Behold, John Locke's Knives from Lost!

sgtdraino said:
Here's another I haven't seen before:

LockesSkinningKnife.jpg

Locke was using this knife to skin a boar in the episode "The Moth." Definitely a folder of some sort, appears to have serrations. Pretty distinctive looking blade, looks familiar but I can't place it.

Anybody know what it might be?

I want to say that that is a Fury or Joy brand "knife." It does look familiar.

They sell those on HSN. You know the guy who broke the sword and got stabbed with a piece of the blade.

Paul Davidson said:
I want to say that that is a Fury or Joy brand "knife." It does look familiar.

EXCELLENT call, Paul. Great work!

LockesFury.jpg

Now, how about that Spyderco knockoff? Anybody? :)

Sgt. Draino you are almost 100% correct on those knives used in "Lost". How do I know? I sold them those knives. If I'd have seen this thread earlier you wouldn't have had to do so much searching. With the exception of the hawkbill folder you are correct on all of them. The hawkbill folder is a cheap Jaguar brand knock off of that Fury.

For the most part except for the Bucks and Spyderco all the knives that were purchased for the show were really cheap import knives. We tried to steer them towards stuff like the CRK Green Beret Knife and other stuff in the CRK line and SOGs, Ontarios etc. Stuff a survivalist would probably actually carry. They weren't having any of it. Too expensive. So they ended up with stuff that they thought "looked cool" but didn't cost too much.

The prop master came down to the shop one afternoon and picked everything out right there. Since then they've picked up about 10-15 of those Master Bowies, guess they're breaking or something when they throw 'em. The guy did buy a Kershaw Leek for himself though.

That's the problem with Hollywood: sometimes the person buying the props doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

I can understand those folks trying to keep costs down to stay under budget, but still... :confused:

I just can't imagine a knife collector on walkabout lugging around a bunch of cheapo knives from BudK.

Actually the cheap junk knives sort of do make sense. Remember, the character of John Locke was not really a "surivalist", he was a wheelchair bound "wannabe" (nobody b***h at me for saying it, the episode where they reveal that he was in a wheelchair until the plane crashed has aired twice already, it's NOT a spoiler anymore), who actually works as a sort of ordering clerk for a company that makes cardboard shipping boxes. He was not allowed to go on the walkabout thing due to his handicap. He was exactly the sort of wannabe that we have all seen swarming the table at gun & knife shows buying up cheap ass junk knives by the bag full. He has a head full of outdoor knowledge from reading books, which makes him seem like a real survival type next to the rest of the plane load of typical sheeple.

imp said:
Sgt. Draino you are almost 100% correct on those knives used in "Lost". How do I know? I sold them those knives.
Wow! Awesome! Just the guy I've been looking for!

imp said:
If I'd have seen this thread earlier you wouldn't have had to do so much searching. With the exception of the hawkbill folder you are correct on all of them. The hawkbill folder is a cheap Jaguar brand knock off of that Fury.
lol. I kinda thought the Fury was itself a cheap knockoff, but I see what you mean! Did some checking, and it seems Jaguar and Master Knives are both kinda lumped together at a place called:

http://www.dubosedistributors.com/MasterKnives.php

LockesSkyHawk.jpg

Sad thing is, the guy who first supplied me with pictures of the Master Bowie finally responded a few weeks back with this same site as a source for buying it. I didn't notice all the other Locke knives there then!

Dubose seem to refer to both brands as "Master Knives." Looked through pretty much everything they've got, and found potentially 6 knives that appear in Locke's collection. Knockoffs of the Spyderco, the Fury, and the Nighthawk. The Atlanta Cutlery "Jaguar" and "Master Bowie" are, amusingly, named after the Jaguar and Master wholesale brands, making me think that Atlanta Cutlery just fronts the exact same knives. The sixth appears to be the little pocket knife Locke used to make the dog whistle. Check 'em out:

LockesMasterKnives.jpg

C-7701 still looks a LITTLE big to be the Spyderco knockoff to me, but is definitely the closest thing I've seen so far. Do you happen to know if C-7701 is the knife that replaced the Harpy on Locke's vest? And is that the knife he was using to shave with? Seems unlikely, since the knife appears to only be available with serrations! Of course, he could have just been pretending to shave. Thoughts?

