Basket Stamping with Horsewright

I feel like this is relevant to this thread... Don't buy cheap stamps! :mad:

Guess I'm in the market for a new camouflage boarder tool...

Edit: Currently looking at the Tandy D435 Craftool Border Stamp 6435-00 :D - Stamp dimensions: 9/32x1/4... seems like a decent size. Little smaller than what I was using.

Ah yep, I've had em bend too. Those angled basket stamps have never worked for me. Personal taste thing I think.

You're gonna love dat BK Maul, brewbear. Don't know how to explain it but my stamping is a whole lot more uniform with this new 2 pound BK. I'd have poo-pooed anyone who told me to expect that though!

You're gonna love dat BK Maul, brewbear. Don't know how to explain it but my stamping is a whole lot more uniform with this new 2 pound BK. I'd have poo-pooed anyone who told me to expect that though!
I believe it! I've stopped following the advice from "experts" on Youtube, I truly believe you guys! You know what you're doing and whenever you give advice it is another one of those little pearls (mentioned elsewhere) that I gather.

Well, I don't think I fit into that category. Just passing on my experience with the maul. :D
We all tend to be a little critical of our work but when I look at the pics posted, yours included, and then look at my attempts, I know I've got a long way to go. Now I'm searching for a splitter/skiever and reading the threads in this forum got me thinking I should stick to what I learned and done a lifetime. I tell you, genetic testing is a cinch compared to what you guys do!

Thanks for the "flowers", but I don't really deserve them.

I, too, would like a splitter. After searching all the prices, I think I'm going to have to lean on my skills and make one. I've got too many irons in too many fires and don't need to stop and make a splitter, but I've way more time than money.

Question for Dave Ferry: Why do you prefer Weldwood in the Green can over any of the other Weldwood contact cements?

Dave - a question: a number of times you have mentioned a "pokey tool". Is this just an awl??? at Springfield I do not see anything listed as a "pokey tool"..... (but do see them listed on Etsy and a few other places on the web. I am about to place an order at Springfield for some desperately needed tools and punches, and hope to get one of your "pokey things" :)

..... my dear wife got me a good maul for christmas :) I will not even admit what I have been using up until now.........

Question for Dave Ferry: Why do you prefer Weldwood in the Green can over any of the other Weldwood contact cements?

Better bonding, works on wider variety of leathers particularly oily ones, far fewer and much cleaner glue lines, thins and cleans up with water if needed and NO brain cell eating fumes! I do keep a small bottle of red weld wood around for chap zippers, that’s it.

Glue question: Have any of you folks tried Renia Aquilim 315 ? It is water based and in my several attempts at leatherwork is it sticks, well,...like glue. Just wondering if I need to buy a different glue or stick (pun intended) with this one.

Dave - a question: a number of times you have mentioned a "pokey tool". Is this just an awl??? at Springfield I do not see anything listed as a "pokey tool"..... (but do see them listed on Etsy and a few other places on the web. I am about to place an order at Springfield for some desperately needed tools and punches, and hope to get one of your "pokey things" :)

..... my dear wife got me a good maul for christmas :) I will not even admit what I have been using up until now.........

Here ya go, pokey tool, at least one end is. Seldom use the other end:

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Modeler-Osborne-471

Ya find that maul makes a difference.

Thanks. Couldn't find it anywhere in town, so just ordered it online.

I get it by the gallon at our local Home Depot store. We pour it into ketchup squeeze bottles for use.

I tried, ACE Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target, Atwoods, Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight and various paint stores. :confused: (almost spent as much on gasoline as I did a quart of the stuff online!) ;) Believe me, if anyone in my area had it, I'd have come home with some! :D No problem...........it's on it's way.

Dave you are an awesome gentleman. Your tutorials are first class and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Way better...

Japan Select stamp on right. Cheap China stamp on left.

The Japan Select stamp seems to be way more robust.... way better made and deeper too.

J. Keeton J. Keeton , thank you for posting the above shot, I often wondered about the quality of the Japan Select stamps but chose to save my pennies and buy one BK stamp rather than a couple of other manufacturer's stamps. Now I know better.

Back