"Beat the Hell out of it sword" (under $200.) ??? Yep, I'm gonna' be that guy.

Okay, I've just recently chimed in on the 'sword discussion' forum, but I've been using knives for 23 years in northern MN (pocket to Bowie). I'm not 'traditional', I'm not a 'practitioner', I'm just J.Davey. Yes, I have multiple machetes, so don't bother with those type of suggestions (please). The thing is, I want an inexpensive cutting sword to bring along on my 'no-trail' hikes. I've owned a CAS Banshee, which I loved, but my 20 year old nephew loved it more, so now it's gone. I'm now looking at the Kris Dadao, which seems like it would be quite durable, compact, and may just suit my needs perfectly. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS IN THIS PRICE RANGE (please keep in mind that it would be used HARD...if necessary...regardless, it WILL be used)???

Thanks!
J.Davey

Define "used hard".

What is the intended use? Do you essentially want a sword to take the place of your machete?

I dare to say because its about double your price range. A Waki, seems to be the best short sword that is tempered for pure functionality, THAT emediately comes to mind.

If i were looking for one right now that would be the one i went for.

Maybe some of the shorter Himalayan Imports swords, like the Tarwar, "Wajaski", or Bhutan? some of these are around or under the $200 range.

Support those that support Bladeforums.com

I'm with C.S. Graves...Himalayan Imports Tarwar

How about a Hanwei Practical Gongfu sword? It's a good inexpensive dao that you should be able to wale on pretty hard and not feel bad about it.

Kris Cutlery blades should stand up to hard use. I've used their bolos for yard work, including chopping down trees up to 6" across.

I have a Tarwar on the board for half of what you are looking for, price wise. Have at it to do your work with! :)

The Kris Cutlery DaDao sucks!!!! I bought one and so did another guy I know on another forum. The tsuba/guard is loose and the blade (although seemingly tough) just isn't that impressive. (I like KC blades in general but the DaDao just lacks in several areas.)

You could save up some money and get the micarta handled version of the new Swamp Rat Rodent Wakizashi that was just released.

A Cheness Tenchi Ko-Katana may work as well.

I have a banshee and a Tarwar -- the only hesitation I have about recommending the Tarwar is that it is pretty blade-heavy, you'd need some mighty wrists to swing it one-handed for a while. Two-handed no problem.

If you want a one-handed lopper, take a look at a Valiant Survival Golok. I have had a couple and kept the 15" blade version b/c for me it is the best balance between reach and quickness in the hand. The blade stock is .25" or thicker so it's burlier than a machete. There are plenty f reviews if you google it. http://www.valiantco.com/java1.html

Last edited:
I still don't get the "Yep I'm gonna be that guy!" part of it. I keep checking back to see if it will be revealed.

If you want a one-handed lopper, take a look at a Valiant Survival Golok. I have had a couple and kept the 15" blade version b/c for me it is the best balance between reach and quickness in the hand. The blade stock is .25" or thicker so it's burlier than a machete. There are plenty f reviews if you google it. http://www.valiantco.com/java1.html

I'm a Valiant fan myself, but I don't know if the SGL would quite meet the OP's criteria. It's probably more machete-like than he wants, and it's not the kind of blade I would pick if I want to wail away at a substantial piece of wood. The horn handles on 'em can develop cracks with forceful blows. Perhaps some of their more sword-like wares would be more appropriate, especially if there's a ferrule on the hilt to help keep the horn from cracking.

Another suggestion for beater swords would be Traditional Filipino Weapons. Mr. Kosakowski had a video wherein he whacks tree branches pretty hard with the war golok, and it holds up pretty well. I've seen other videos indicating that some of their other models of sword can handle comparable usage. I love their kris, but wouldn't use the wavy specimens on large diameter logs or anything.

Anyway, keep us posted on your adventures in swordliness!

Anyway, keep us posted on your adventures in swordliness!

Will do, Graves. Thanks to all for your insight! Still not sure what I'll pick up yet. First on the list is a Blackhawk Tatang. I've owned a CAS Banshee before, and loved it, so maybe I'll grab another of those (gave the first to my then 17 year old nephew...no better way to test something then to give it to a teenager...it's still holding up fantastically)!

Back