Best custom tactical knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks James
confused.gif
. As usual, you are correct if we stuck to religion and politics we may not run as many knife people away
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"Life is too short to carry an ugly knife." Steve F.

Tim,

For the Fouth time put or shut up. As I stated before, you can buy the knives from me and sell them to your good customers. I don't want your clients names or address, never asked for them.

As for your designs and abilities, exactly how many different magazines were you in last year? Ok thats probably not fair, how many in the last 3 years. I mean articles where you are the primary focus of the article, not just a photo somewhere in a magazine or a knife annual.

It seems here lately that most of your influence is coming from Wolfgang Loechner out of Canada. As, with you, he is an excellent knife maker. Unlike you he seems to find his way into magazines on a regular basis.

By the way Tim, I have been asked by the Canadian Knifemakers Guild to come to their show in April and judge the knives and present the appropriate awards. This will include every single knife in the show, all different styles and categories. I think your Knife God and Master Designer comments are getting out there into the public. Again I thank you for your continued support.

Versatility is the key here Tim. If you have not seen a design of mine that you like, that is fine, each of us have our own taste. However, I can design a knife for you, that the knife buying public will enjoy.

Tim you are a gifted artisian, try not to be of such a narrow focus and try and "enhance your calm".

Les

Anthony,

You are correct, I should look at his work.

I am particularly interested in the integral knife you mentioned. I have an idea, but I really don't want to discuss design here as Tim already seems quite miffed! LOL

Could you email me his name and phone number.

Thanks,

Les

Jerry's pic certainly brightened up this topic! As always, NICE KNIFE Jerry!
I'm hoping this will do the same.......
HawkBCR.jpg

Rifleer1's original questions was what is the best tactical knife. I think that my Hawkbill, in the neck knife size range would be tough to beat. It's D2 at Rc58! With G10 handles and a Kydex neck sheath it's priced at $165. Lots of bang for the buck or devistation for dinero!
smile.gif

Neil

------------------
LiteWaves and Hawkbills in stock!
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Meeting/5520/index.html

Very nice, Neil. I think we need some brightness on this thread. It seems to have wandered off the topic some.

But that sure is a nice looking knife, and is certainly a lot of bang for the buck.

Congratulations,

------------------
Jerry Hossom
knifemaker
www.hossom.com

Sorry to fan the flames but...(famous last words) since when was the amount of magazine coverage any maker gets a sign of success or ability?

I do not recall having seen Buster Warenski, Ron Lake, Michael Walker, or Ray Appleton the subject of too many big articles as of late but does this mean that they are unsuccessful? Conversely, I have seen a great deal of print regarding Ernest Emerson, who we all know is one of Les' favorite makers.

This means one of two things, either success and respect as a maker is independent of magazine coverage or Les' opinion of Ernests work should be taken with a grain of salt. either way, we should all remember to take someones opinions for what they are, one persons opinion, no matter how knowledgable that person may or may not be.

taken with a grain of salt,
Derek

Hi Derek,

Careful your sarcasm is showing! <G>

Actually Derek, Buster Warinski can be found in every issue of Blade Magazine, discussing the Knifemakers Guild.

As for Ron and Michael, they have both been featured in Knives Illustrated in the last 18 months.

As for my buddy Ernie his exposure is directly due to the check he writes to Krause Publications. Note the full page ad in each issue. Also, American Handgunner gets a full page ad every issue. I believe that KI has the same ad.

Like it or not every industry with a publication works this way. You support me, I support you. This is more than a fair exchange for both sides and in the long run helps both.

Derek, my issue with Emerson is not the quality of his knives. I take issue with his business practice(s). Judging by the Emerson Fourm, others are starting to do so as well.

Derek, your points are valid. However, your comments Im sure stem from the ongoing dialogue I am having with Mr. Herman.

Unlike most of the members of this forum, my profession is the buying and selling, and on occasion the designing of custom knives. This is a fact. As is, that because of this fact, I have to know what the market has done, is doing and will do. If I do not or cannot grasp these situations, I will have to find gainful employment elsewhere.

Buying and selling is only what appears to be going on, on the surface. The buying and selling the maker does is much like an iceberg. That is to say, you do not see the majority of it. I like most of the full time custom knife dealers. Spend countless hours talking about custom knives, with Magazine Editors, Customers, other dealers, Makers and suppliers. Additionally, I will look at, handle, buy and sell more custom knives in a year than most of the members of this site will do in their lifetime. Not because I am superior to any of you, but because it is what I do!

