Benchmade 551-1 just got one yesterday.

Dallas T

Gold Member
I received this one in the mail, $150 shipped. First impression is fantastic and I have not usually been a big griptilian fan. However this one is very nice and solid. Way better balanced than plastic handle. Came very sharp, very recommended. Would put up pics but can't figure out how, lol.

Is this the one with the grey G-10 handle, blue liners and CPM-20V steel? I ordered one and is still awaiting for the delivery. This is going to be my first Benchmade and I am curious how it will feel like.

Yes its that one u described, it feels very solid and extremely well built. Centering is dead center, no play in any direction. The scales r unbelievable compared to the usual plastic ones. Handle even has an almost rubber type grip feel to them but just enough. Think u will enjoy it, I am.

Now I am real excited. Makes me glad I did not order the normal Griptillian with 154cm and molded handle. Maybe I might still like those but I am sure I will fall in love with the 551-1. Woohoo! Thanks!

No problem, nothing better and.more exciting than someone having and recommending a blade that u have in the mail. Once having this one you won't b able to go back to the basic one.

Would put up pics but can't figure out how, lol.

As a registered non paying member you cannot directly upload pictures. You need to create a free account at one of the image hosting sites (I use photobucket, imagur is another popular one) and after uploading your pics to your account on the hosting site, you then would have links available to share your picture on different sites in different formats.

The link that starts with

As a registered non paying member you cannot directly upload pictures. You need to create a free account at one of the image hosting sites (I use photobucket, imagur is another popular one) and after uploading your pics to your account on the hosting site, you then would have links available to share your picture on different sites in different formats.

The link that starts with is the one you would be looking for to share your picture on a forum site such as this.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's right. Try it Dallas T, it is pretty easy.

Would shutter fly work I already have that account.

I wasn't familiar with ShutterFly but took a look at it and I think it is more of a platform for ordering prints and albums from your photos. I don't think it is a photo storage and sharing site. Really, try out photobucket. It is really easy, and I am a computer idiot.

Very nice. I really like the 2016 Griptillian. I have had the 154cm Griptillian for less than a year, so I will get a Benchmades fixed blade before I look into getting the 2016 Griptillian.
Alot of people voiced their opinion about the previous handle for the Geiptillian, and now the 2016 version comes with a G-10 handle (I gotta say, I dig the color scheme: gray/blue). And the new Griptillian also features upgraded steel. What's not to like about the 2016 Griptillian? I am also excited to see what kind of fixed blades will be coming out this year. Not sure if majority of them will be previous versions but with upgrades or a line up of totally new style/shape fixed blades.

I just placed my order for one of these last night. For those that own it, can the liners be separated from the g10, or are they epoxied?

I just placed my order for one of these last night. For those that own it, can the liners be separated from the g10, or are they epoxied?

I don't plan on taking mine apart but I can't see any reason why they would be epoxied.

I was talking about separating the gray g10 from the blue liners.

I really like the blue! It's the gray that I'm not sure about yet. It looks cool, but I'd rather it be a dark gray or black. I was asking because I was planning on using RIT dye on the scales if I don't end up warming up to the color.

I really like the blue! It's the gray that I'm not sure about yet. It looks cool, but I'd rather it be a dark gray or black. I was asking because I was planning on using RIT dye on the scales if I don't end up warming up to the color.
Have to agree with you. Although I am fine with the grey tone provided, I always wonder if it will look nicer in a darker shade.

The will not be coming apart.

Back