Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter

I don't own one but I have handled one. They have them in stock at my local Gander Mtn. It's a sturdy and ergonomic blade no doubt, but seems overbuilt to me. The blade is very thick, appears atleast 4mm which is much thicker than I prefer for this type of knife.

I personally think S30v is an excellent choice of steel.

I would be much more interested in it if had a thinner blade stock, say around 3mm or even less. Batoning is not on my list of necessities for this type of knife and I would much rather have a lighter and thinner knife.

I don't think it has anything on my $40 Mora Bushcraft black, and Truth be told I have made it through many hunting and camping outings with a Mora no 1 and been just fine.

It's a handsome knife, but I will not be picking one up.

It looks nice but I would much prefer my Fallkniven F1 for about the same price.
SWEDF1EK.jpg

http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/details/370/10/military-knives/f1

agreed 100%....ive used these knives (in VG-10 and 3G) for years as well as a Vic to compliment the Fallkniven, and have never been let down. imo one knife is NEVER the solution to the "best bushcrafter" knife and im not a big fan of Benchmades steel of choice for a "bushcrafter". just my .02

Last edited:
A lot of folks say the blade is too thick, the handle doesn't look right, etc. Granted, it is one brute of a knife, but most folks own more than one knife. If you were in a survival situation, wouldn't you want at least one knife that wouldn't let you down for hard use?
A lot of the reviews I watched stated that they didn't like the handle's looks at first, but in use it turned out to be pretty good.
There is one video where the guy batons chunks out of a piece of wood, then shaves his arm with it afterwards. I couldn't find that one at the moment, but did find the tip test where it passed with flying colors. ;)
http://youtu.be/uukEA3iU6H8

There is one video where the guy batons chunks out of a piece of wood, then shaves his arm with it afterwards. I couldn't find that one at the moment, but did find the tip test where it passed with flying colors. ;)
Found it.
http://youtu.be/3ntmZKvsvVA
Now come on folks, wouldn't you like to include a knife that will take this type of abuse, then still shave the hair on your arm? ;)

The only problem with the F1 in standard handle material is that in a hot environment like Florida, Mosquitoes are a real problem and DEET will breakdown any kraton type material. The F1 in micarta is outstanding. I had a Cold Steel Master Hunter handle melt when it came in contact with 100% DEET. Just a consideration. I've had a 162 for two years and it has been excellent. I made a new sheath from carbon fiber pattern kydex and love it.

I have one for canoe camping and I like it a lot.
I got rid of the terrible sheath... the sheath cut itself while inserting the knife !
The knife itself is sturdy, extremely sharp and an excellent choice for a stainless bushcraft knife.
I have used to:

-Make feather sticks: good
-Baton: excellent
-Light chopping: good
-Food prep: Excellent
-Light fire with the firesteel: very good

I already have other bushcraft knives in O1 so this is a nice change :D

I picked one up because I wanted a field knife but I had to have stainless steel. So far the knife has been great but the sheath just sucks. There, I said it. The sheath SUCKS! Buy the knife and throw the garbage sheath away. Nothing wrong with leather, I like leather (no sex comments, please). Just don't care for the design of the factory sheath.

Would love to see Benchmade come out with two more knives to pair up with the 162. First, a small three inch fixed blade. Second, a FFG camp knife of some sort. You would have a great kit for field use.

There, I said it. The sheath SUCKS! Buy the knife and throw the garbage sheath away. Nothing wrong with leather, I like leather (no sex comments, please). Just don't care for the design of the factory sheath.
When I visited BM's booth at Shot Show they showed me a Kydex sheath for this knife that will be in their new catalogs.
As an aside, I haven't had any problem with their leather sheath yet. :cool:

Sorry to revive an ancient thread but figured it'd be better than starting yet another one about this knife. I'm mainly looking for opinions from people who've used or at least held this blade. I want to buy a new fixed blade knife for deer and bear hunting and want to stick with Benchmade as all my other knives are from them. Would this be a decent big game gut/skinning offering from Benchmade or have you guys found a better model for that purpose? I want fixed blade, no gut hook and I really prefer s30v steel.

