Basket Stamping with Horsewright

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been talking a lot with several folks lately about basket stamping. Finished all my Christmas orders and got em shipped, so I thought I'd take a few pics and do a little tutorial on how I basket stamp. Maybe help some other folks too besides the several I was talking with.

First I need to mention there are lots of ways of doing this. None of them are wrong. This is just a method that has developed and evolved over the years that works well in our shop, for us. My hope is that ya might find something here to help ya too.

So we're gonna be tooling a holster for 5" 1911 with a rail. This holster is for myself, so it got to wait for some down time. Our leather is Wicket and Craig 8/10 oz russet skirting. In this pic the stitching lines have been laid out, the top and bottom has been creased and edged and rubbed and the leather has been dampened with a water/Pro Carv solution. We are waiting a couple of minutes for the darker, more damp spot to even out.

CA19xDC.jpg

First tooling we're gonna do is the border. This is where I move away from how basket stamping as traditionally done. Most folks will tell ya to do the basket stamping first and then do your border. I use to do it this way. I found that it took a lot more time and ya opened your self up to the chances of a lot more errors doing it that way. This occurred when ya had to come back and line up your basket stamp just so, and angle it just so, to get it right up to the border after you'd stamped the border. Doing the border first has proven, over time, to save time and give ya a more finished project because you are eliminating a lot of those chances of error. Here I'm using a regular camo border stamp on this holster and I stamp the four corners first. The top right is still a little damp but we can get to work. Just don't strike your stamp as hard there.

Upq07dH.jpg

After each corner is stamped I come back with a small seeder behind each corner stamp. Not necessary, just a little something. Doing the border stamp itself is another place I kind of move away from tradition. Many folks and most books will tell ya to draw a line, cut it and bevel it for your border stamp. I quit doing this many years ago. I have thousands of projects out in the real world getting beat to death. I have cowboyed with guys that I'd made basket stamped leggings for many years prior. I started noticing that the cut and bevelled line was a place that used and abuse leather started cracking first. So I quit doing it. This deviation has helped my leather work to last longer when getting used hard. Another little trick that this pic shows is to border stamp towards each other. That is, just don't start on the left and go to the right corner. When you are starting to close in, alternate, one on the right, one on the left, one on the right etc. This will enable you to judge the spacing better and not have to squish the last one in a space smaller than the stamp or have a lot of excess space around the last one. It won't work every time, sometimes ya still gonna squish or blank space but about 8 out of 10 times I betcha its gonna help.

8l51ABu.jpg

Ok got our border all stamped and now we're gonna need a pokey tool and a straight edge. Using the pokey tool and the straight edge, scribe a line across at an angle diagonally. I think that basket stamp done on the diagonal looks better. The only project I do straight is a belt. I admire guys that can stamp a belt diagonally and keep everything lined up. Its not easy and not often accomplished, so I go straight and scribe my line the whole length down the center of a belt.

Exv3SPr.jpg

VyzLu2W.jpg

Once you have your line scribed start at one end and stamp with your basket stamp with both prongs of the same side of the stamp, on the line. Then alternate side to side the whole length of the line. I rotate the project around 180 degrees each stamp so that I can make sure that the prongs are lined up on the line before stamping.

Tsfv1GP.jpg

PkkK6z6.jpg

Another straying from tradition and most folks do this now a days but use to be that ya'd be told to overlap the prongs 1/10th of an inch or so. Most folks today and we do too, overlap the prongs completely. Much easier to get a uniform pattern that way than trying to guesstimate a 1/10th of an inch each time ya smack your stamp. So now I turn the project sideways and hold it down with my bean bags. Whatcha gonna do is fill in the blanks. You are literally gonna start at one end and put the tool into the prong impressions already stamped. Line everything up straight and stamp. I'll usually start on the left and go all the way to the right and then come back to the left. This allows me to more accurately fit in the stamping at the border. Angle your tool away from where you don't want to stamp when you get close and are doing the stamping close to the border.

xxp1EeV.jpg

Literally back and forth until you have filled in that upper space. Then flip your project over and do it again.

XTayLVQ.jpg

5DohjXe.jpg

l6rQpyi.jpg

There, thats pretty much it.

bpycjKm.jpg

I'll give it a visual look over and see if there is any over strikes into the border or any spots where I might have not got as close to the border as I wanted. I was good with that but did have a couple of overstrikes. So I stamped the border again. I have found that you get a much more uniform appearance if you stamp the entire border not just where ya have the overstrikes. Takes about a minute and a half cause ya already know where to put the stamp.

HNpkig9.jpg

Thats pretty much it. Its not that difficult. Once you get some practice in ya can get some really good work done pretty darn quickly. If I wasn't stopping to take pics, I'd guess tooling that holster would take about ten minutes or so. Hope this little tutorial was some help to ya. Any questions or statements always welcome.

Nice explanation Dave. I tried a belt with a diagonal basket stamp once. Never ever again. It looked more like a spiral when I was done no matter how careful I thought I was.
Randy

Thank you for taking the time to do this! Very clear!

