Best choice for a hard use all purpose survival knife?

That's a shame they said the SARGE couldn't be modified, although Will does make a good point about the company store blades already being made and shipped out to Skunk in Idaho. If you do think the SARGE is perfect otherwise, then maybe try emailing Garth directly for an answer regarding this modification. Worst case scenario, you could always have another trusted knife maker do the modifications if you're comfortable with it...

Based on my short time with my SARGE and the use I got from mine, I remain very impressed with it....I really think its that good.

Peter, based on your posts and love for the SAR series, I have a feeling you also would love the SARGE if you could somehow address the lack of jimping :) I really was blown away by its performance, since its weight (or lack of it) initially had me questioning its capabilities...all those doubts evaporated within minutes of my first session actually using the knife :thumbup:

I like this thread, BTW...glad you posted it taichifighter.

Peter, I was looking at some Basics and the only thing that threw me was the fact that the butt tang was covered. Is it not useful to be able to use the butt of the knife like a hammer? If this is a non issue and I was able to get me hands on a basic 6,7,8 or 9 are there any models I should avoid?

Will's answer shares my own views on pommel hammer strikes ... but I would add that I not only use the flat of the spine which I use for knocking in some small carpet tacks to hold my wet stone in place on a log for sharpening in the field ... but for tarp pegs which I usually carve from branches gathered for the fire, I knock these in with the side of the blade if the ground is hard as this has a greater surface area for the strike to hit ... usually though I just use my boot and press them in ...

It used to be frowned upon to use the side of a knife as a hammer ... in the past blades badly tempered could shatter ... but Infi with Busse's HT is way, way stronger than any of these knives and more than capable of knocking in a few tarp pegs using the side of the knife. Busse's side lateral flexing tests show the strength in the blades ... huge amounts of flex are possible. So for me this technique works fine but to be fair I hardly seem to need to hammer much ... sometimes if I am laying bird traps I will bash up a few pine cones for the seed inside as this is good bait for the birds ... and I may have cracked a few coconuts with the spine ... but that is it really off the top of my head.

One thing I will say about why not to use the pommel as a hammer strike ... missing a peg and bashing the heel of your hand ... if you miss with the spine or the side of the blade your hand is out of the way. For this reason I have never bought a Skookum Bush Tool Knife which makes a specific point of marketing this technique. Daft in my eyes when you have a perfectly better strike option using the flat of the blade. This sort of thing is really only needed on a fighting knife ... but even then a skull crusher point on the pommel can give your ribs and abdomen a right bashing if you fall and the sheath gets knocked back into your body.

So in my eyes the Basic 9 and Basic 7 are probably the two best models for your needs ... or a SAR8 ... but bear in mind what I said earlier and that is you are likely to be well served with any Busse blade in the 7 to 8 inch range. They are all good ... some just have better suitability than others ...

If you like the SARGE7 and it is close to ideal ... you could get a narrow coarse diamond stone and flatten that part of the spine where the jimping was and make a good strike edge for a fire steel and also you can use this for stripping pulp from nettle stems or Fir tree roots for string and cord.

The Basic's are getting harder and harder to find ... people who have them usually want to hang on to them ... but you can still see a few SAR8's being sold ... or you used to be able to.

Peter, taking everything into account the Basic 7 is probably the closest to what I need (I like the slightly shorter blade) and the Sarge7 is a close second. Too bad I missed out on a guy selling a Basic 7 with asymmetrical grind just a few days ago.

Peter, taking everything into account the Basic 7 is probably the closest to what I need (I like the slightly shorter blade) and the Sarge7 is a close second. Too bad I missed out on a guy selling a Basic 7 with asymmetrical grind just a few days ago.
You should have listened to me when I recommended a Basic 7 five pages ago. ;):D Seriously, there is a readily available alternative to the Basic 7, the SYKCO 711 - see http://www.scrapyardknives.com/knives.htm. It is made with SR-101 steel, so it is not as stainless as INFI. Also, I personally prefer the small choil on the Basic 7 instead of the larger one on the SYKCO 711, but I realize opinions vary on this. For $140 + shipping, the SYKCO 711 is a good value.

Gene

The Scrapyard and Swamp Rat stuff looks great but it's the Infi steel that got me interested in a Busse to begin with.

The Basic 6 looks like it might be a possibility at just under 7". Will mentioned that the Basic 7,9,11 have a larger handle that the 3 and 5. Does anyone know how the 6 fits in?

The Basic 6 was a later release ... it is Infi and not M-Infi which the old models are ... and it comes with the modern Res C grip which Scrapyard use ...

However, it has'nt got an ASM edge and an elf choil with 90 degree angles on the choil and spine ... the old model elf choil is just about a perfect guide for a fire steel ... they fit in there great and can be easily controlled to throw a good shower of sparks off the steel ... or you can use the back of the spine on the old model ...

There might have been some ASM edges on Basic 6 's but I never heard of any. As far as I know the only modern Basic in Infi with an ASM edge was the Basic 11 ...

