Behold, John Locke's Knives from Lost!

If you ask me, the production designer sent an intern down to one of LA's big swap meets with $100 and orders to pick up a dozen of the scariest knives on display.
I bet they grabbed a few things out of the closet... I imagine prop companies have a supply of knives on hand.

I too doubt the Buck Nighthawk is a real one. See how the handle texture is arranged in rows on the television knife? Probably a $5 Chinese knockoff.

-Bob

The prop houses in California are huge. A few years ago, a few auctioned off their collections much to the joy and pain of collectors. Odd assortments, crates full of knives, swords, spears, just dumped altogether.

Boozoo Chavis said:
The Sayid character on the show carries a knife which looks like a Randall knockoff.

Nice caps, Boozoo! A lady I know who runs a knife store agrees with Kamkazmoto and The Last Confederate, that the knife in question is a Buck Special 119BR (Cocobola Handle):

LockesBuckSpecial.jpg

This, I'm told, shows Locke appreciates the fancier model with the cocobola, versus the plain old cheaper phenolic handle version. Maybe he does have good taste in knives!

msh441 said:
Incredible bit of hunting combined with some excellent knife knowledge!

Well, I can't claim all the credit. :) I managed to ID a couple of the knives in his case, and I knew the knife on his vest was SOME kind of Spyderco (at least it USED to be!), but it was you good people here and at knifeforums that cleared up the others for me, and identified the specific Spyderco model.

Locke's main knife, the Master Bowie, was particularly problematic. It wasn't until I found some pictures posted on a "Tremors" fan forum (the knife is rarely shown clearly on the TV show) by a fellow known as Snapcut, who also mentioned he paid less than $8 for the knife, that MikeKnapp of knifeforums was able to identify it.

sting7777 said:
so its a show about a guy with terrible taste in fixed blade knives :eek: :rolleyes: :D

lol, sting7777. Of course, this is primarily due to the inevitable differences between reel life and real life. "Lost" has a budget, and is only going to devote a certain amount of that budget towards props. On the other hand, I think you will agree that even the most serious knife collector tends to have at least one piece of crap they are really quite fond of. :)

m_calingo said:
I don't remember what the Tekna was made of. However, Tekna went out of business years (9?) years ago. It may be available on an auction site, but I doubt if the blade was good.

Wow, that's a long time ago! In my searches, I have found a few places that still seem to be offering the knife, generally in the $140 range. I wonder if it is worth that? Of note, one site mentions the Tekna is also seen in the Geena Davis film "The Long Kiss Goodnight."

The Last Confederate said:
Locke was on his way home after being refused from going on his Austrailian "walkabout" trip, because he was SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER prior to the crash. He mysteriously could SPOILER when he woke up on the beach.

Boo, Last Confederate! Boo! You could spoil the surprise for folks who haven't seen the show yet!

In some more recent episodes, the stainless folder on Locke's vest has sometimes switched form a Syderco, to a cheap Spyderco rip-off, with a black plastic thumbstud instead of a hole.

Yes, a few others have noticed this. I believe it has been speculated that someone on the show might have stolen the Spyderco prop. For completeness, I would like to identify that Spyderco knockoff as well. When I get a chance, I try to cap it and post it here.

averageguy said:
Where's the big - possibly custom - knife he was teaching the kid to throw on the last episode I watched? It sure wasn't one of these cheapies.

I was equally sure, and equally wrong! That knife is cool as hell, and only costs $7.95 from Atlanta Cutlery! One of the cheapest knives in Locke's collection. I guess one might argue that Locke likes it 'cause it's big enough to use, and yet cheap enough not to worry much if it breaks. Similarly, the show probably picked it because it looks good on camera, but is so cheap that they can buy a bunch of them. If one breaks during filming, the prop can easily be replaced without a hitch.

ras said:
Don't watch the show, maybe I should. But from what I've seen the knives aren't that impressive. I like the KaBar, but being 1095 steel,I left the blade coating on mine. Let's see if his starts to rust...

It's been theorized that the prop people removed the parkerizing simply so the knife would look more impressive on camera. Let me tell you, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a silver-bladed Ka-Bar with a brown handle. Does not occur naturally!

