Benchmade 940-1 experiences?

Yo Mama

Gold Member
Looking at the cf 940-1, for those that have one is this worth the price? Also, i hate thumbstuds, but ran out of options so willing to try them. Are the thumb studs in the way during cutting or putting back into the pocket?

Thanks

I no longer have a 940, but it served me well for quite some time. It was a good knife, although it was a ground thicker than I like. The thumbstud was never in my way. Worth the money? In my opinion all Benchmade knives are over priced, but that's because I'm a cheap-arsch

I have the standard green 940 and always thought it is one of their better models . They were around $130 when I bought mine 10 years ago. Prices have really gone up since then , not just Benchmade :( Never had a problem with the thumb studs.

I've had a pile of different 940 series knives and if you don't mind the somewhat too-thick blade shape IMO it's a fantastic knife.

My 940-1 was amazing, but I sold it because it turns out that I prefer the G10 handle variants. My favorite is the 940-1701, a now-discontinued dealer exclusive model but really I like any G10 variant that has the original blade shape. If you like CF you should love the 940-1, though. Great knife.

My original green and purple 940 that I carried for years is like an old friend at this point, I'll always have that knife.

Looking at the cf 940-1, for those that have one is this worth the price? Also, i hate thumbstuds, but ran out of options so willing to try them. Are the thumb studs in the way during cutting or putting back into the pocket?

Thanks
I'd recommend the 940 in a S30V blade configuration. S90V is far too time consuming to sharpen properly.

I owned a 940-1 and liked it. The thumb studs never got in my way (although they're set so close to the handle that it did take me a while to master opening it). The CF was lovely, as was the dark stonewash on that version.

Once I got a Bugout, I sold the 940. The Bugout weighs less, slices better (the 940 is ground pretty thick for its size), and fills my hand better.

I bought a 940-1 and I don't like it. Paid about $230 from knife-shop,
and NEVER Carried IT...
Sits in a cardboard box buried in the closet, with others I don't use.
I've owned four or five BM's, but don't like 'em....too light, for one thing...
...thinned the working edge...still don't like it...
I carry a "DROP" Laconico Keen and love it....have owned MANY folders...MANY...
It's a lot of personal opinion, not a slam on the knife or brand.

Yo Mama, the 940 is one of my favorite Benchmade knives. The carbon fiber is done well. I have not had any issues with the thumb studs. The blade is thicker behind the edge so it is not the most slicey knife, but it has performed more than adequately in my day to day use. As for price, it is always a difficult pill to swallow with regards to Benchmade’s pricing. Unfortunately, that is up to you to decide if it is worth it.

JonesE

Thanks
Never could warm up to that knife too skinny for me sold mine year's ago

It is a great slim, lightweight, but long folder. However, I feel it is about $30-$50 more overpriced, especially now that you can no longer get the blade replaced by BM for $30-$40.

To answer your question about the thumb studs, nope, I never found them to get in the way at all (and I'm not generally a thumb stud fan). I can tell you that on the 940-2 that I had (G10 scales) the opening and closing action was incredibly smooth- better than any knife I've ever tried. Good luck!

I've also had no issues with the thumb studs in terms of use or them getting in the way. From a 'worth it' perspective, it's all in the eye of the beholder. For me personally, I paid full retail for a 940 last year from Sportsmans. After using for EDC on/off for a few months, I realized it's just too thick behind the edge for my use/liking. Because of that, I'm not sure it'll stay in my collection in the long term and overall feel like I overpaid. Just my experience, hope that helps.

I've got the green version. I'm not a thumb stud guy AT ALL, but they work well on this knife. You can't go wrong with either the 940 or Bugout (I own both), but if I had to pick one, I prefer the more robust feel of the 940.

Thank you everyone for your responses. In regards to being a lightweight knife that is kind of what I'm going for more often nowadays. I want something that disappears. The Protech Malibu and Civivi Elementum started changing me to lighter blades.

Looking at it the cost does not add up to materials in my opinion, but I am willing to pay the butterfly tax. Visually i don't care for the bugout, but tons of feedback it's a better slicer.

OK well I just ordered, started getting to be hard to find quickly so I hit add to cart and now the wait.

200 bucks for painted aluminum and S30V in a knife with a thick and short grind.

It’s a bummer the price keeps it from being something I’d like to own. I just don’t see the value.

I do admire the knife overall. Just not the cost.

In regards to being a lightweight knife that is kind of what I'm going for more often nowadays. I want something that disappears.
One of the things I like about the 940(-1) is how it sort of balances function, form, and discretion. It’s capable, pretty sturdy, quite portable, unobtrusive, ergonomic (imo), and the 940-1 just looks sleek. I hope you like it.

Back