Hopefully soon there will be released the Basic 8 ... again in Infi and it may be offered without a choil which would be interesting but if it comes with a choil it is likely to be the full sized one. The only issue then is whether they offer them with an ASM edge and with flat 90 degree angles.

If it was me I would try and hold out for an old model B7 if that is the size you want. The ASM edges are a real boon for performance and ease of sharpening ... plus all the other points made about angles and how these give added functionality to the knife ...

If having decided this is what you would like ... why not ask the custom shop if they have a blank they could do for you if waiting for one on the exchange is too uncertain ?

Peter thanks so much for your input. I would NEVER have gotten all that until it too late. I agree that the ASM is is something worth holding out for and I don't think that it's a coincidence that the early Emerson's (another field proven knife) also used an ASM edge.

OK taiChiFighter. I think an intervention is in order here.

Your decision making theory is based on finding the one 'perfect' Busse for your needs. I can assure you that is how we all found our way to this forum. The thought of a super high quality nuclear tough chunk of steel somehow resinates in the soul of a man. And just as soon as you've landed the blade you felt would most certainly be 'the one', another model comes out that seems to fit the bill ever better! Or, fits a niche you never considered in your elaborate planning.

The thing is, my friend... you have stumbled into a very dangerous and addictive habit. When the INFI bug bites it will lead you down a road you never expected. Next thing you know you'll be eating ramen noodles as you fondle your INFI... and smile. Don't ask me how I know. :D

My suggestion to you is to run. Run far and fast...

But I know you won't. It's too late for you. Might as well sit and have a nice cool glass of Kool-aid. It's very refreshing.

Purchase INFI at will... Ramen isn't so bad. Buy all you can! Stop overthinking! Your brain might try to fool you into being 'rational' and sticking to a 'budget' but following that course already made you miss on the Basic 7! :eek:

Don't think... just react!!!
:thumbup:

NO REGRETS!!!

Not sure if this knife has been mentioned but I think the Regulator/deregulator fits the bill for me. It's an ok chopper. Good fighter. Comfortable to hold and indestructable. It's one of the least expensive to buy. I know that can be a drawback. Check it out.

OK taiChiFighter. I think an intervention is in order here.

Your decision making theory is based on finding the one 'perfect' Busse for your needs. ... And just as soon as you've landed the blade you felt would most certainly be 'the one', another model comes out that seems to fit the bill ever better! Or, fits a niche you never considered in your elaborate planning.

The thing is, my friend... you have stumbled into a very dangerous and addictive habit. When the INFI bug bites it will lead you down a road you never expected. Next thing you know you'll be eating ramen noodles as you fondle your INFI... and smile. Don't ask me how I know. :D

My suggestion to you is to run. Run far and fast...

NO REGRETS!!!

I would ask "how do you know", except I already know the answer. :D

A Busse hog always knows how to justify the next knife; the trick is getting your spouse/significant other to understand your reasoning. There always seems to be a good reason to get "just one more". It's all part of the fun! :)

Gene

Purchase INFI at will... Ramen isn't so bad. Buy all you can! Stop overthinking! Your brain might try to fool you into being 'rational' and sticking to a 'budget' but following that course already made you miss on the Basic 7! :eek:

NO REGRETS!!!

It's bad enough that the universe mocks me with the knowledge that I missed getting a great knife at a great price by a hair. Please don't you do it too.:mad:
I just got through rationalizing to myself that the Basic 7 that would have been perfect sold 2 weeks before I learned that it was the way to go. In fact 2 weeks ago I didn't even know what Infi was. That makes it OK doesn't it? :D :confused: :eek: :( :sorrow:

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but have you thought about a DSF? They're fairly common and pretty much awesome.

Like Peter said, anything in the 7-8" range will get the job done. I'm just looking for some very specific qualities and it's take a while to prioritize my requirements.

Visa
Discover Card
Amex

apply for one of each, then buy everything recommended in this thread. Once you have them all, pick the one that you like the most... then keep them all

... I just got through rationalizing to myself that the Basic 7 that would have been perfect sold 2 weeks before I learned that it was the way to go. In fact 2 weeks ago I didn't even know what Infi was. ...
Don't worry about missing one - that is not the only Basic 7 around, and since it is new production I assume you could order one from the Custom Shop.

There are also 3 Steel Heart II's on the For Sale forum here, and they are fantastic knives.

Doing research is good (I always do it), but the final test is how it feels in YOUR hand when you use it and how well it does what YOU want it to do.

Gene

Don't worry about missing one - that is not the only Basic 7 around, and since it is new production I assume you could order one from the Custom Shop.

There are also 3 Steel Heart II's on the For Sale forum here, and they are fantastic knives.

Doing research is good (I always do it), but the final test is how it feels in YOUR hand when you use it and how well it does what YOU want it to do.

Gene

Truer words have never been spoken. No matter how much you think you will love a knife, ergonomics are a very personal thing. Some will fit your hand... some won't. Good thing about Busse is that you don't lose your shirt in the process. Buy one, use it and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, toss it back in the trough. Another hog will gladly take it.

Buy more...cut more... chop more. more fun!

Back