• What size/weight maul do you like to use for this work?
  • Could you still attempt to bevel a boarder that hasn't been cut?
  • In this scenario what tool did you use to lay out your tooling boarder? A groover?
  • When you case with water/Pro Carv, do you fully submerge? I recently was able to watch a Paul Long sheath video and noticed his spray bottle and thought that was neat-o.
    • How does the Pro Carv help?

Wish I could angle my basket stamp near the border like this project shows, good job Dave. My next project I’ll try doing the border first, maybe it will force me to pay more attention and angle better near the border.

Great tutorial, Dave!

Thanks Amy!

Nice explanation Dave. I tried a belt with a diagonal basket stamp once. Never ever again. It looked more like a spiral when I was done no matter how careful I thought I was.
Randy

Thanks Randy. Why so many of em are roll embossed for sure.

Thank you for taking the time to do this! Very clear!

• What size/weight maul do you like to use for this work?
  • Could you still attempt to bevel a boarder that hasn't been cut?
  • In this scenario what tool did you use to lay out your tooling boarder? A groover?
  • When you case with water/Pro Carv, do you fully submerge? I recently was able to watch a Paul Long sheath video and noticed his spray bottle and thought that was neat-o.
    • How does the Pro Carv help?

Ya bet buddy. Thanks.

I use a 2lb maul, for all tooling.

Yes I guess you could but I've never tried that in this situation with basket stamping. I do that on carved initials. I'll bevel around the initial from a stamp, no cutting. But I would be hesitant to try that on anything that curves. Such as continuing the stamping around the throat of the scabbard. I don't stamp across a bend for the same reasons I don't cut and bevel a border. I've seen that be the wear point that wears out before the rest of the project.

nwJOjQ0.jpg

Both sides are bordered by the stitching groove done with with a straight groover freehand. The top and bottom border is based on the creased line done with an adjustable creaser. That creaser you showed on IG the other day is a non adjustable one and will have a number say a #5 up near the handle on the shank. Its used to crease an edge such as the top or the bottom of this holster. Different sizes for how far in from the edge you want the creased line. The camo border is then eyeballed along these parameters, I don't mark anything.

Depends on what I'm doing. Most of the time I use a sponge to apply the water/Pro Carv to a project. A feed store or Tractor Supply will have sponges designed for cleaning tack and these work well. I will sometimes cut them in half or something. I don't need a particularly big piece. I like a relatively dense sponge not the open celled ones. 2"x2" is what is out there right now. Something carved or doing a Carlos border stamp I'll dunk first, pretty much in and out. Wet molding, its floated in the mixture till it sinks.

Pro Carv allows you to manipulate your leather in many different ways the same as casing does. With out the time investment or hassle of casing. To get a decent stamp you need: 1) Decent leather, 2) Decent tool, 3) Correct moisture in the leather, uniform, level and correct (striking) force applied to the stamp. In the last 10 plus years since I found out about Pro Carv, I have only traditionally cased only one type of project, tapaderos. Everything else is done with the Pro Carv. It basically takes the work out of #3 and handles it for ya.

1mnu1IW.jpg

kc4hoHw.jpg

These are made out of 13/15 oz saddle leather. I case this leather just to cut them out and then there is a lot of pinching, molding and folding that needs to happen that is dang near impossible if the leather is not cased properly. I know I've tried doing them without casing the leather. Traditional casing is dunking the leather in warm water until bubbles stop coming out. Then taking it out and wrapping it in a wool blanket and leaving it overnight. Next day your leather is ready to work but you still may have to wait awhile to make sure its just right not too spongy. Pro Carv on smaller projects gives you leather ready to manipulate very quickly. I can't stress how much of a believer in this stuff I am. Since being introduced to it by a friend those 10 plus years ago, my water bucket that is always on the work bench, has NEVER not had Pro Carv in it.

Last edited:
Wish I could angle my basket stamp near the border like this project shows, good job Dave. My next project I’ll try doing the border first, maybe it will force me to pay more attention and angle better near the border.

Thanks, yeah give er a try! See if it works for ya. Getting those transitions from the basket stamp to the border is pretty important.

Thank you Dave ... LOTS of good tips here.

I am now confused about something: I have been marking my stitching lines around the edges of my sheaths with an edge groover, and use that to boarder my tooling - BUT now I am seeing more references to a creaser... serving the same purpose??? Under what circumstances do you use a creaser, and under what circumstances do you use an edge groover? (If it makes a difference, I am hand stitching...)

Oh ... another question: do you also case/wet down the non-tooled side? The leather DOES shrink after it dries....

Thank you Dave ... LOTS of good tips here.

I am now confused about something: I have been marking my stitching lines around the edges of my sheaths with an edge groover, and use that to boarder my tooling - BUT now I am seeing more references to a creaser... serving the same purpose??? Under what circumstances do you use a creaser, and under what circumstances do you use an edge groover? (If it makes a difference, I am hand stitching...)

