Benchmade Proper vs. ZT 0230

So, update and question for those who know the Proper.

I stopped by a LGS on my lunch break who is a Premium BM dealer and much to my surprise they had quite a few Propers in the display case, actually all varients BM has produced except the Gold Class.

The prices on all their BM are well below any online retailer so we're good on that aspect.

Unfortunately they only had one Proper with the Micarta and Sheepsfoot remaining. I handled it and immediately noticed the blade was way off center and almost touching the liner. With the knife still closed I tested the play and it was awful, I mean the worst out of the box BM I've ever experienced. I opened it and still had some bad side to side play. Everything else was great, grind, sharpness and scales.

I can buy it brand new for under what I see them going for on the secondary market, whether the secondary market knife has been carried or LNIB.

So, do I pull the trigger and try to adjust the pivot or worst case send it to BM? Or pass and spend the extra few $'s to get a perfect example whether used or new?

So, update and question for those who know the Proper.

I stopped by a LGS on my lunch break who is a Premium BM dealer and much to my surprise they had quite a few Propers in the display case, actually all varients BM has produced except the Gold Class.

The prices on all their BM are well below any online retailer so we're good on that aspect.

Unfortunately they only had one Proper with the Micarta and Sheepsfoot remaining. I handled it and immediately noticed the blade was way off center and almost touching the liner. With the knife still closed I tested the play and it was awful, I mean the worst out of the box BM I've ever experienced. I opened it and still had some bad side to side play. Everything else was great, grind, sharpness and scales.

I can buy it brand new for under what I see them going for on the secondary market, whether the secondary market knife has been carried or LNIB.

So, do I pull the trigger and try to adjust the pivot or worst case send it to BM? Or pass and spend the extra few $'s to get a perfect example whether used or new?
It would have to be really cheap for me to roll the dice on that.
Anything over $75-$80 and Id just wait and find a good lnib example on the exchange.

If you'd like a slippy with a clip consider the manly wasp in S90v. I own one in Sandvik and is very thin BTE and about 50 bucks versus 75 for s90v and like it quite a bit. has nice half stops (4 if I remember correctly). If I'm going for a traditional with no clip I generally carry a case or my GEC. A SAK alox is always a good option also. I own a cadet. Civivi has a nice rustic gent lockback out now also although not a slip joint or US made but looks pretty nice with CF bolsters and micarta. Havent handled a proper or the ZT. just thought I'd throw some other options out there.

It would have to be really cheap for me to roll the dice on that.
Anything over $75-$80 and Id just wait and find a good lnib example on the exchange.

Yeah, you're right. The more I pondered the more I realize I don't want to deal with the possible hassle. I was just excited at the thought of stopping by on the way home from work and having it in my hands tonight.

If you'd like a slippy with a clip consider the manly wasp in S90v. I own one in Sandvik and is very thin BTE and about 50 bucks versus 75 for s90v and like it quite a bit. has nice half stops (4 if I remember correctly). If I'm going for a traditional with no clip I generally carry a case or my GEC. A SAK alox is always a good option also. I own a cadet. Civivi has a nice rustic gent lockback out now also although not a slip joint or US made but looks pretty nice with CF bolsters and micarta. Havent handled a proper or the ZT. just thought I'd throw some other options out there.

This is also a good option. I have the 12C27 version and it is a well made knife with a great grind, thin behind the edge. You can upgrade to S90V and still come in for less money than a Proper. The four-position stops will take a little getting used to, but they inspire confidence that this knife will not close on your fingers.

Another option that you could consider if you want a truly traditional look is the Viper EO that Mike has. Traditional teardrop easy opener pattern with M390 blade and a variety of handle materials. It has the same detent system that the ZT 0230 has.
Qgrstw3.jpg

In the past couple weeks I landed a new job, and decided I needed a pocket knife that was more discreet for an office setting. Funny, the first two things I decided I needed to get for the new job were a knife and some different work boots. Anyway...

I picked up the ZT 0230 over the Proper. I've had a Proper and was irked about uneven the bevel was from side to side and didn't want to take a chance again.

The ZT is a great little pocket knife and the quality is just fine. It is a really unique take on a non-locking pocket knife. The detent stops instead of a back spring are really cool, and gives it a unique feel like a flipper when the detent is overcome. I find it pretty nice. My one complaint is the detent in the fully open position seems a little soft. It is a small knife and you'll never be doing hard tasks that will run the risk of it folding, but it seems like it could be a risk. But it will do what a slipjoint is designed to do.

The nail nick is not quite right. Maybe it's not in the right position on the length of the blade. But it's no problem. I find I open it by pinching the blade 100% of the time anyway.

It came evenly ground and pretty sharp. Nothing to write home about, but decent. I got it to the next level of sharp, at 18dps on my wicked edge in about 20 minutes. Then I stropped it. Now... Wow!

I normally don't like a knife laying cross ways in the bottom of my pocket. Pocket clips are the norm for me. This knife is pretty slim so even laying in the bottom of your pocket the imprint is minimal.

I like it enough that I find myself carrying it even when I'm not at the office. It's a really appealing little pocket knife.

Just my two cents...

I own both the CF Proper and the ZT0230. I love the Proper (I have 4 of them), and I'm a bit of a BM fanboy. Both the Proper and ZT0230 are excellent, great looking knives, IMHO. You couldn't go wrong with either one of them.

However, if I could have only one of these two knives, I'd get the ZT0230. The Proper is a more "traditional styled" slip joint with backspring, while the ZT0230 is more "atypical", because of the double detent, open construction, splash of color, and protruding lanyard hole. Yet, somehow, the ZT0230 looks and feels like a more traditional slip joint (if that makes sense). The ZT0230 also is a very easy opening and closing knife.

I'm just glad I didn't have to choose between them.

I’ve held the Proper and it was ok, the 230 has less of a footprint in pocket. The double detent is nifty, I like it a lot.

My vote is 0230.

Have the ZT and a micarta clip point proper.
I like both for different reasons, but find the ZT a little easier to use. It carries a little better and opens quite easily with one hand if you need to.

Back