Best bang for your buck

SAK Alox Pioneer. Cheap, easy to maintain, extra tools in a compact package that won’t scare anyone. Plus it comes in all sorts of colors.

I always pump the full size Doug Ritter RSK MK1 G2. 20CV, G10, ambi ABLE lock, open frame, free-drop blade out of the box, zippered pouch. They're not flashy but they cover all bases.

[Personally, I think everyone should own one just to support Mr. Ritter and his advocacy with Knife Rights Foundation.]

The Victorinox Fieldmaster. All the best tools in the smallest package. The Gayle Bradley 2 and Hogue Ritters are both a lot of knife for the $$. Every time I use either of them I wonder why I own so many knives.

I hate to do this, but I've got a Ganzo F7611 that I've been rockin' for a few years now and I just love it. "Axis" lock and 440 C steel. Does the "G-10" on it suck? -Yes. Would I beat the absolute crap out of it like I would a frame lock? -No. But I really do enjoy it. The handle shape is great and that 440 C is some good stuff. Holds an edge for a long time and takes very nicely to a ceramic rod...

-T

I'll add that the most durable folders I've ever had (haven't had many) were these $10 Smith and Wesson, all metal, frame lock knives from farm and fleet. Like a 2.5 inch blade. Hollow grind, which sucks, but I beat the absolute tar out of them and they would not break (broke the tip off one, but only after TOTALLY abusing it digging out screws from hardwood). Wish I didn't lose em...

Cold Steel Rajah 3. Tough knife, great blade shape. But if you prefer a slimmer, sleeker knife, Code 4 in S35VN.

In folder I'm going for either the Kabar Dozier (my travel knife) or the Opinel. I like the pocket clip and better steel on the Kabar so it's the winner.
For a fixed blade it's 100% Mora.

Reactions: DMG
So many good choices; it's a great time to be a Knife Knut.

When it comes to "Best bang for the buck" questions I think implicit in that is punching above its weight. In that regard, there are some standouts.

Buck 110, as well as the Lite versions; KaBar's Dozier, Spyderco Tenacious, many Cold Steel knives - especially the AUS-8 Voyagers when they were on close-out; the 4-Max Scout is, as been said, a lot of knife for the money and though not a bargain basement knife, my favorite is the AD-10 as it hold its own in performance, fit/finish, materials and ergonomics with knives costing several times its price.

In fixed blades, again Buck knives are very knicely done and provide good value. I am also a fan of Becker Knives and all of Ethan's designs done by KaBar punch above their weight.

I will also say that while we all know what a buck (dollar) is we each define "bang" differently. Generally "bang" means value for money spent. That can mean many thing: looks, materials, warranty/customer service, pride of ownership; that's where things become complicated ... and fodder for friendly debate. That's why I can smile at the value received from my $35 (close-out) Cold Steel Large Voyager in AUS-8, my Sebenza as well as my AD-10.

Back