Benchmade vs Kershaw

Got it in my mind I want a good knife. Always carried junk. So I've gotten to look a
D love the 943 Osborne but it is too much to justify with a baby girl in the house. So I looked at the griptilian, mini grip, blur and leek. I love the size of the mini grip and leek for putting in my pocket and being comfortable. However the handle on the mini grip feels and looks cheap and the blade on the leek feels and looks cheap. Therefore I can't decide I also like the assisted leek but the axis benchmade is like butter. Is there a benchmade that isn't much more with a better handle?

dont be fooled by the scale of the Grip. they are very durable and are very grippy. I say go for the Griptilian, I love mine. the 154cm Steel is wonderful & holds a hair popping edge for quite a while. I really like the leek but for what i do the blade was too thin. I carry mine on lazy days and Gent. events

& if you travel you dont have to worry about assisted issues

You can't get much smoother than a Blur with the torsion bar removed and the detent tuned a bit. After I got my carbon fiber Blur done up like that, there hasn't been a knife that's topped it for daily use.

My recommendation is that you try a carbon fiber Blur. The CPM-154 steel out performs standard 154CM as well, and I couldn't ask for a nicer steel to use and touch up.

This thread will get ugly.

Save up and get the 943. It's the penultimate Benchmade.

I prefer Benchmade over Kershaw any day. My preference is based on the designs, and my ultimate hatred of recurve blades. Kershaws look goofy and those damn swoopy blades are a pain in the pooper to sharpen.

They are both excellent companies with a great diversified lineup and excellent warranty service. Choose either one, and they will serve you well.

I would say benchmade is more higher end than Kershaw because Kershaw has their zt line of knives which is more comparable (steel and material-wise). The S30V blur looks pretty nice though.

If you get a grip, find a colored scale one. The grivory doesn't feel nearly as cheap.

That said, I would suggest consider finding a cheaper ZT here, like the 350. The ZT warranty is just plainly wonderful.

... Is there a benchmade that isn't much more with a better handle?

I don't know what the price is on the mini-G you're looking at, but BM's 15030 small Bone Collector can often be found under or just over $100. It's close to the same length with AXIS lock, slightly wider G10 scales and a blade shape similar to the mini-Gs with hole openers. It's an outstanding value for a smaller folder.

What about the 707 sequel?

707.jpg

I don't know what the price is on the mini-G you're looking at, but BM's 15030 small Bone Collector can often be found under or just over $100. It's close to the same length with AXIS lock, slightly wider G10 scales and a blade shape similar to the mini-Gs with hole openers. It's an outstanding value for a smaller folder.

I can get the mini grip from $67-$80

If you really want a 940, my suggestion is to save up for it. I'm in a similar boat, my son is 19 months old now, and I totally get not wanting to spend a chunk of change on yourself when you have another mouth to feed. Its admirable, actually. Are there expenses you could cut or down on to free up some cash? I ended up saving spare change in a jar and eliminating fast food meals until I had saved up, and it helped justify the purchase for me. The only reason I suggest this is that I've been there, and I know that until you get a 940, you'll want a 940, and it really is a great knife. If you still would feel guilty, though, check out the Kershaw cryo. Its about the size of the mini grip, very substantial-feeling, and even cheaper. Then take the $30 you saved and put it in the 940 fund.:D

I had a mini-grip 555HG (sheep's foot blade with the spydie thumb-hole). As said before, don't let the grips fool you. My m-g was solid, easy to take care of, felt good in hand and it was one hell of a slicer. Haven't replaced it yet, but someday I'm going to get another 555HG!

Kershaw makes other models, such as the skyline that you could consider.

The Blur is really nice but a bit larger than the mini-grip.

I had a 943 for a while, regretted selling it, then grabbed another one on the exchange not long ago. For some reason, I wasn't so fond of it the second time around. Sure, it was the typically smooth axis lock action, and very pocketable, and a looker to boot. But S30V is just not a great steel IMO. I have an easier time putting scary-sharp edges on 14C28N, CPM154, VG10...just about any other steel does better for me for some reason. I'd go for a Bone Collector myself, if your budget can handle around $100. Or, you can pick up a Kershaw Blur (my current EDC) for cheap if you don't mind a blem from Kershaw Guy. With or without the torsion bar, it's an excellent knife.

There is no point of comparing two companies: it is better to stick to specific products, that always makes more sense for me.
I do not like metal handles and I do not see anything cheap about Mini-Grip handle: with full liners and solid enough hard plastic scales. So it will be Mini-Grip for me: nothing to do with Benchmade/Kershaw in general.

Back