Becker Necker in Micarta!

My son bought me a set of micarta scales for my Becker Necker for Father’s Day and I love it!

My biggest complaint about the Necker was how uncomfortable it felt in my hand! It seemed small and the butt is weird with bottle opener in my palm. The micarta scales make a HUGE difference in how it feels in the hand now.

The scales fill out it out and its comfortable in my hand now. Even the funky butt is taken care of while still being useful. I highly recommend the Kabar micarta scales for the Necker!

UnGnaeg.jpg

DBEMgli.jpg
I understand what you are saying I felt this way with the BK14. I wish these scales would have been a little longer encompassing the ring.
I went with TKC G10 scales. They don’t offer micarta :( The cost is justified by the Quality and they made me like the knife a lot better. KA-BAR’S plastic scales actually feel ok to and cover the ring :) TKC now makes extended scales for the ESEE that can be modified to fit the 14/24. Adds about a 1/2” I think. Just food for thought :D Here’s a pic of the reg size
4DAEF9B2-1D8B-4D10-84FA-0B7CEFDC0E98.jpeg

My son bought me a set of micarta scales for my Becker Necker for Father’s Day and I love it!

My biggest complaint about the Necker was how uncomfortable it felt in my hand! It seemed small and the butt is weird with bottle opener in my palm. The micarta scales make a HUGE difference in how it feels in the hand now.

The scales fill out it out and its comfortable in my hand now. Even the funky butt is taken care of while still being useful. I highly recommend the Kabar micarta scales for the Necker!

UnGnaeg.jpg

Is that a Camillus made Necker? I have one and was wondering if the KABAR made micarta scales will fit.

Is that a Camillus made Necker? I have one and was wondering if the KABAR made micarta scales will fit.
I noticed that too, it is a Camillus.
Mine had to be slightly altered to fit the inside and iirc they sat slightly proud on the outside...ymmv

All the skeleton Beckers are fantastic already and double awesomeness with scales!

ETA: after reading another thread I realized the micarta mods were for my San mai 11... the camillus fit just fine.

Last edited:
I went with TKC G10 scales. They don’t offer micarta :( The cost is justified by the Quality and they made me like the knife a lot better. KA-BAR’S plastic scales actually feel ok to and cover the ring :) TKC now makes extended scales for the ESEE that can be modified to fit the 14/24. Adds about a 1/2” I think. Just food for thought :D Here’s a pic of the reg size
View attachment 1365073
I’ll have to check them out

Yes, mine is a Camillus and the scales fit fine!
Thanks for the confirmation.

Although adding the scales will mean that the Necker will no longer be a a flat little package to be worn, I have never worn mine as a neck knife. I treat mine like a small fixed blade, slipped into a bag for emergencies. The scales would have minimal effect for my use and in fact would definitely improve the Necker.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Although adding the scales will mean that the Necker will no longer be a a flat little package to be worn, I have never worn mine as a neck knife. I treat mine like a small fixed blade, slipped into a bag for emergencies. The scales would have minimal effect for my use and in fact would definitely improve the Necker.
Adding scales will definitely make your knife more comfortable in hand :thumbsup:
5DE75C32-1A7E-4E8B-8B52-C060C03EF751.jpeg
but not so good if you plan on neck carry :D

Do you have any more pics of the longer scales either spine shot or not assembled?
6GLvHFs.jpg

Fitting the scales to the BK14/24 requires some work. It wasn’t as easy as I had hoped it would be. I’ve done it twice now. Wear a respirator mask, g10 particles are nasty and you don’t want to inhale them. I used small files to fit it; it’s an art not a science. On the internal piece, I took a little off each side and the bottom too (It’s almost acute triangle shaped) until they fit. I still have one more to do and haven’t been motivated to do it. :)

Id like to put some micarta on my 11 for comfort (and looks). But i just cant get over how handy it is without it. Light and thin. Very easy to carry. At the same time with micarta in it, id probably use it more and for longer periods. No doubt it would be easier in the hand with that micarta.

I know what i need to do. I know what everyone here will tell me i need to do.

I need to get another 11 for micarta.

6GLvHFs.jpg

Fitting the scales to the BK14/24 requires some work. It wasn’t as easy as I had hoped it would be. I’ve done it twice now. Wear a respirator mask, g10 particles are nasty and you don’t want to inhale them. I used small files to fit it; it’s an art not a science. On the internal piece, I took a little off each side and the bottom too (It’s almost acute triangle shaped) until they fit. I still have one more to do and haven’t been motivated to do it. :)
Thank you very much for the spine picture. I would like to have the same but I’m micarta if possible.

I have one heck of a time finding small blades that are comfortable. I wanted to like the smaller Beckers but I have tried adding micarta and G10 scales and they just haven't been comfortable in my hand so haven't seen a lot of use. I don't have huge mits like some but broad hands ... tweeners are usable for me (mostly my 15s because the blades are near perfect for several things I do but learned to adjust my grip on them ... my 16 and 17 sadly aren't showing much use either ... the 18s I'm using some as I go) ... but I can't get comfortable with the neckers ... I should give them to someone who can use them. I thought about trying the TKC G10 on them but I still have a few projects I want to do first and with the world gone crazy haven't had the time.

I sometimes think I wish I was average height and size and had average sized hands because I miss out on some knives that are great blades! The Warrior The Warrior maybe can relate ... I think he may have a bit more trouble than I do with that.

Maybe a GAW is in order sometime soon.

Back