Becker BK-19, finally came on sale!

Just unboxed my BK19.

The first thing that jumps out is the knife's light weight, followed by the fact that the handle seems tighter than on the BK16.
The reason for this seems that the added blade width puts the heel/guard lower and wedges the hand in a might. Doesn't bother me but than my hands are not on the large size.

I like the smoother coating, looks good and feels good.

I'm glad to see that the blade hump and width of the blade allows for comfortable choking up on the blade. You can get the hand way out on that blade to just expose the tip or however much you want to use. I think this is one larger blade that will be just dandy for small game, fish, or detail wood work.

I really like the sheath, although I don't expect to use the danger part, the belt slots will make the knife ride high on the belt, which I prefer. Retention w/o the strap is excellent, the knife isn't going anywhere.

I know the blade shape will put some off, but I think when it's put to work it will start looking better and better.

A little curious :oops: I just put Black Micarta on my 19. Now it rattles in the sheath. I would have thought the other way around. The plastic scales must be a little thicker? Has anyone else noticed this or do I own the only thinner set of micarta?
IMG_2133.jpg
Not a big deal to me as I just donā€™t like plastic scales , even though the plastic scales will probably outlast the micarta.

A little curious :oops: I just put Black Micarta on my 19. Now it rattles in the sheath. I would have thought the other way around. The plastic scales must be a little thicker? Has anyone else noticed this or do I own the only thinner set of micarta?
View attachment 2314684
Not a big deal to me as I just donā€™t like plastic scales , even though the plastic scales will probably outlast the micarta.
Mine rattles something terrible with the new micarta grips

iV705B5.jpg

g7E8QdC.jpg

For those of you looking for a relatively inexpensive leather sheath for your 19, I picked up a Brisa Nessmuk 125 sheath online for ~$30 shipped. Itā€™s a pretty nice sheath. Ox hide leather, rivets at stress points, welt to protect stitching. It comes with a dangler attachment but also has a standard belt loop. Itā€™s a tight fit at the mouth, but with a little wet molding and normal leather stretching over time, it should be about perfect. I like to melt SnoSeal into my leather sheaths with a hair dryer /heat gun. It stiffens up the leather and gives it weather protection. Hereā€™s my 19 with the sheath, straight out of the box.
08mYlrq.jpg

Y2ZAVEP.jpg

The 19 really needs leather.

For those of you looking for a relatively inexpensive leather sheath for your 19, I picked up a Brisa Nessmuk 125 sheath online for ~$30 shipped. Itā€™s a pretty nice sheath. Ox hide leather, rivets at stress points, welt to protect stitching. It comes with a dangler attachment but also has a standard belt loop. Itā€™s a tight fit at the mouth, but with a little wet molding and normal leather stretching over time, it should be about perfect. I like to melt SnoSeal into my leather sheaths with a hair dryer /heat gun. It stiffens up the leather and gives it weather protection. Hereā€™s my 19 with the sheath, straight out of the box.
08mYlrq.jpg

Y2ZAVEP.jpg

I'm curious what you think of the 19 itself? I missed the sale, but think I'll watch for another down the road.

I'm curious what you think of the 19 itself? I missed the sale, but think I'll watch for another down the road.
First time I saw it I hated it. Then it started to grow on me a bit. When I saw one stripped, it made a big difference. I love a leaf shaped blade. I always thought that the Grohmann #4 blade was the best looking ever, but the handle sucked for my hands, and the steel is not great. I love the tweener handle. I actually had a custom made by JK Knives with the blade profile of the Grohmann and the handle modeled after Ethanā€™s tweener, but it was heavier in hand than I liked. The 19 blade profile isnā€™t as pretty as a Grohmann #4, and it isnā€™t really a traditional Nessmuk profile, but I think itā€™s a good enough approximation to suit my needs. For me it will fit into that Jack of all trades woods bumming and camp food prep role. I do wish it was a 5ā€ blade like the esee JG5 (I modified mine to make the nose less bulbous/more pointy)
NIAkSRN.jpg

IMG_0858.jpeg
Whew, that was a bit long winded, wasnā€™t it :)

First time I saw it I hated it. Then it started to grow on me a bit. When I saw one stripped, it made a big difference. I love a leaf shaped blade. I always thought that the Grohmann #4 blade was the best looking ever, but the handle sucked for my hands, and the steel is not great. I love the tweener handle. I actually had a custom made by JK Knives with the blade profile of the Grohmann and the handle modeled after Ethanā€™s tweener, but it was heavier in hand than I liked. The 19 blade profile isnā€™t as pretty as a Grohmann #4, and it isnā€™t really a traditional Nessmuk profile, but I think itā€™s a good enough approximation to suit my needs. For me it will fit into that Jack of all trades woods bumming and camp food prep role. I do wish it was a 5ā€ blade like the esee JG5 (I modified mine to make the nose less bulbous/more pointy)
NIAkSRN.jpg

View attachment 2328569
Whew, that was a bit long winded, wasnā€™t it :)
That's kind of the way it was with me. At first I didn't really like it, but the more I see it, it looks useful. And like you I like the Grohman's blade, but dislike the handle. I may have to pick up a 19 at some point and try it out. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

I got out of the habit of watching this forum, and just found this thread last week. Today I looked around for the BK19 on sale, even though I think it was mentioned that the sale was over.

Well, I got lucky and a sale was still going on and with the promotion to give them rights to flood me with texts, you get another 10% off. So the price before tax is $78.99 and there is a free shipping option. Mine is on order.

Thanks to you all for posting and keeping this thread alive long enough for me to find it. I love me some Nessmuks.

08mYlrq.jpg

Y2ZAVEP.jpg

Hey, does the tip of the BK-19 line up with the hollow rivet in the end of the Brisa Nessmuk sheath?

Back