imp said:
For the most part except for the Bucks and Spyderco all the knives that were purchased for the show were really cheap import knives.
Aaaah. How about the Ka-bar and the Tekna Wilderness Edge? They look genuine to me. Do you know if they are? And did they get them from you? How about the Spyderco Harpy?

imp said:
We tried to steer them towards stuff like the CRK Green Beret Knife and other stuff in the CRK line and SOGs, Ontarios etc. Stuff a survivalist would probably actually carry. They weren't having any of it. Too expensive. So they ended up with stuff that they thought "looked cool" but didn't cost too much.
lol. I wish I could say I'm surprised. :) Although, as a matter of personal taste, I can't say I've ever been all that thrilled by CRKT.

imp said:
The prop master came down to the shop one afternoon and picked everything out right there. Since then they've picked up about 10-15 of those Master Bowies, guess they're breaking or something when they throw 'em.
Heh. I KNEW it! I knew it! Cool-looking knife, easy to replace. I wonder if the reason Atlanta Cutlery has them on backorder, is because "Lost" is breaking them all? :)

imp said:
The guy did buy a Kershaw Leek for himself though.
Heh. Interesting. Not a bad knife, though a Chive did cut the ever-loving @#&% out of my hand once, when it popped open in my pocket!

So, I see you are located in Hawaii. That is REALLY far away from me. Do you have an online store? They may be cheap knives, but it might be kind of fun, as well as affordable, to duplicate Locke's collection. A neat conversation piece! How can I check out your inventory?

I have one of those Tekna knives around here somewhere, it has a flashlight and a fishing reel in the handle of the knife. Now that I think about it I think the fishing reel goes in the sheath....Will have to dig it out. In my opnion this would be a poor choice for a survival knife, with the holes in the blade it looks like it would break in half with any side pressure at all.
Matt

Pontiaker said:
I have one of those Tekna knives around here somewhere, it has a flashlight and a fishing reel in the handle of the knife. Now that I think about it I think the fishing reel goes in the sheath....Will have to dig it out. In my opnion this would be a poor choice for a survival knife, with the holes in the blade it looks like it would break in half with any side pressure at all.
Matt

I just broke down and ordered one. :) We'll see if it's any degree of awesome. Does come with a nice light, though. Have you thought about selling yours, Pontiaker? If so, how much? I was only able to find one place on the internet that seemed to have them in stock, and that was $140. More than I wanted to pay, but hey, it captured my interest.

Incidentally, assuming we have now identified Locke's entire collection, I've tallied up all the prices, using the cheapest sources I could find. Locke's collection weighs in at $414.63!

Atlanta Cutlery Master Bowie--------------$7.95
Master “Spyderco” Knockoff C-7701------$5.50
Master Sky Hawk YK-875S----------------$4.29
Atlanta Cutlery Jaguar-------------------$14.95
Master “Nighthawk” HK-330B --------------$9.35
Tekna Wilderness Edge-----------------$140.00
United Cutlery Sentry Serrated Tanto-----$29.49
United Cutlery Delta Defender------------$44.95
Spyderco Harpy-------------------------$36.00
Buck Special 119BR----------------------$74.20
Ka-Bar Full-Sized USMC Serrated Edge ----$47.95
-----------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------$414.63

OH, dilemma of dilemmas! I am torn!

Got my Tekna Wilderness Edge today, and to my surprise, it is NOT exactly like the one on "Lost."

It's better.

It does NOT have the cut-outs in the blade, the feature consistently remarked on by members of this forum as the Tekna's weakest characteristic.

Of course, now I have to decide whether I want to keep this technically superior knife, or whether I want to try and exchange it for one that is more like the one used on the show.

The first step is, of course, finding out if the dealer even has one with cut-outs. I'm kinda hoping they DON'T, just so I don't have to make the decision myself!

I'm sure the answer is an easy one for you pure knife enthusiasts, but for me, it's a tough choice! I got the Tekna both because I like the knife, but also because it's a reminder of the show, which I am a big fan of. Now I gotta decide whether to follow my head or my heart.

Thoughts?

New, old stock of the Wilderness Edge is available from Tektite at www.tekna.us.

