Best Case for Outdoors, hunting, and fishing?

I need recommendations. Which Case folder do you consider to be the best all around knife for outdoors, hunting, and fishing?

A do all that may be used to skin a deer as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I wouldn't use a folder for hunting or fishing, so my choice would be the Finn.

yeah i had to do a double take to see if he asked "Folder" or "knife"
but for folders, i doubt you could do better than a full sized trapper for the tasks he mentioned ...in cv of course :D

I think a medium or large Stockman would serve you well. The blade combo is great for just about everything you would do with a knife. I have used a large stockman to field dress a deer and it got the job done just fine. The trapper is also a good knife although if you would want two full length blades and a slightly larger knife.

Good luck on your quest for a knife!

Many would do the job well,but i would pick the 6265 folding hunter myself.You can do small stuff with a big knife,but it's harder to do big stuff with a small knife.

yeah i had to do a double take to see if he asked "Folder" or "knife"
but for folders, i doubt you could do better than a full sized trapper for the tasks he mentioned ...in cv of course :D

A full sized trapper or a Backpocket

What they said!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Going up in size the big (5 1/2") Case Folding Hunter like a 6265CV is also a good choice but tough for everyday carry (although I've done it in the past with a Schrade 25OT)

ETA:
Oops, I was typing while he posted...I agree with Seals too! :thumbup:

I think festerfromnzed is a good person to ask about this, i know he makes use of that big ol' folding hunter alot. And trappers...and quite a few other choices for alot of hunting/skinning/outdoor use
that being said, in my not nearly so proficient as Fes's opinion, once you start getting to a knife that large, a smaller fixed blade just makes more sense

*ps i KNOW festerfromnzed does a ton of hunting, i am sure there are others, i dont mean to slight anyone, i just dont know anyone that does as much*

Admittedly I don't hunt. Used to, but it's been years. I do fish though.

The thought of fish goo and animal guts caught down in the joints of a folding knife... ewww.

R SMITH...Thank you for the kudos!..yes i do hunt and fish more than most i suppose?...Given the OP,s query id agree that a folder is probably not the best answer to do all that is asked..But if a slipjoint is what you want a CASE Hunter is a great knife...I would team it up with a FINN as suggested and you pretty much have it all covered....FES

Boy gutting fish with a mini trapper

Great on birds the 6265

And not really an issue to me getting blood and guts in the joints ,i just wash it out like grandad would have done..FES

I would want one that would lock and have enough grip when working a big game animal - I'd go Case Hammerhead if I had to have a folder. OH

Proper knife handling, a sharp blade..... you don't need a locking knife. I would prefer one of the larger knives though.... at least on big game. I find that the Large Case Stockman (6375), Large Trapper, or a Sod Buster (not the Junior) work great for a hunting knife. One of the last few deer I've skinned, I did with a Sod Buster.

All that being said, a good fixed blade is just much easier to clean up and you don't have to clean out joints.

My question to the OP would be, Why just one knife? Why not have one for big game, case 65 pattern. One for small games, Case 54 or Muskrat. And of course a Stainless Fish Knife for the aquatic side of things? That is one reason why there are so many different patterns, specialization. If funding is the issue, go with Rough Riders.

I already have fixed blades I use for skinning and such, thats the reason I don't want another fixed. I'm building my case collection and only have smaller models at the moment. My biggest case is a medium Stockman. I'm looking for a tough all purpose outdoors blade. Yes I can have two. I always have my fixed blade and I'm looking for the tough pocket case to go with it.

I already have fixed blades I use for skinning and such, thats the reason I don't want another fixed. I'm building my case collection and only have smaller models at the moment. My biggest case is a medium Stockman. I'm looking for a tough all purpose outdoors blade. Yes I can have two. I always have my fixed blade and I'm looking for the tough pocket case to go with it.

The large Case Trapper in CV, or the Case folding Hunter. Can't go wrong with either.

My father was raised during the depression and I guess he got used to eating wild game. He rarely ate any other type of meat.
He killed deer each year along with turtles, squirrel, quail, and also kept a rabbit box in the woods behind our house. We also always had fish on hand as the river was just down the road, mainly catfish and sunfish. He always used a Trapper.

The Case Trapper has cleaned more deer than any other. Yes, even more than the Buck 110 since that is a much more recent knife.
The Deer here in the south were about wiped out durring the depression and the decade that followed, and the 110 was not around then. They brought deer up from the GA islands and some from Wisconsin. It took a long time, but by the early 80's deer were thriving again. I've also used a large Trapper on many deer, though I went to a fixed blade about 30 years ago.

My father had 9 brothers, and most all of them used Trappers too, and so did most others I knew of.

KEN 44....very interesting about the deer population there...They are a noxious pest here in NZ and we hunt them 365 days a year with no limits or fees....I used these tother day on a RED...The CASE hunter worked fine.....FES

Back