Yes, the Atlanta Cutlery Master Bowie is the one that Locke was teaching Walt to throw. It's the knife that Locke himself carries most of the time.

And apparently he has at least two. When he ties up Boone, he leaves a Master Bowie for Boone to free himself with. But Locke also still has the Master Bowie he's wearing on his belt. There is also some speculation that, after a recent episode, one of Locke's Master Bowies may still be in a live Polar Bear. And at the end of that episode, it's hard to be sure, but it looks like the Master Bowie he's carrying at that point has no serrations (which is odd, because as far as I know it's not even available without serrations).

I believe he gave out the Ka-Bar to Kate, and Sayeed got the Buck 119.

There's an idea! Let's figure out who's got what knife! Kate definitely got the Jaguar (btw, there's several companies that make a knife like the Jaguar. I'm guessing it's a Jaguar, because it makes sense that several of Locke's cheap knives would come from the same company). You can see Kate sheathing that knife quite clearly in "Walkabout.":

KatesJaguarB.jpg

Of course it's possible she's got a different knife in later episodes, I haven't noticed. If you spot something, let us know!

Paul Davidson said:
The knives might be what they are on purpose. I see Locke's character as sort of a Walter Mitty character whose day-dreams have come true. Those are definitely armchair commando knives. Locke didn't have a great job apparently or receive any respect until he hit the "island" and could hike and do all of the things he had only read about. The price point, dramatic carrying case, age, and "mall ninja" nature of a lot of those knives fit in with that character IMO.

I think it would be great if they had a couple of the really cheap ones snap while being used. At least the tips. :cool:

Great points, Paul. No pun intended. :)

Gryffin said:
Oh, BTW, about that Buck Nighthawk... Buck *has* made uncoated stainles versions (I should know, I own one!), and shorty variants; but that one looks a bit like a tanto, which I don't *think* Buck ever made in that line. I've seen a few like that on eBay, though: cheap Chinese knock-off garbage.

Interesting observations, Gryffin. If you ever see one of those Chinese knock-offs, do let us know. The knife in the pic does look similar to a Nighthawk, but different enough that I'm not totally sold that that is what it is (hence the question mark).

Bob W said:
I too doubt the Buck Nighthawk is a real one. See how the handle texture is arranged in rows on the television knife? Probably a $5 Chinese knockoff.

Exactly.

I heard someone mention seeing Locke shave with a folding knife. Can anyone remember which episode that was? And/or cap a picture of it?

sgtdraino said:
For completeness, I would like to identify that Spyderco knockoff as well. When I get a chance, I try to cap it and post it here.

Okay gang, here's a tough one. It's the Spyderco knockoff that seems to have replaced the Harpy in more recent episodes. Here's a cap of the knockoff, next to the genuine Harpy for reference. Methinks this one is going to be hard to identify! Any guesses?

Spyderco-MasterComparisonShots.jpg

It's all just show biz, boys and girls. You can bet your last dollar that the knives they carry (Locke, et. cie.) are NOT sharp. Unless you see an actual use of a knife cutting something, the knives they carry are prop knives... or knives that have had the blades dulled totally. Afterall, most actors are stupid, and can't be trusted with sharp knives. Plus, there are all kinds of insurance liablilities that would be in place if some dumb actor cut himself.

Same with guns. Unless a gun is actually to be fired in a scene, the guns carried on teeeveee shows and flicks, are fake guns. (Anyone remember the dunce actor John Eric Hexsom?? Blew his brains out with a squib load in a real .44 Mag., when a props man wasn't watching the guns.)

Anyone ever see "The Iron Mistress," with Alan Ladd and Virginia Mayo? I've seen the "knives" used in that flick, and everyone of them was a wooden knife, painted to look like a real knife. The only "kinda real" knife used was a tricked out, cheap "bowie" that had no edge.

In fact, if you see a "knife cut" on screen, where the "wound" bleeds, that is done with a hollow blade with a "blood sack" on the handle, with a tube leading to the hollow edge. The actor "slices" the other actor, and squeezes the "bladder" in the handle and "blood" pours along the edge, making it appear that a large wound has been made.

As I said, it's all "show biz." "LOST," is a hoot , so enjoy it as a good soap opera in the sand.

