Benchmade and H&K latest news - no one mentioned yet?

too bad, the H&H OTF lineup was really nice....very reasonably priced....better that the proper Benchmade OTFs!

Doesn't Spyderco have MAP now too? :/

Not in the same way BM does. Spyderco still allows dealers to mark down 40% from MSRP, before they could mark down to 50%, so really you're looking at a 10% price increase at worst. Compared to BM's 40% increase, the two aren't really in the same MAP ballpark.

a) the timing makes sense because this is the time of year that companies are getting their 2017 catalogues in line.

b) I'm guessing having to pay HK to use their name on already lower priced knives wasn't making too much sense. Benchmade is going to being back all of the popular ones and either they will price them lower to be more competitive or they will price them the same and make more per knife. Either way, seems pretty clear that Benchmade didn't feel that the cost of the licensing the name didn't move the needle enough to make sense for them.

c) The other option is HK thought too highly of themselves and demanded more money for the licensing of their name. This wouldn't shock me too much considering how HK operates but I think b) is the more likely scenario.

Not in the same way BM does. Spyderco still allows dealers to mark down 40% from MSRP, before they could mark down to 50%, so really you're looking at a 10% price increase at worst. Compared to BM's 40% increase, the two aren't really in the same MAP ballpark.

Percentages don't mean squat really. Spyderco's MSRP prices are stupidly high. They are the JC Penny's of knife companies. Everything it prices ridiculously high and then a steep discount is given so people think they are getting a deal.

Benchmade enforced their MAP but then wound up lowering most of their MAP prices to cover the gap.

I think it wound up being a wash in the end. The Griptilian and the PM2 are still 15-20 apart from eachother on price, they are just both now about $10 more than they were 4 years ago.

Back