Best EDC Cargo pants/shorts?

I recently thought about removing weight from what i normally carry but then consider maybe there are better weighs ;) of carrying EDC items like knifes,tools,flashlights,etc

Anyone have suggestions? I haven't started looking for shorts yet.

I did some amazon research and found these 2 at the top of my list
5.11 tac lite pro - good amount of separate pockets, knee pad option, and the back pocket design looks like the first usable design so you don't have to take everything out when you sit down
Link removed, read the site rules.

Carhartt cargo ripstop
2nd choice - less pockets, unusable back pocket, but i like the straight cut on part of the front pockets
Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall, bioenergetic studies indicate that strapping a load to your legs is one of the most inefficient ways to carry. Consider a shoulder holster, a Chesty Puller chest rig, or a belly band.

I’m digging dickies 5 pocket pants. Super comfy with a slim pocket on the right leg.

prAna - for comforts like cut-fit, flexibility with durability, water repelling with breathability, etc. Have yet to find a close second.

You might get more responses by moving this to community.

I mostly wear 5.11 taclite pros or true specs (can't remember the exact name) for cargo pants. They have plenty of pockets, are durable, and reasonably priced. One of the best things is that both models within each of these brands are basically the same no matter shorts or pants. This means you can have the same edc setup whether pants or shorts (your stuff is in the same place). If you carry a bunch of stuff, the consistency is important.

I've long worn convertible cargo pants w/zip off lower pant legs to make shorts out of them. Use to buy ones made by REI but they changed/discontinued the ones I liked.

I currently wear Columbia Silver Ridge convertible pants that are sold by REI and others but that can be hard to find in the right sizes. Not sure if this means that they are being discontinued too or if different vendors just don't stock the full array of sizes/colors or not.

You can find Columbia's description of the pants here. Just do Google search to find out where they're available.

Last edited:
The $50.00 dollar 511's is basically all I wear for work and casually going out, the $75.00 or $80.00 ones aren't worth it and tear up faster
Otherwise I wear board shorts because they have a cargo pocket for my Spydie Salts and pants suck no matter how much they're required for work

I like Triple Aught Design Recon shorts. They are very comfy and offer a nice fit.

prAna - for comforts like cut-fit, flexibility with durability, water repelling with breathability, etc. Have yet to find a close second.

+1 the Zion Pants and Shorts come in half dozen colors always on sale somewhere on-line, and in-stock in-store @ REI type chains and independent adventure outdoor stores if you need to try on.

+1 the Zion Pants and Shorts come in half dozen colors always on sale somewhere on-line, and in-stock in-store @ REI type chains and independent adventure outdoor stores if you need to try on.
"Born From The Experience" :)

I wear 5.11 Taclite Shorts and Pants 90% of the time. The pocket system works great for me. My IPhone 6S fits perfectly in the flapped pocked on the left. The open pocket on the right leg is where my Spyderco Military goes. I like the 9" shorts, not a fan of the longer 11" ones. Mine have held up well through hiking and other outdoor activities.

Duluth Trading. Very comfortable. Fire hose cloth. Last forever.--KV
THIS.
Seriously... I've been through quite a few brands, including 5.11. DLT is what I will be wearing from now til the end. Front pockets are nice and deep... makes for front pocket CCW quite easily. You'd be surprised what you can fit there. I even have a couple of pairs of their SWEATPANTS that not only have deep front pockets, but also cargo pockets and a zipper fly! Nothing else like that on the market.

THIS.
Seriously... I've been through quite a few brands, including 5.11. DLT is what I will be wearing from now til the end. Front pockets are nice and deep... makes for front pocket CCW quite easily. You'd be surprised what you can fit there. I even have a couple of pairs of their SWEATPANTS that not only have deep front pockets, but also cargo pockets and a zipper fly! Nothing else like that on the market.
Don't forget the crotch gusset! :)--KV

Dirt cheap for what you get but order them big, their sizes all seem a bit off.. And at this price you can order a pair just to test out.. Like these better than my 5.11s at 1/4 the price. Prefer Dickies over them but they are too thick for summer wear..

https://lapolicegear.com/apparel-footwear/pants.html

Not sure if the link is allowed but lapolicegear is the only place I've found these so I'm thinking it's more of a manufacturers link than a store link. Mods take out if you think I'm wrong.

I bought some "guide gear" cargo pants on Amazon, I like them better than the 511's I've been wearing for years and their a bit cheaper at $30

Back