L.W.

Leanwolf said:
In fact, if you see a "knife cut" on screen, where the "wound" bleeds, that is done with a hollow blade with a "blood sack" on the handle, with a tube leading to the hollow edge. The actor "slices" the other actor, and squeezes the "bladder" in the handle and "blood" pours along the edge, making it appear that a large wound has been made.L.W.

Actually, most "knife cuts" onscreen are done with a dull prop knife which has had the blade coated with one chemical, and the actors skin has been coated with another chemical. When the coated blade is then "drawn" across the skin, the 2 chemicals react with each other, turning red.

I've seen special effects people demostrate it in documentaries.

Actually, most "knife cuts" onscreen are done with a dull prop knife which has had the blade coated with one chemical, and the actors skin has been coated with another chemical. When the coated blade is then "drawn" across the skin, the 2 chemicals react with each other, turning red.

I've seen special effects people demostrate it in documentaries.
They had that in my day camp's pool when I was growing up! I think one of the chemicals is pee. :D

The Last Confederate - "Actually, most "knife cuts" onscreen are done with a dull prop knife which has had the blade coated with one chemical, and the actors skin has been coated with another chemical. When the coated blade is then "drawn" across the skin, the 2 chemicals react with each other, turning red."

Yes, on the one hand, it can be done that way, but anytime the director wants the "blood" to flow on camera as the slice is made, the hollow edged prop knife with the "blood sack pump" in the handle, is used. That's when the audience sees "blood" dribbling down the person's arm/face/leg, wherever the "cut" is made.

Lots of little (and big) tricks used in filming.

L.W.

Gryffin said:
but that one looks a bit like a tanto, which I don't *think* Buck ever made in that line.
Buck actually did make a tanto Nighthawk, but it's out of production now. There used to be a picture of one at A.G. Russell and it's still listed (as "sold out") on this page.

Anyway, you're right about the handle on that one in the pic, it does look like a knock-off.

TorzJohnson said:
Buck actually did make a tanto Nighthawk, but it's out of production now. There used to be a picture of one at A.G. Russell and it's still listed (as "sold out") on this page.

Anyway, you're right about the handle on that one in the pic, it does look like a knock-off.

Thanks for the info, Torz!

LockesNighthawk.jpg

Now, how about that Spyderco knockoff, and whatever folder he was shaving with?

This week's episode allowed me to identify Boone's knife. Looks like he got the Ka-Bar!

BoonesKa-Bar.jpg

Still haven't identified the Spyderco knockoff.

Interesting that in this week's episode, even though Locke was given a gun, when the chips were down he's got his knife in his hand. No gun to be seen.

I was actually a little surprised he even accepted the gun in the first place. It just didn't seem his style, to me. But, I was wrong. Sort of. :)

Boo, Last Confederate! Boo! You could spoil the surprise for folks who haven't seen the show yet!

Uh...since that episode has already air at least twice, I think that little secret is out.

The Buck and the Ka-Bar are ok but the 1095 carbon steel on the Ka-Bar in a humid place like that is not going to last long. The show is cool I watch it every week. I still say that place some sort of twisted "fantasy island". Locke can walk, The kid and make polar bears appear, the doc gets to be a savior and so on. It is fun to watch though. Thanks for getting all that knife info been trying to figure them out myself :D

sting7777 said:
so its a show about a guy with terrible taste in fixed blade knives :eek: :rolleyes: :D

But,... to the average guy and gal, it shows that normal people collect and own more than one knife. He might be a factory collector now and many of you are. But eventually he or some of you might want a one of a kind custom.

A lot of my good customers collected factory knives in the past.

Life is Good,

A.T.

Finally got a few pics of the folder Locke was using to shave with!

LockesShavingKnife.jpg

Hard to tell what it is. Looks like it might actually be the "Spyderco knockoff" that replaced Locke's Harpy in more recent episodes of "Lost."

Thoughts?

Here's another I haven't seen before:

LockesSkinningKnife.jpg

Locke was using this knife to skin a boar in the episode "The Moth." Definitely a folder of some sort, appears to have serrations. Pretty distinctive looking blade, looks familiar but I can't place it.

Anybody know what it might be?

Back