Benchmade quality

I posted this in the Benchmade forum as well. I received this Bugout on 07/09/2020, and it arrived with horizontal blade-play. In less than a month - I lost an omega spring. I fell for the lightweight, amazing EDC hype. I just defended their QC/centering in another thread, and now they just lost my business permanently.

Put my pictures into the album for when Benchmade defenders say that there is unpictured/undocumented evidence on their QC. I wish I had taken pictures of the uneven grinds on my 940-1 too.

This is a fake Benchmade Bugout.

Again, it does not appear to be an authentic Benchmade. I am not saying omega spring failures don't happen...of the 30-some Benchmades I have purchased over the past two decades (most of which were Axis), I have had one spring fail on a knife that saw constant flicking. They will eventually fail if you use it long enough, corrosion is often a contributing factor to premature failures, but occasionally they do fail early on. IMHO, concerns of omega spring failure are often overstated, but my opinion there is a different topic.

Getting back on topic, that specific knife does not appear to be a Benchmade. If someone is basing their opinion of Benchmade on that specific knife, they may not actually be basing their opinion on an authentic Benchmade. Some of the negative reviews of brands like Benchmade and Spyderco are coming from users who wound up purchasing a product that was sold as authentic but is actually a forgery. These fakes are extremely common on both eBay and Amazon.

View attachment 1393072

(source)

Edit - here is a video showing the internals of the Bugout, again showing significant differences between the known authentic Benchmade and the knife of the original poster.

(note to mods - this internal photo is readily available on the web, but if this comparison photo is not appropriate, I apologize in advance.)

I don’t know if it’s real or fake. My reply was meant to be a joke. I have had real Benchmades purchased from big name B&M dealers. I’ve had several spring break and play in almost every knife I’ve owned from them.

I don’t know if it’s real or fake. My reply was meant to be a joke. I have had real Benchmades purchased from big name B&M dealers. I’ve had several spring break and play in almost every knife I’ve owned from them.

I have owned and used benchmades for 20 years and only had one omega spring failure. If you are saying you have had an omega spring failure in every knife I can only assume you are a liar or abuse your stuff horribly.

I have owned and used benchmades for 20 years and only had one omega spring failure. If you are saying you have had an omega spring failure in every knife I can only assume you are a liar or abuse your stuff horribly.
I said I had several springs break and I’ve had play in almost every Benchmade I have owned. Common sense would dictate that the “every Benchmade” comment was about play and not springs since it would make zero sense to say “several” then “every” for the same identified quantity. It’s all written right there on the page.

I said I had several springs break and I’ve had play in almost every Benchmade I have owned. Common sense would dictate that the “every Benchmade” comment was about play and not springs since it would make zero sense to say “several” then “every” for the same identified quantity. It’s all written right there on the page.

Written rather ambiguously. Common sense would have you make “spring” plural after “several” as well.

Written rather ambiguously. Common sense would have you make “spring” plural after “several” as well.
Common sense is often overruled by typos/autocorrect, thanks. The only way it’s written ambiguously is if you’re as pedantic as you seem to be. Anyhow, I have reiterated my point for you in a less ambiguous way.

I have 3 Benchmades and have had no problems with any of them. I bought all 3 when they were being discontinued (two exclusives, one when they were swapping from 154cm to s30v. For the price I paid for them they were very good values.
One of the things I don't see getting mentioned much in terms of BM vs others in terms of value is their warranty & their services. I can beat the crap out of my BMs and if I snap a tip or the whole blade or have something else catastrophic happen to it and send it in and have them repair it for a few bucks. That's not the case with all knife manufacturers, many won't do much unless it's something caused by a manufacturing defect. There are also people that can't sharpen a knife/are unwilling to learn how, they can send in a BM and they'll sharpen it and clean and tune it while it's there Vs. those that send out their knives to get sharpened and pay the person for it regularly. The savings for people like that add up over time. Their warranty & services do get added into the initial cost of the knife and not everyone will have a use for all of what they offer for sure, but it's something to consider.

Reactions: DMG
I have 3 Benchmades and have had no problems with any of them. I bought all 3 when they were being discontinued (two exclusives, one when they were swapping from 154cm to s30v. For the price I paid for them they were very good values.
One of the things I don't see getting mentioned much in terms of BM vs others in terms of value is their warranty & their services. I can beat the crap out of my BMs and if I snap a tip or the whole blade or have something else catastrophic happen to it and send it in and have them repair it for a few bucks. That's not the case with all knife manufacturers, many won't do much unless it's something caused by a manufacturing defect. There are also people that can't sharpen a knife/are unwilling to learn how, they can send in a BM and they'll sharpen it and clean and tune it while it's there Vs. those that send out their knives to get sharpened and pay the person for it regularly. The savings for people like that add up over time. Their warranty & services do get added into the initial cost of the knife and not everyone will have a use for all of what they offer for sure, but it's something to consider.
Most good companies are going to have a warranty that covers everything just mentioned.

Most good companies are going to have a warranty that covers everything just mentioned.

I can think of three off the top of my head that have superb warranties. Buck, Benchmade, and Kershaw/Zero Tolerance. Who else has warranties as good as those three? Complete knife rebuilds and tune ups, sharpening, blade replacements...Most of the rest of the companies seem to only warranty a knife if it is defective.

Not so. Many companies do not routinely stock parts for discontinued knives like BM. I know Buck doesn’t from experience. CRK changed their policy, old model parts are now only for warranty work. Spyderco has never routinely stocked parts for models made outside US.

Reactions: DMG
Back