it is. :D

By the way I love your wife's leather work. She is quite talented. I kind of thought to myself that she would be making a belt carry sheath for it when I mailed it off. If she does I look foward to seeing it as I'm sure the other guys do too that like that carry method.

Thanks again Christof for your collaboration with me on these. You'll get another one from the next run maybe with one of your Wharny blades. I'm quite happy that we did this. Its been fun.

Now if I can just get the rest of these BUSSTR folders going in relative comfort I'll be ok. That M-Wave I knocked out got me the other day. Sometimes those big frame locks stick really bad when I do a first test fire of the lock up and that one stuck like a vise gripped bank vault and really tweaked my tendon all the way up my right arm when I forced my thumb into it to free it up. Now, two days later I'm lucky to grip my own knife for any kind of real work but fortunately typing doesn't seem to bother me as much although that can if I twist my arm the wrong way. God I hate gettin' old! :mad: I've got my left handed knives out today. So we'll see how the motrin works here when it kicks in and go from there.

STR

Didn't want to hijack the thread, but Steve says "go forth and post thus the photographs" or something similar.

Koyote Girl's prototype belt carrier for my BUSSTR- (she says she's goign to widen the front leather a touch to give a bit looser waterform- mine is tight enough to use as inverted tactical carry!!!)

buster-pouch-1.jpg

buster-pouch-2.jpg

buster-pouch-3.jpg

Back