Consequently, I am privy to information, design ideas, new knives, gossip and other information that will impact custom knives today. Not 3-8 months down the road, such is the information you receive from the various knife publications.

Additionally, with the globalization of custom knives provided in large part by the internet. Trends, wants and desires are being influenced by forces outside the US more than at any other time. One look at the membership list of Probationary and Voting members of the US Knifemakers Guild will bear this out. The past few years have seen a prolifiration of makers from outside the US "coming to America".

Along with their knives these makers bring new materials, construction techniques and design concepts to share and exchange with US makers.

Part of my job is keep track of all this, so when someone calls me or writes in a forum such as this, I am thinking of buying my first custom knife what do you thins of "so and so". My job is to provide this potential client with as much up to date information on makers, materials, designs, investment potential and aftermarket consequences of his /her purchase.

This consistent exposure to all aspects of custom knives, world wide, gives me a unique insight that most cannot attain. Due directly to the fact that unlike most of you, I live, eat and sleep custom knives. This insight contributes, in large part as to why most of you who read the knife magazines see my name pop up several times a year in different publications. This does not happen by accident, nor is it luck. It comes from 15 years of hard work in custom knives.

I make no claims of being an expert on all areas of custom knives (as Mr. Herman seems to think I am). However, if there was such a game as custom knife Jeopardy, I would probably do ok.

Derek, I to think it is a shame that there are members of this forum who do not know who some of these world class knife makers that you have listed are. However, it is not incumbent upon the customer to seek these makers out. These makers must stay current, continue to show versatility, offer a knife in the price range of the average collector/user and perhaps most importantly no longer rest on their numerous laurels.

We all know that fame is fleeting and the mantra of this new Millenium will continue to be "what have you done for me lately".

Oh well, nothing better to do than to toss in my opinion here. Magazine coverage does not automatically mean a knife is better, or worth more than one that is not covered. Magazines simply like to kiss the advertisers back side. I have seen Blade and Tactical knives both talk about the "great knives" from United Cutlery. I saw TK and the now gone Fighting Knives praise the Schrade Cliphanger. So reporting the "truth" is not always the magazines goal. It doesnt matter if a knife is really good, the magazines dont seem to care either. The more you spend on advertising, the better they will say your knives are, facts not withstanding. The fact that Tim is not featured every month in big articles is probably because he doesnt advertise, probably doesnt need to all that much either. Im sure if he put big full page ads in all the time, then they would do big stories on him.

There are of course exceptions to the rule, but the above is how I see it.

Richard

First of all, I would like to compliment Mr. Hossom and Mr. Blackwood on their knives. Beautiful.
Second, I don't judge a maker solely on the quality and appearance of his knives. I believe that attitude and personality count as well. It's all part of the total experience. Having said that, I've not been terribly impressed with Mr. Herman. His knives ARE impressive, however, in the posts that I have read, he has been deliberately rude and insulting. He may have legitimate grievances, I don't know, but it's one thing to calmy and politely make your point and another to make personal attacks...

Guys,
Enough with the hidden messages. To quote an under-rated maker to whom I am currently dealing with, "A maker is only as good as the last knife that left his shop". I hope you all have the honor of dealing with a custom maker that is just as determined to make the current customer as satisfied as those who came before you. If not, my condolences.

Richard,

i agree with you totally. les seems to think magazine appearance is everything and not the makers work or reputation. such narrow mindeness has always amazed me. the main reason that i am not in the magazines much recently is because they all seem to be on the "tactical" bandwagon and that simply isn't what i make. also because of this i rarely send photos to the magazines in the past few years. i have always got good coverage in magazines whether i advertised or not. i have even written a few articles for Bud Lang and Knives Illustrated. but you are right about the advertisers getting better coverage because of there advertising dollars, a sad fact of life IMHO.

