Best Bushcraft nowdays

Great conversation and pics. Lon Humphrey makes a forged 3v Kephart that is pretty incredible, and his forged 52100 Bridger is no slouch either. I also recently reviewed a Fiddleback Forge Bullfrog Bowie; it did really well... I'll link the review below. My favorite of the bunch is the Kephart.

Lon Humphrey 3v Kephart
R8CMpUI.jpg

UQSeCdc.jpg

Lon Humphrey Bridger
19wUxn2.jpg

Fiddleback Forge Bullfrog Bowie
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fiddleback-forge-bullfrog-bowie-new-pics-added.1630974/

Anyone hear about karesuando knives? are they quality knives or just some fancy look blades?

The gap between custom and factory is not as wide as it once was. Too many custom makers out there. :p This is made from 115W8 which can best be described as Blue #1.5 steel. Carbon content of Blue #2 but the the tungsten content of Blue #1. 4 inches long .110 thick. IMG_0737.jpg

Great conversation and pics. Lon Humphrey makes a forged 3v Kephart that is pretty incredible, and his forged 52100 Bridger is no slouch either. I also recently reviewed a Fiddleback Forge Bullfrog Bowie; it did really well... I'll link the review below. My favorite of the bunch is the Kephart.

Lon Humphrey 3v Kephart
R8CMpUI.jpg
I like that Lon Humphrey Kephart. Really Nice! What's the blade length on it?

I like that Lon Humphrey Kephart. Really Nice! What's the blade length on it?
4.5” they are pretty hard to come by, but there are some still to be had... I know that KSF has one left. Lon said that he’s done forging/ grinding 3v; it was hard on his gear. They are phenomenal knives.

3V grinds fine. Forging is another matter. Bailey Bradshaw was he first guy that I knew who forged 3V and he said it was a PITA.
4.5” they are pretty hard to come by, but there are some still to be had... I know that KSF has one left. Lon said that he’s done forging/ grinding 3v; it was hard on his gear. They are phenomenal knives.

I looked immediately online at KSF.... yes, they have one left. Thought about it; need versus want and decided to keep my money. That doesn't change the fact that it's a beaut! I am tempted to go over to the shop and take a look at it if it hasn't sold as of yet. But I resist, because I KNOW that I would probably buy it if I visit the shop.

I looked immediately online at KSF.... yes, they have one left. Thought about it; need versus want and decided to keep my money. That doesn't change the fact that it's a beaut! I am tempted to go over to the shop and take a look at it if it hasn't sold as of yet. But I resist, because I KNOW that I would probably buy it if I visit the shop.
Not to tempt you further, but mine has been a total champ when camping—from fire prep to food prep... and it’s totally effortless on the belt. And it fits a Kabar short leather sheath if you’d like it to ride lower on the belt. It’s my favorite knife of its size, and one I’d never part with.

Lon makes a cool Kephart my only grip is the blade thickness on them wish they were alittle thinner.

I figured after making those 3V Kepharts he would go back to another steel that’s tough steel to forge.

Lon makes a cool Kephart my only grip is the blade thickness on them wish they were alittle thinner.

I figured after making those 3V Kepharts he would go back to another steel that’s tough steel to forge.

It’s definitly a little thick, but that hasn’t been a hinderance to me so far. My guess is that the next run of Kephart will be forged from 52100. The Bridgers are forged of 52100 and take/ hold a excellent edge. He’s finishing more of those now, and recently released a larger light camp knife—the Ranger. It’s pretty thin behind the edge but tough as hell. I’ll post a pic in a little bit.

Not to tempt you further, but mine has been a total champ when camping—from fire prep to food prep... and it’s totally effortless on the belt. And it fits a Kabar short leather sheath if you’d like it to ride lower on the belt. It’s my favorite knife of its size, and one I’d never part with.
It's tempting. I can be at KSF in 15 minutes to look at it....

How does your Lon Kephart hold a edge and ease of sharpening?

Great edge holding--used it all weekend camping a while back, stayed nearly as sharp as when I left home. As far as sharpening goes, I'v really only sharpened it once--I used DMT diamond stones + ceramic stone, and slightly changed the angle/ convexed it. Otherwise, the occasional honing/touch up on a ceramic (white) stone keeps it hair shaving sharp.

Here is the Ranger--it's got some use on it:

vHpcAez.jpg

5qCB4hB.jpg

4VINDon.jpg

Love this knife... and I also suggested the name to Lon. It's fairly light, fast, comfortable, and tough.

It's tempting. I can be at KSF in 15 minutes to look at it....

That's pretty cool... I wish I could. It's a funny thing about Kepharts... they are plain jane utilitarian in design and profile... but they just work--and do so exceptionally well.

Back