Best Combination Pen/PDA Stylus?

Best Combination Pen/PDA Stylus?

There are alot out there... Platinum, Lamy, Rotring. Anyone have one the love? hate? Recommend?

Thanks,

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

From what I have seen, the Fisher Bullet Deluxe looks promising. Haven't handled one yet, but from what I have read...it has potential.

I bought my Dad the Rotring Quatro and he loves it. I have the companion pen and pencil of the same design and they are nice. Heavy and write VERY well. This should be a good post CD!

David

------------------
David P. Sproles
Eagle Scout Class of 1988
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Prov. 27:17

I've got the Rotring Quattro and agree- it's a great pen. As memory serves, it came with a blue refill (I needed black which was available). Otherwise, it's standard with a yellow plastic/nylon stylus, orange highlighter/underliner (ballpoint) and a .5mm mechanical pencil with an eraser under the "clicker." Works very well. It replaced a Lamy Tri-Pen that I lost on a trip (also a good pen).

------------------
Regards,
Tim
Nor'east Knives
noreastknives@bigfoot.com

There are two rules for ultimate success in life.
Never tell everything you know.

[The other one is to please read the groundrules for the Auto forum at: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001211.html ]

I have a Rotring Quattro as well. I don't remember what the original 4 implements were, but I've mixed and matched it to: blue pen, stylus, highlighter, .5mm pencil. Note that some of the Rotrings come with .7mm pencil, which, picky pain in the butt that I am, I feel is way too thick. There was no Rotring with exactly what I wanted in it, but I was able to mixl-and-match to the above, which is perfect.

My only complaint about the pen might be that I'm unimpressed with the writing feel of the pen refills compared to, say, your run of the mill Cross refill. My sense is that all these multipens have the same lesser-quality writing feel, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Joe

How big are most of these pens?

Tim: So which do/did you like better: the Lamy or the Rotring?

Joe: Re: the less than smooth writing: I was concerned about that too. I wonder if the Fisher would be any better. The Fisher cartridges are not as smooth as some, but are smooth enough and have the advantage of writing at any angle. I certainly wouldn't want one any less smooth than a Fisher, especially if it didn't have the advantages of the Fisher.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

In my Rotring series 600 (similar barrel to the Quatro) I have inserted a Parker refill. I love fine blue point and they are excellent. I ak unsure if they will insert into the Quatro because of the limited diameter in the multi-pen.

(I am with you... .5mm pencils are my favorite by FAR... .7mm are way too think. Which lead do you use? 2B for me...nice and soft and dark!)

David

------------------
David P. Sproles

The Rotring Quattro is not that big. It's bigger around than, say, your standard Bic pen, but not by that much. I'm very picky about size and comfort, and am very happy with the Rotring. The only thing that's a bit of a disappointment, as I said, is the smoothness of the blue pen. It isn't horrible, but it's not expensive-pen-smooth. That has become less of an issue as I discovered that for pens, I absolutely love the Pilot .7mm P-700 Gel Ink pen. It's a cheap plastic pen you'll find hanging in a blister pack on the wall instead of behind a counter, but man, it feels great to use and the color is a vibrant easy-to-read blue. I use the Pilot for all pen writing, and the Rotring for everything else these days.

Sproles: 2B lead is the ticket!

Joe

I was unsatisfied with the Rotring cartridge in my Rotring 600 ballpoint, so I replaced it with a Parker. The next refill will be a Fisher. They make the Fisher pressurized refills to fit just about any ballpoint now, including the multifunction pens (which is probably not news to anyone here).

Paul

Thanks for the tip about other multipen refills being able to fit in the Rotring. Are you guys saying that multipen refills are basically interchangeable, or will I have to ask for the Fischer refill that specifically is made for Rotring?

thanks again, this should make my pen perfect!

Joe

Well, I just took a trip to Office Depot to handle some of the ones they have -- Yafa, Rotring, and Pilot were all they had. Didn't care for the feel of the Rotring. Nice pen, just not for me. Bought a nice bright red Yafa for my fiance (who is inheriting my Palm V as I just got a Workpad 3C with 8MB). Here is a pic of the Yafa:

styluscentralcom_1626_401466

It is a nice pen as well, but not for me. I guess I am trying to decide between this Lamy:

styluscentralcom_1626_1262506

Info

And this Fisher:

styluscentralcom_1626_1316771

Info

The Lamy I like the looks of, but I do love my Fisher Astronaut pen. The Lamy has 5mm Pencil and the Fisher has 7mm. Hmmmm....

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

[This message has been edited by CD Fleischer (edited 05-10-2001).]

Well, I went with the Lamy in stainless (engraved of course, to prevent would-be thieves). BUT, I also got a smaller, weekend stylus/pen after playing with one at Franklin Covey yesterday. It is a nice small pen that feels much larger in the hand than in the pocket. It is the Retro51 Data Pen and is just over 4 inches. I have one of their larger pens and it is great as well.

Thanks for the input, guys!

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

The stainless Lamy is definitely the most handsome of the group, to my eyes. How do you like the quality of the pen, its smoothness, etc.?

Almost any retractable pen can be used as a stylus (when the pen is retracted, of course!) For example, I'm currently carrying a Pilot G-2, and when I want to use my PDA, I just don't extend the pen.
I cover the screen of my PDA with the Fellowes protective plastic sheets--you change sheets every month or three. If you do that, a used-up ballpoint pen makes a wonderful stylus, nicer than anything else I've ever tried. Of course, you'd want it to be completely dry, and you'd never want to touch it to the bare screen.

Alright--I know that this was originally started as a stylus/pen combo, but I ordered one of the new Fisher Telescoping pens for a friend of mine and it came in today. WOW is it cool. It is about the size of their Space Bullet, but it is one handed action. I bough tit from Penwa Gifts on-line for $20.00 plus shipping. If you go to eBay and look up past auctions you will find one of theirs that had this pen on it. If you went to their regular website, they are "on sale" for @28 and regularly for 35, but if you link to their site via the past aucion it is only $20!

Anyway, it closes up like a clic stick, but it also shrinks in length when you close it. Hard to explain, but VERY cool. Here's the URL:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=588051107

Just FYI!

David

------------------
David P. Sproles

You don't want me to have any money, do you, David?
wink.gif
Thanks for the tip!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

[This message has been edited by CD Fleischer (edited 05-13-2001).]

I am SO glad that I can help... Hey, they way I figure...if I am going to "suffer" I ought to make you guys do the same!
smile.gif

David

------------------
David P. Sproles

Back