Knave,

i am not out to impress you or anybody else! when i first came to the forums here, les attacked me and my work as overpriced and that "herman has HAD his time" and the man had never even met me before or talked to me.
he continually blows his own horn with the attitude that whatever he says is the gospel, such as being invited to the Canadian Guild show this coming april to judge knives for awards. how much you want to bet his favorite tactical makers that he deals with gets awards?? so he can continue to make money off of them. well, les i hate to stoop again to your level but 5 years ago the Canadian Guild President Wolfe Loerchner invited me to their second show as a guest and i won the first ever Best Folder of Show from Knives Illustrated at that show. it was their first time for awards there and i declined to be in the competition because i was their guest and i don't even like competing for awards anymore, but the makers there insisted i had the best folder of the show. not bad for an overpriced has been eh? so, knave, sorry you are unimpressed but maybe you should look to the source of my being so defensive when les is around. i never even heard of him til he attacked me here when i first arrived on the forums.

les,

you continually blow your horn in insecurity for all the world to see. I know my accomplishments in the knife world and I know the awards and magazine coverage and covers i have gotten and thats all thats important to me
smile.gif
i hated to even mention the Canadian show award above because i think it is petty but that seems to be all you understand. pat yourself on the back some more les
smile.gif
just don't get your shoulder too out of joint.

to all,

i am finished with this thread and with les. it is too bad the kife business no longer looks at the quality and design of makers work but how much he spends in advertising and who's butt he kisses and what trends he follows. i have never been very good at either butt kissing or following fads, i still think my work should speak for itself.

tim

Hey everybody!! Wow, can't we all just get along?
biggrin.gif
Everybody is invited to my house for beer and knife talk!!

Jerry, your knives FREAK me out EVERY time I see them. Makes me want my knife even sooner!!
Doc Lathe, your hawkbill sure is SWEET!
Sniperboy(or should I say, SniperMAN?) my wifeypoo is doing alright! She's due in July, so I need ideas as to what knife I should buy for my new baby!

Don't forget everyone...beers at my place!

Tim,

Tim I know that you attend shows in Canada and would therefore be familiar with the Canadian Knifemakers Guild. This is why I used the Guild and their show as a frame of reference for you. This was not intended to "drag you down to my level". You can be so "dramatic"!

Being invited by the Canadian Guild to judge the knives and present awards is one of the highlights, for me personally, of my time in custom knives.

Tim like it or not, it is important to keep your name out there. It is not "blowing your horn and showing insecurity", it is called marketing. When I was in Graduate School, they really emphasized three things:

1) Location, Location and Location
2) Positive Cash Flow
3) Marketing

Markeing tells people about your Location, Location, Location and the product you sell. Which in turn provides the capital to pay your salary, utilites and among other things, the rent on that Location, Location, Location! As you can see it is all interconnected.

How do you market yourself and your knives, you ask. You do this by advertising, attending shows and being written about in industry magazines.

Tim, I think that much of what you write is out of frustration. That although you possess what you and others feel are world class skills, you are not as popular as you once were.

Perhaps if you were to step back and look at todays market, you could adjust how you conduct your business.

Afterall it will be almost impossible to build the autos that you want to make with the designs your currently using. Here is a hint, get rid of the all pin construction.
Also, the Wharncliffe style blade is probably not your best bet for your fist auto. That blade style was more popular about 18 months ago. This blade shape is also partly responsible for the slow sales of the Silver.
It's best to leave the stylized stainless steel knife to Wolfgang.

Tim, the answer to your magazine article question is 0.

Well Tim, I look forward to not hearing from you again.

Les

[This message has been edited by Les Robertson (edited 02-02-2000).]

Hey MrG,
Great idea. It's a big, big knife world out there. Everyone's tastes are different. I don't feel we need to criticize each other's work or choices. Variety is the spice of life. Now you don't plan on serving "Olde Style" do you
frown.gif
? Oops, that slipped
biggrin.gif
!

Les
The reason you were invited to the Canadian show is because they are trying to entice more dealers to come to the show. You were the obvouls choice- You're not invited to add any prestigue to the show as much as you might think otherwise.
It's cute your suggestion to Tim to use screws on his knives. If he bead blasted them too they'd fit right in with the fine art pieced that you peddle. ;-)
Thanks for the chuckle Les.

OK guys, I'm locking this one down! (aw hell, I forgot, I'm not the moderator!)
wink.gif

Neil, every time I see that pic I get confused and dizzy! That is one cool design! And Jerry, great work! I've been a closet fan of your ever since joining BF. I will definately have to get one soon!
Paul

Mr. Hossom,

Beautiful fighter! I do have a few questions about it:

1) How much?
2) What finishes are available for it?
3) How long is the wait for one?

Thanks,

Adrian

------------------
"No matter how deadly you may be, you must contain your art within the sphere of good motives against a background of peaceful intentions."
G.M. Ramiro U. Estalilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back