Best choice for a hard use all purpose survival knife?

Hey there WSB. Welcome to the forum, have you had a chance to compare a Becker BK7 against any of the knives listed in this 11 page thread?

I've decided on keeping one dedicated backpacking/hunting knife in the 5-6" range (SYKCO 511, RMD, Skinny ASH) and one ultimate camp/truck knife ( HHFSH, CG/FFBM, DF). I think having one of each of those two classes would serve just about every need, but if I had to grab just one and go inna' woods, I'd probably take the Skinny ASH.

Kowing that the knife is clean and does not have residue sap on it is the issue ... prepare food with any blade which has any dirt or sap on it and you will get the "runs" ... happens all the time in the military with guys using coated bayonets which are hard to tell if they are clean ... the old SLR bayonet was my learning curve on this ...

In the field I always use a satin finish for food prep when cooking and use boiled water to clean the blade ... doing a gralloch or skinning game and preparing it I am happy using a coated blade ... it is handling/cutting the food after it has been cooked that you need to be careful ... or using a knife on none cooked food like bread or fruit ... cooking will clear up the risk of a bit of dirt on a carcass ... but slicing meat off a cooked carcass or cutting cheese is where problems start ...

Becareful if you have a tool steel blade where people tell you to do a forced patina ... these can be as difficult to tell if the blade is clean as a coated blade ... I experimented with these and then found when cutting white cheese that the cheese was tainted by stains ... not worth the risk of a dodgy stomach in the field ... nothing is worse ...

A seperate food prep knife is the best arguement for carrying a second blade for "survival" purposes ... and the extra weight is usually very little if you make a sensible choice.

Hey Peter, after getting a Basic 7 (and reselling it) I finally settled on the TGLB. Unfortunately I had to send it back twice because of flaws. I have to say that Busse was very accommodating in trying to put it right and even sharpened the choil for me (for use with a firestone). Unfortunately, they got the coating wrong and sent me the knife in competition finish (when it should have been tanker grey). I liked the look of the bare steel so much I kept it but now I'm worried that the moisture under the handle scales might cause corrosion issues (the reason I ordered tanker grey in the first place). I know you suggested bare steel for ease of keeping clean. Any thoughts on the corrosion issue?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 34
If that knife was coated before you sent it in your most likely good to go, the coating may still be intact under there.

Even if its gone there's not much to worry about, INFI is very rust resistant.

Back