A creaser makes a decorative line that is impressed not grooved like a stitching groover. I use a crease on just about any unstitched edge see the top of this folder sheath and the top of the holster. I use a groover where I'm stitching:

co6nt2y.jpg

O4yfO9z.jpg

I have seen folks use a groover as a creaser but then you are gouging out leather. Not quite as refined. I do do that on one specific project because I never know where that stitching groove is gonna end and the crease begin until its too late. So I've gone to using the gouger all the way and stitching to where I can, the rest becoming a decorative crease. That project is where the tabs on this breastcollar/martingale fold over the D rings.

9yP3YzQ.jpg

But the straps depending on the leather type used are creased. This is an older martingale where I was kinda going through a stage. I'd stopped trying to crease because I didn't know where the gouge was gonna end, this one I gouged after the folding and glueing of the tabs. After a while I'd decided to try the gouge the whole length of the tab before the folding and this has worked the best and I've stayed with this proceedure but only for this project, for some years now :

lyjAFDr.jpg

Oh ... another question: do you also case/wet down the non-tooled side? The leather DOES shrink after it dries....

Nope I only case the working side. Shrinkage doesn't seem to be a problem.

Beautiful tooling work!

Thanks.

Nope I only case the working side. Shrinkage doesn't seem to be a problem.
thanks for the response Dave. Looks like I need to get me a creasing tool....... (in addition to all the other ones I now find I need.... :) ).

The shrinkage I am seeing must be (once again) that cheap leather I have been learning on. I actually am waiting on a delivery today of a new side from Wickett and Craig .... I suspect I will be seeing a big difference with their product....

thanks for the response Dave. Looks like I need to get me a creasing tool....... (in addition to all the other ones I now find I need.... :) ).

The shrinkage I am seeing must be (once again) that cheap leather I have been learning on. I actually am waiting on a delivery today of a new side from Wickett and Craig .... I suspect I will be seeing a big difference with their product....

Yep ya will. Good leather really makes a difference.

Word to that! Wicket and Craig changed my world!

Horsewright Horsewright thanks as always for all the detail! This is turning out to be another epic tutorial thread! I'm sure you've cover this before and I missed it. What is the ratio on your water pro carv solution? Do you simply store it in a bucket next to your work bench? How long does it last before needing to be changed out?

Ya bet. The bottle says 1 part Pro Carv to 10 parts water. Honestly, I just pour some in and then fill with water, I don't get crazy with measuring. Not so much as a bucket as it is a large tupperware thingy and it lives on the bench all the time. Nichole has a smaller tupperware thingy on her bench. Mine is big enough that I can put three pancake sheaths in it at once for wet molding. I'll change it out once the level gets low enough I can't sink sheaths in it any more. Occasionally it'll get quite a bit below that and I keep using it if I'm just applying with a sponge. Also, occasionally, if I haven't been doing batches of sheaths were I use it all up it might get dirty and I'll change it out. But if its just got a leather tint to it I keep on motoring on. Here's an old pic. The Pro Carv water mixture has taken on a leather color from use but is not dirty. There is still enough volume left for the holster to sink and that is what we are waiting for. Thats my signal. After it sinks I'll immediately pull it out, trim excess, sand edges, edge edges, punch slots, edge them and rub edges to round them up. Bout this time the moisture content is ideal for wet molding the holster.

a9pCRjf.jpg

Last edited:
You do beautiful work, Dave! Thanks for this tutorial. I need to get me some of those bean bags. I have a bad habit of trying to rest my hands on the leather.
The next time I order some leather stuff I'll try to remember to get some of that Pro Carv. And a basket stamp.

Dave - you mention bean bags, but I just don’t find them in search anywhere. What are they? (They look like just two pieces of leather sewn together...). Did you make them ... or can they be bought somewhere?

You do beautiful work, Dave! Thanks for this tutorial. I need to get me some of those bean bags. I have a bad habit of trying to rest my hands on the leather.
The next time I order some leather stuff I'll try to remember to get some of that Pro Carv. And a basket stamp.

Thanks!

Dave - you mention bean bags, but I just don’t find them in search anywhere. What are they? (They look like just two pieces of leather sewn together...). Did you make them ... or can they be bought somewhere?

Yeah the bean bags are just pieces of scrap chap leather filled with lead shot for reloading shotgun shells. We made em up ourselves, never seen em for sale. Every pro I know has several on their bench. Kinda tough to find the shot these days. Always tough to find around here anyways cause the windmill industry here buys it all for balancing blades. The bags are handy for holding projects down like above, holding patterns down while tracing etc. Also handy when I got the doors open and the winds blowing in from the desert. They keep my order forms from blowing around. I've got four and Nichole has three.

Got it. Since here in the frozen tundra above the 45th parallel, while we do have winds (like the blizzard today!), but the temp is pushing zero, we work INDOORS :). ). So I will rig something not so severely weighted out of my old cheap leather.

between you and me though ... I would prefer the heat of a santa anna versus an Alberta clipper :)

Dave,

Thanks for your thorough tutorial. You do such beautiful work and it's helpful when you explain some of the tricks you've learned to make it that way. I'd love to do some basket weave stamping someday but the "right" sheath hasn't presented itself yet. But I'll save this thread on my list of important information from pro's.

Back