Beckerhead Camping and Woodcraft Reviews....

I got something today!
0ZAD0sP.jpg

A9CunXY.jpg

Just ordered it and the video. :) now the dang wait lol.
Good deal. Unless you intend to collect the book, I see little reason to buy an older version. Book values are funny things and very localized, maybe localized to Blade Forums or folks that like H. Kephart. Years ago I purchased the original edition (actually two copies) of the Colt Firearms "bible".... it wasn't very long after that the paper back version came out and the value plunged to the point of why bother even thinking it's much value at all. Frankly I thought it a prize when I first bought the book. $500 was a good price at the time....

That said about old books... I have some old physical geology books that I really prize for the drawings and the pre-plate tectonic interpretation of geologic history. But I know they aren't worth anything, just to me.

Have an old USGS book on the Appalachians published in the early 1900's and pre-significant logging in the Southern Appalachians. It's a timber inventory or the resource.... very very detailed and I enjoy reading how things were prior to the demise of the chestnuts and the Smoky Mt area. Another is an old mineral resource book from the 50's.... shows the location of a lot of old mines that I sometimes try to find.

Last edited:
Good deal. Unless you intend to collect the book, I see little reason to buy an older version. Book values are funny things and very localized, maybe localized to Blade Forums or folks that like H. Kephart. Years ago I purchased the original edition (actually two copies) of the Colt Firearms "bible".... it wasn't very long after that the paper back version came out and the value plunged to the point of why bother even thinking it's much value at all. Frankly I thought it a prize when I first bought the book.

That said about old books... I have some old physical geology books that I really prize for the drawings and the pre-plate tectonic interpretation of geologic history. But I know they aren't worth anything, just to me.

i dunno, a 100+ year old book is a special thing. often made with more care than stuff today.

ah, that old continental drift. i've been listening to a short history of nearly everything on my commute. very curious. many references to people and books that would be great to read.

i'd like to think i've had enough math and science, to find that old stuff charming :D

i have a rather old book on birding. it's accurate, and pretty - color plates. however, some of the stuff is odd :D

Yes, 100 year old books are special..... I have some. But their real value is mostly to me. The binding on the current paper back version of Camping & Woodcraft isn't very good and the hard back isn't much better.

I bet the Great Smoky Mt Association (current publisher) is wondering why the surge in interest with Horace Kephart. Kephart doesn't have a lot of comments in his books on knives and certainly seemed to depend more on an axe around his camps. But I recall him mentioning that all the available larger knives were bowie type knives (other than slip joints), so he had his own made up. I would be willing to bet that he would have liked the BK-5 and BK-15.

It would be interesting to know how many of the two Kephart knives models were made by Colclesser Brothers in Altoona PA. That might give folks a feel for how popular Kephart was in his day. Also, I wonder when the term "Kephart knife" was first used?

I bet the Great Smoky Mt Association (current publisher) is wondering why the surge in interest with Horace Kephart. Kephart doesn't have a lot of comments in his books on knives and certainly seemed to depend more on an axe around his camps. But I recall him mentioning that all the available larger knives were bowie type knives (other than slip joints), so he had his own made up. I would be willing to bet that he would have liked the BK-5 and BK-15.

I think that would be "Libby", probably knows full well, given Ethan, and antics of late :D

It would be interesting to know how many of the two Kephart knives models were made by Colclesser Brothers in Altoona PA. That might give folks a feel for how popular Kephart was in his day. Also, I wonder when the term "Kephart knife" was first used?
I thought I would add that the listing by Colclesser Brothers did say "Kephart Sheath Knife". So, the term dates back to the early 1900's. I was doing some checking after posting this. I'd say that Colclesser clearly believed that the name Kephart would be good promotional copy for the knife designed by H. Kephart.

You all should consider joining the Great Smoky Mt Association as they provide a very good service to the park and interested parties.

I think the BK 16 is the knife closest to the Kephart among my blades ...... Colclesser made a 4” and a 5” model.... The 16 sits right in the middle and although the blade shapes are a bit different the concept is he same, really.... If you take Mors Kochanski’s advice or most of the “bushie” types we all recommend a blade about as long as your hand is wide for general use.... My old standard edc was the Puma Hunter’s Friend and that blade is right in line with the “wide as your hand” size envelope.....

The Kephart is a great teacher..... I always tell people thinking about making knives to go to every show and every knife purveyor and pick up, feel, fondle and manipulate the-bladethrough all it’s axis .....The Handle is the most important part so, let it speak it speak to your inner tool user...

The Handle on the Kephart is one of the very best I have ever had in hand because it orients the blade so well and in all the common grips...Very cool...

E

I think you have not only made available a small piece of history by offering us a Kephart closely staying to the orginal ...

I think you have opened up new paths for the writings and teachings of Horace and a time and ways mostly forgotten.

I think it's been a great project and far more valuable than the just bringing us the BK62 knife ...

for that I thank you Ethan.

Are there different versions? It seems the chapter names and forward is different than the pdf I have and what you guys are commenting about.

Jeremy

Back