Best Car Camping Cookware?

Enamel ware will hold up fine to flames as long as you have some liquid inside of it. If it boils dry then it can warp and get wrecked. Dropping them or banging a spoon on an edge is also going to make them look like a dog that lost a fight with a cat.

I've seen these used in the fire before, there MSR Alpine stowaway stainless steel. From what I hear, you just put a little camp soap on the bottom before an open flame, and the black stuff comes right off. It seems to me that they were called Seagull, I dun' know, I'll have to take a look at mine.
msr_stowpot.jpg

I have a couple or three of these. Tough, but they have a bit of weight to them, if that is a concern.

I have a couple or three of these. Tough, but they have a bit of weight to them, if that is a concern.
I've got a small one, and I am always thinking about my weight. Rock solid to hold a MSR Pocket Rocket though

Will have to get one of these enamal coffee pots. Reminds me of the 60's... perc perc perc. That was before the current type of coffee makers hit the scene. I want to just watch one "make coffee". :D

Welcome to the forums, Preston Pope :thumbup:

The car camping cookware discussion is always worth a look, even more so here as springtime is around the corner. Although I didn't weigh in when this thread was originally circulating, I am happy to do so now. I use my backpacking pots which are aluminum and very, very old and well travelled even when car camping. However I add in the cast iron dutch oven and frypans and sometimes a grill when the vehicle can get them to the cook area. Aluminum is always handy for daytrips from main area. Some people are wary of aluminum but concerns don't trouble my enjoyment of the camp meal at all. I find both materials are easy to clean.

car camping means you can bring about anything you want. I like a combination of some cast iron and some old kitchen pans

For car camping? I used to take a couple copper pans and a butane stove to use at state, provincial, and national park campsites. A good cutting board and a set of knives gave me a traveling kitchen.

Really old thread.

But cookware is a valuable subject. So here is my input.

I have some ultralight stuff for backbacking some distance. Other than that it’s cast iron all the way.

Even heat, wipes out with a paper towel. As non stick as any Teflon junk that has passed through my hands.
FullSizeRender-XL.jpg

Makes a mean breakfast,
IMG_7199-XL.jpg

This was from scratch corned beef hash and Eggs,
IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

Not a bad breakfast for a 17F degree start. It was just below freezing when I sat down to eat.
IMG_2950.jpg

This shot sort of shows the cold,
IMG_2941.jpg

Last edited:
There is an old saying,
“If you ain’t Dutch, you ain’t much!”

When it comes to ovens and cooking. I find it to be pretty true.

Chicken on Thyme,
IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

This cooking stuff is thirsty work!
IMG_2874.jpg
-

Chicken, Carrots, Potatoes, and onions, with a hefty dose of Crushed Thyme.
How could this not be good? Especially when it starts to snow.
IMG_2875.jpg

Try this with your telon,
IMG_2876.jpg

Almost done. Better do a one more beer simmer,
IMG_2887-XL.jpg

Yeah, this looks about right,
IMG_2889.jpg

Sticking with the “Ain’t Dutch, Ain’t Much” theme.

Don’t go running off half baked!

Everybody thinks baking is so difficult.

Grab some bacon and toss it in the oven,
IMG_2551-XL.jpg

Anybody can cook bacon, (That dark spot middle right is a wood coal, get over it)
IMG_2553-XL.jpg

Remove bacon, leave some grease, preheat your cover, grab yeast rolls,
IMG_2554-XL.jpg

Put back over fire, and cover,
IMG_2559-XL.jpg

Man, this is really difficult!
IMG_2561-XL.jpg

Crap, I didn’t even burn the bottoms, this ain’t camping.
I got to get me one of those gas grill thingies so I don’t screw up so much!
IMG_2563-XL.jpg

If yeast rolls are above your pay grade, try baking powder biscuits.

But for Kephart’s sake. Do it from scratch. Don’t go all Bisquick on yourself.

Remember, mankind has been baking for thousands of hears. How tough can it be?
IMG_2469-XL.jpg

Don’t get all mixed up,
IMG_2475-XL.jpg

You knead to know this stuff,
IMG_2476-XL.jpg

Don’t “Pull Away”
IMG_2477-XL.jpg

It will all turn out fine,
IMG_2478-XL.jpg

A canning jar ring will work here too.
IMG_2479-XL.jpg

Make things round,
IMG_2481-XL.jpg

See next post!

Continued from above;

Did I mention Bacon?
IMG_2485-XL.jpg

You could probably use Pam here. But Pam and Eggs, just plain sucks.

Pour a little bacon grease into your prewarmed oven, add biscuits,
IMG_2482-XL.jpg

Cover and bake,

While you’re waiting,
Chop up that bacon and add some scrambled eggs,
IMG_2491-XL.jpg

If you like cheese add it. This was cheddar. I hate cast iron. Look at how much it sticks, this pan is ruined!
IMG_2493-XL.jpg

Done,
IMG_2488-XL.jpg

Let’s eat,
IMG_2494-XL.jpg

Hard to beat a wood fire with cast iron cooking away over it.

Last edited:
Damn now I want to do some camping with the wife. We did a trip to Unicoi State Park and the meals she made with her Dutch Oven were phenomenal.

I like state park camping in the winter. Having a bathroom is kind of nice. Sometimes there might even be a hot shower available. Loved Petit Jean SP in Arkansas in the winter.... if it was really cold you could always go into the bath house. Nobody there so we camped very close to the showers. Good memories.

At that time, there was electricity at all the camp sites and we didn't even take along things like lanterns. Just an extension cord and some lights to hang. It never occurred to us at the time, but we could have taken along an electric heater for the tent.

For car camping, do not overlook enamelware. Pot, cups, plates.

Question. I have never made coffee camping. Always boiled water and made tea. But, I was wondering if the enamel surface of these coffee pots hold up to direct contact with flames from a camp fire?
Yes , enamelware holds up to flames whether from gas or wood fire; however, with wood fires, cook as much as possible and feasible on coals vs. flames.

Last edited:
Can't add much. Yep a big cast iron pan and one of those Dutch things w a lid if you want to get fancy. Portable propane BBQ but that's not cook ware. Just wanted to add a funny observation and may be you car campers can relate. I've done a bit of motorcycle camping.. Similar. I've noticed an influx of cars into the campsite after hours. After the ranger has left for the night and they're early risers out before 7ish lol I think a few campers are not following the rules.

Can't add much. Yep a big cast iron pan and one of those Dutch things w a lid if you want to get fancy. Portable propane BBQ but that's not cook ware. Just wanted to add a funny observation and may be you car campers can relate. I've done a bit of motorcycle camping.. Similar. I've noticed an influx of cars into the campsite after hours. After the ranger has left for the night and they're early risers out before 7ish lol I think a few campers are not following the rules.
And probably not paying the fees which ends up just jacking up the price for honest folks.

Back