"Beat the Hell out of it sword" (under $200.) ??? Yep, I'm gonna' be that guy.

I've owned a CAS Banshee before, and loved it, so maybe I'll grab another of those (gave the first to my then 17 year old nephew...no better way to test something then to give it to a teenager...it's still holding up fantastically)!

Is the Banshee the southeast Asian dha/darb looking one?

Check out Walter Davis here on the forums. He has made two short swords for me at around that price point. My needs/wants were exactly the same as yours and he made two kick butt waki type swords that put to shame many expensive swords I've seen. I could not recommend him more highly. Here is a quick pic, I can post more if you want.

swords005.jpg

These are 5160 steel, about 30" OAL.

Snow, they almost have a Khatghan (sp?) ish sort of curve to them. Rustic and hard core looking. Bet rather functional to boot!

I have a feeling that Kris Cultery, Traditional Filipino Weapons, Valiant Co. and Himalayan Imports have all been mentioned already....

the thing is... most swords are meant to just be swords... that is, killing blades.... and then there's blades meant for work, but could be good weapons... and then there's those that are meant to be good at both. I know that my golok/klewang/laraw would take care of somethin, but I still take out my 24" blade Tramontina machete sometimes cause it's cheap, good for the job, and I don't mind if it gets dinged. The others I'd mind a little more.

you know those cheap 25 dollar specials in the mall w/ no handle scales, black 20" blade and a plastic sheath, my brother and I chopped it through a Paul Chen practical katana, He liked his katana and for vengeance he worked that ninjato over a retaining wall but it did not break until about the eighth hit... Buy one see for yourself!

Hell, for your price range stated you might get a discount on a dozen.
I hope this was helpful

Dynasty Forge blades are known to take a beating even better than the Cheness spring steels. Specifically, the DF Musha class katana.

I wouldn't advise using any of these for trailblazing, though. Sap really screws up the finish. If your goal is that, I'd go with something HI makes. The 5160 will hold up very nicely.

Dynasty Forge blades are known to take a beating even better than the Cheness spring steels. Specifically, the DF Musha class katana.

I wouldn't advise using any of these for trailblazing, though. Sap really screws up the finish. If your goal is that, I'd go with something HI makes. The 5160 will hold up very nicely.

I wouldn't recommend ANY sort of Katana type blade for trailblazing, one may wind up sorely disappointed and wondering what to do to straighten a bent blade.

Any one up for chopping tree limbs with a Clark L6?

Chuck

I'm not sure I understand the facination with using a katana for chopping trees/brush.
The design is for slicing/cutting, not chopping--and to be used against people, not trees.
A machette or brush hook is far better for those tasks and won't leave you made because you bent your sword and threw away a few hundred dollars.

How did this even go in the direction of katanas??? I'm not a COMPLETE moron! Read the post.

How did this even go in the direction of katanas??? I'm not a COMPLETE moron! Read the post.

We did. You said that you wanted a sword for use on trails, but you wouldn't exactly say what for. Swords are not meant for clearing brush by definition. Some of us are confused about what you're actually planning on doing.

If you told us more, we could help you more.

I was going to recommend a two-handed machete but you said that you weren't interested in machetes. I'm not sure why -- this seems to be what they're made for, not swords. :confused:

"The thing is, I want an inexpensive cutting sword to bring along on my 'no-trail' hikes"

you may not be a moron, but using a sword for other than it's intended purpose is moronic.

"The thing is, I want an inexpensive cutting sword to bring along on my 'no-trail' hikes"

you may not be a moron, but using a sword for other than it's intended purpose is moronic.

Nonsense.

The intended purpose is whatever the buyer wants to use it for. It is up to the buyer to pick something suitable and up to the task.

If people subscribed to your definition, no real swords would ever get used, since they are supposed to be used for killing people. . . maybe you have some real skeletons in your closet. ;)

I only own one sword, it has an unlimited warranty, and I can do anything want. I can use it as a machete, and it works well. I can take down a 2 or 3 inch sapling with one swipe, and it doesn't stick like my machetes in thicker wood. Best of all, it is fun.

Nonsense.

The intended purpose is whatever the buyer wants to use it for.

If people subscribed to your definition, no real swords would ever get used, since they are supposed to be used for killing people. . . maybe you have some real skeletons in your closet. ;)

I only own one sword, it has an unlimited warranty, and I can do anything want. I can use it as a machete, and it works well. I can take down a 2 or 3 inch sapling with one swipe, and it doesn't stick like my machetes in thicker wood. Best of all, it is fun.

Then maybe you should have spoken up when the OP asked his question

It is up to the buyer to pick something suitable and up to the task.

I couldn't agree more with that statement

I've been looking at that sword, too.
I can't seem to find any info or reviews on it. Does anyone have a different sword from that manufacturer? Any reviews of their other sword/knife products out there so we can get a sense of quality?
I am very interested to know.

Back