Beckerhead Camping and Woodcraft Reviews....

I read Lone Survivor also, great book to read. Very descriptive of BUDS. Twice as long as MCRD.

When Ethan first showed me and let me handle the Kephart knife he acquired I did not know what I was holding. The old adage of ignorance being bliss most certainly did not apply in this case as the euphoria increased with my knowledge of this man, his ways and ... his knife.

I have to read much in my day job so I am particular if not downright fussy about my off-duty reading and don't do it as much as I should.

Camping and Woodcraft was an excellent read - an escape of sorts, albeit vicariously though Horace Kephart.

Thank you Ethan for providing the introduction.

Read chapters 10 and 11 yesterday. Chapter 10, Dressing Game and Fish, was an interesting read. Not much of a hunter, but do like to go fishing. "The scrotum of a buck, tanned with the hair on, makes a good tobacco-pouch." Have to take your word for it Horace, haha.

Chapter 11, Camp Cookery, was awesome. Lots of great stuff in that chapter. Definitely want to try some of the recipes. I love to cook outdoors. I like the quote, "Half of cookery is the fire thereof." Isn't that the truth. Most people don't have the patience to wait for a nice bed of coals, and instead, cook over direct flames.

And continuing with Horace's humor, this about about flap jacks, "Beginners generally lack the nerve to toss high enough. If you land a hot cake on the other fellow's eye, it serves him right for monkeying so near the cook." :D

Never really thought about this one before. We always put the fish right on the stringer as we caught them. "Never put live fish on a stringer and keep them in water till you start for home. Does it not stand to reason that fish strung through the gills must breathe with difficulty and be tormented? Why sicken your fish before you eat them ? Kill every fish as soon as caught and bleed it through the throat." Good information.

"Crayfish.โ€”These are the " craw-feesh !" of our streets. Tear off extreme end of tail, bringing the entrail with it. Boil whole in salted water till the crayfish turns red. Peel and eat as a lobster, dipping each crayfish at a time into a saucer of vinegar, pepper,
and salt." We call them crawdads, or crawdaddies around here. My friends and I caught several once, and the man that owned the land the "crick" was on, told us he would fry them up for us. He took the meat out of the tail, and removed the entrails, breaded them, and fried them up. Damn good eating.

Ooooh, I like crawdads!
Zvt6LcL.jpg

Caught flak by some Cajun for not calling them crayfish before. :oops:

a dying fish is not quite a rotting fish

two dead fish are two rotting fish is no fish

seems like some fish, esp shellsfish, snakes, and such, if you aren't immediately able to ice them or eat them, you wasted a fish, imho

All quiet on the reading front, bookmark is still pristine. :rolleyes:
"If you can't see the forest for the trees, then you need to get there earlier - before the trees get there.", Lindybeige.

I went to buy the book from the smoky mountains place and it wants to charge me more for shipping than the price of the book. Is that right?? Was that your experience Bladite Bladite ?

It's finally here!!! After a exciting adventure around the US according to tracking lol!
agMQBGEl.jpg

I ended up with a lightly used hardback version. It's awesome!
Congrats 54! I need to start reading mine again.

Whoa, Kephart was quite the smarty pants! He went to Italy after grad school, studied Italian and read Petrarch's poetry in Italian?? That's next level cool man.
You can definitely tell by reading it that he's an educated man.

So here is a question you all may be able to help me (or others) with.

I have had the Univ of Tennessee Press edition (912 pp) of Kehphart's CAW book several years. I believe it is a reprint of the 1917 edition with both books in one.

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Wood...WS9T4EFXZGX&psc=1&refRID=WM5YX8AQZWS9T4EFXZGX

I have always enjoyed it as it is a facsimile of the older one (although I would like to see what is different in the 1910 version).

But I want to purchase a newer edition.

I really like that the edition by the Smokey Mt Assoc., is updated with additional information, drawings and photos, new type setting, and the forward.

Does anyone know if the hardback edition, the one Captain Airyca posted a pic of, is the same as the paperback one? (oddly the amazslong website lists this hardback as only having 425 pages, while reviews of the paperback list it as having about 888 pages...)

I really like the online images, reviews of the paperback book's content, but if the hardback is the same book, I will spring for the hardback.

Thanks,
Brome

I have an original 1928 camping and woodcraft hardback two volumes in one and it has 469 pages.

Back