I handled one at an REI a few weeks ago, the handle's bulge just didn't sit in the right part of the hand for me, it felt off-balance and just not comfortable. With the sabre grind and the ill-fitting handle I'm not really leaning towards getting one.

Benchmade offers there hunt series knives in all kinds of shapes and sizes in S30v

Never used a 162 for hunting. I dont see why it woundnt work. The balance is more towards the handle which gives great control.The palm swell works better in use then fondling.

For carving it supports the hand when fully choked on the blade. I wear XL/L size gloves for reference.
Here's my review.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...chmade-162-Bushcrafter-review-(picture-heavy)

I recommend feeling it in hand at a local store before purchase.

A BM saddle mtn skinner might work better.

It's funny that this thread was revived! I have one and do recommend it. I believe it competed well in the market, in consideration to my desires, at the time i bought it (Sept. 2014). I demand a stainless steel, a secure guard, a drop point profile, real handle slabs (no paracord or rubber), and good fit and finish. This knife delivered all those things. The spine is thick 0.164" but even at that thickness, a 15 degree per side secondary bevel does not manifest itself to be very tall, proving that it is still thin down at the cutting edge. It cuts everything i want it to very well.

Take note that the stock sheath does not function very well. I had one custom-made in kydex. Also, i noticed the blade is a softer S30V. This is probably to decrease chipping issues. It is not a problem for me because it still holds a great edge and keeps a utility edge for a long time.

Anyway, my bottom-line is that this knife is badass :) My only dream is to get a real Sibert Custom of this model.

I like the look of it and the sabre grind. But s30v puts me off for a bushcraft knife.

S30V may not be your "typical" bushcraft knife steel , but so far I find my 162 to be an excellent bushcraft knife. No problems sharpening with diamonds or ceramics , keeps a working edge a long time , and I've had no probs with chipping or rolling the edge.

Another good factor is no corrosion issues. I've had all manner of crap on this blade and it just wipes off with no marks.

But s30v puts me off for a bushcraft knife.
Do you mind if I ask you why? I think S30V is a very good, dependable steel. Isn't that what you would want in a bushcraft knife? :)
I understand the purist interest also. I have knives from L.T.Wright in 01, and Blind Horse, but that one is Sandvick stainless.
If you want to go real purist, get a handmade knife with an Obsidian blade. ;)

I've had one for 6 months now, and I love the blade (great for whittling, feathersticks, and awesome in the kitchen), but the sheath is absolutely horrid..... I want to appreciate it more but can't trust the sheath to take it out in the bush. Has anyone tried out the benchmade kydex sheath? Any thoughts on it? Also, Who/where are you guys ordering your custom kydex sheaths from?

I've had one for 6 months now, and I love the blade (great for whittling, feathersticks, and awesome in the kitchen), but the sheath is absolutely horrid..... I want to appreciate it more but can't trust the sheath to take it out in the bush. Has anyone tried out the benchmade kydex sheath? Any thoughts on it? Also, Who/where are you guys ordering your custom kydex sheaths from?
I've heard horror stories about the sheath. Mostly about the knife either cutting the sheath open, or cutting the retention strap when drawing or reinserting. I have not had those problems myself, although I can see how it might happen.
I think if I were to get another sheath for it, it would be a leather bushcrafter style kind of like the one DeadboxHero made for himself. He has shown it in another thread about this knife. If you guys ask real nice he might post it here too. ;)

S30V may not be your "typical" bushcraft knife steel , but so far I find my 162 to be an excellent bushcraft knife. No problems sharpening with diamonds or ceramics , keeps a working edge a long time , and I've had no probs with chipping or rolling the edge.

Another good factor is no corrosion issues. I've had all manner of crap on this blade and it just wipes off with no marks.

I have had a small amount of problems with mine chipping but it is my fault. You hit a rock and any knife will chip.

This is the only knife I own in S30v steel but it won't be my last.

Back