Best Day Ever.....Lost Knife Found

Garth Reckner

Back in the spring I was out in the woods and lost my Rat Trap folder in the swamp. Most of our 40 acres is under 12"-18" of water this time of year. I was just out checking stands, looking for spring deer trails and setting some cameras. Somewhere along the way I lost my Rat Trap. I spent days searching for it. Retraced all my steps, recruited friends and family, borrowed a very high tech metal detector, and even offered a $500 reward for anyone that found my knife.

That knife had been in my pocket everyday for the better part of 15 years. I couldn't believe that I lost it. Walking even felt off without it in my pocket.

Well, fast forward to last weekend. It is that time of year to be checking trail cameras every few days. I took advantage of a nice day and headed out to the woods. Much of the flooded swamps have gone down now so it makes it a bit easier to get through the woods.

I look down next to the trail that was underwater this spring and what do you know:
i-7vZzP94-L.jpg

I can't believe I even saw it. I had pretty much written it off at this point. I was so happy that I called my wife. I don't think she cared nearly as much as I did. Anyway I was stoked and I gotta tell you that after being submersed in swamp water for the better part of 5 months it was in great shape.
i-GFZQhVC-L.jpg

Aside from some minor surface oxidation and needing a good cleaning it was fine. Took it home and cleaned it all out. She works great. Little bit of a touch up with a scotch wheel and she is good as new. I did bend the pocket clip down a bit as I am pretty sure it was just loose enough to slip up and out of my pocket while climbing over a log in the swamp. Now it is nice and tight and it won't be slipping out again.

I am sure you guys don't care near as much as I do but wanted to share the good news and show you what happens when you soak something in a swamp for 5 months.

Garth

CONGRATS MAN! That's a helluva stroke of luck. Glad you found your EDC. We care; none of us ever want to lose a sweet blade.

Glad you found it Garth man your lucky there, I lost mine in 40ft of Mississippi river water. I know what you mean about carrying a knife for that long it hurts like losing your old friend. I'm glad it worked out for you, now all you need is that big Buck to walk by on your morning hunt. Have a good one and be safe out there.

Garth,

Simply an amazing story, THANK YOU for sharing! It's not the knife that counts, it's all the times that you remember using it for all sorts of stuff for so many different memories. You could get another Rat Trap, but you won't find another with all those memories and honest wear marks. The fact that you were willing to offer $500 in reward says it all, as I don't believe even those knives go for that much if you were to buy another to replace it.

This story reminds me of when I was out hunting in MI with my father in law (RIP) years ago, he dropped a bright yellow GPS unit in the leaf litter while out on public land up in the thumb of MI. He swore he was going to find it because he knew about where he dropped it, I of course had ZERO expectation we'd ever see it under all the leaf litter (It was HEAVY). We gave up after a couple hours once the sun had set for the evening, I learned a lesson that day about securing important kit while out in the woods.

Awesome rediscovery!!
It always hurts to lose something that's close to you... No matter the monetary value. The comfort and security of having it with you is irreplaceable. I'm glad you found it!!

Congrats !!!!!!! That’s great news !!!

My woods still have the Park Ranger my brother dropped two years ago. I hope to come across it one day. We searched quite some time for that thing to no avail.

I know exactly the feeling. I have been there and searched for hours upon hours past when all hope is gone and all others have called it.

That is amazing! I’m very happy for you.

Back