The following are some answers to questions:
  • The cutout blade version of the knife is no longer available.
  • The Wilderness Edge is made from 425 stainless steel.
  • The knife is high quality; it is actually used by the Japanese Defense Forces (standard issue).

Tektite said:
New, old stock of the Wilderness Edge is available from Tektite at www.tekna.us.

The following are some answers to questions:
  • The cutout blade version of the knife is no longer available.
  • The Wilderness Edge is made from 425 stainless steel.
  • The knife is high quality; it is actually used by the Japanese Defense Forces (standard issue).

Interesting info!

You are in fact the guys I got the Tekna from! May I say the lady that took my order, and then yesterday answered my questions about Teknas with/without cutouts was very nice. She deserves a raise! :)

Here's my Tekna:

JonsTekna.jpg

I am, I think, happy and satisfied with it overall. I do believe I will keep it, and give up my search for blades with inferior (if cool-looking) cut-outs.

Hey gang! Got some new (hopefully) interesting pictures and information! This is largely thanks to:

http://lost-media.com/index.php

This site has some awesomely detailed screen caps and promotional photographs from the show. In fact, I'm going to be re-doing some of the comparison shots of Locke's knives soon, because lost-media has pictures that are so much more crisp and detailed than anything I can cap.

Lessee, first, looks like Imp was definitely right when he suggested they're breaking a fair number of Master Bowies on the show. They're even working it into the story!

LockesBrokenMasterBowie.jpg

This appears to be a Master Bowie on which the front third of the blade has snapped off. Locke is using it to build a baby crib for Claire! It confirms the notion that, story-wise, Locke must have brought more than one Master Bowie with him. In the uncropped full shot, he's still got another Master Bowie on his belt, along with the busted one in his hand.

Next up: Locke's pocket knife:

LockesPocketKnife.jpg

I totally forgot about this one, probably because it's the knife he uses BEFORE we find out he's a knife collector. He uses it to make the dog whistle early in the series. Even with this shot, it's pretty much impossible to tell specifically what it is. Pretty common looking lockback pocket knife design.

Next up, Locke's sheath for his Master Bowie:

LockesMasterBowieSheath.jpg

This is NOT the sheath that comes with the Master Bowie, but is instead a pretty nice-looking leather copy of the rather crappy black nylon sheath included with the knife.

Finally, we have the big metal case that Locke keeps his knives in:

LockesRimowaTropicana.jpg

Considering the overall crapitude of the knives in his collection, this is a VERY nice case! Based on my research, this is a medium-sized version of the Rimowa Tropicana trolley case, which (if you can find it, which I can't) runs between $300 to $500! It's tough, airtight, right up there in quality with the Haliburton that Sawyer tried and failed to break into. Nice case! btw, if anyone can source me a case like that, I'd appreciate it. :)

Well, that's it for today!

Leanwolf said:
It's all just show biz, boys and girls. You can bet your last dollar that the knives they carry (Locke, et. cie.) are NOT sharp. Unless you see an actual use of a knife cutting something, the knives they carry are prop knives... or knives that have had the blades dulled totally. Afterall, most actors are stupid, and can't be trusted with sharp knives. Plus, there are all kinds of insurance liablilities that would be in place if some dumb actor cut himself.

Here's a perfect example of the above statement:

LockesStuntMasterBowie.jpg

These images were taken from the episode "Special." At first, the knife confused me, because it looks like a Master Bowie, only without serrations. Then I realised they have simply ground off the serrations to make the knife safer! Probably because Walt (a young boy) handles the knife in this particular episode.

Got my Master Bowie! It's pretty awesome, in spite of its cheapness. Check it out:

draino1.jpg

Hmmm, I thought I'd show off my chest for kicks:

draino3.jpg

Why? Because shutup. :)

PS - If you haven't seen 'em yet, check out the new and improved pics at the top of page 1!

Shoot, I wouldn't have picked any of those knives to survive with. When will Hollywood get up some good taste in knives?

Erasmus,

....and besides couldn't they have gotten some money or at least some free (higher quality) knives for product placement? ...not that I would want to take any money away from the seller (imp) that kindly posted. I just recall reading that is an issue / done in the movies....

They could even have a flashback where he was carefully selecting his knives for the trip.... perhaps in Imp's store... :D

Back