1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best EDC Cargo pants/shorts?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by jp9mm, Apr 26, 2019.

1. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    I recently thought about removing weight from what i normally carry but then consider maybe there are better weighs ;) of carrying EDC items like knifes,tools,flashlights,etc

Anyone have suggestions? I haven't started looking for shorts yet.

I did some amazon research and found these 2 at the top of my list
    5.11 tac lite pro - good amount of separate pockets, knee pad option, and the back pocket design looks like the first usable design so you don't have to take everything out when you sit down
    Link removed, read the site rules.

Carhartt cargo ripstop
    2nd choice - less pockets, unusable back pocket, but i like the straight cut on part of the front pockets
    Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  2. bobe01

bobe01 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Fjallraven is my favorite brand for this type of pants. They are bit expensive, tho.

jp9mm likes this.
  3. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    As I recall, bioenergetic studies indicate that strapping a load to your legs is one of the most inefficient ways to carry. Consider a shoulder holster, a Chesty Puller chest rig, or a belly band.

jp9mm likes this.
  4. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    I’m digging dickies 5 pocket pants. Super comfy with a slim pocket on the right leg.

jp9mm likes this.
  5. Phixt

Phixt

May 28, 2016
    prAna - for comforts like cut-fit, flexibility with durability, water repelling with breathability, etc. Have yet to find a close second.

You might get more responses by moving this to community.

jp9mm likes this.
  6. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I mostly wear 5.11 taclite pros or true specs (can't remember the exact name) for cargo pants. They have plenty of pockets, are durable, and reasonably priced. One of the best things is that both models within each of these brands are basically the same no matter shorts or pants. This means you can have the same edc setup whether pants or shorts (your stuff is in the same place). If you carry a bunch of stuff, the consistency is important.

jp9mm likes this.
  7. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I've long worn convertible cargo pants w/zip off lower pant legs to make shorts out of them. Use to buy ones made by REI but they changed/discontinued the ones I liked.

I currently wear Columbia Silver Ridge convertible pants that are sold by REI and others but that can be hard to find in the right sizes. Not sure if this means that they are being discontinued too or if different vendors just don't stock the full array of sizes/colors or not.

You can find Columbia's description of the pants here. Just do Google search to find out where they're available.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    jp9mm likes this.
  8. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Kitanica.net pricey but topshelf. More pockets than you can imagine

jp9mm likes this.
  9. SOLEIL

SOLEIL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Wrangler Riggs work pants. < $50 with pocket made just for folding knife EDC.

jp9mm and Psy223 like this.
  10. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    The $50.00 dollar 511's is basically all I wear for work and casually going out, the $75.00 or $80.00 ones aren't worth it and tear up faster
    Otherwise I wear board shorts because they have a cargo pocket for my Spydie Salts and pants suck no matter how much they're required for work

jp9mm likes this.
  11. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Duluth Trading. Very comfortable. Fire hose cloth. Last forever.--KV

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  12. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    Wrangler hikers inexpensive and great EDC shorts

jp9mm likes this.
  13. domiro

domiro

Sep 10, 2018
    I like Triple Aught Design Recon shorts. They are very comfy and offer a nice fit.

14. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    +1 the Zion Pants and Shorts come in half dozen colors always on sale somewhere on-line, and in-stock in-store @ REI type chains and independent adventure outdoor stores if you need to try on.

Phixt likes this.
  15. Phixt

Phixt

May 28, 2016
    "Born From The Experience" :)

16. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    I wear 5.11 Taclite Shorts and Pants 90% of the time. The pocket system works great for me. My IPhone 6S fits perfectly in the flapped pocked on the left. The open pocket on the right leg is where my Spyderco Military goes. I like the 9" shorts, not a fan of the longer 11" ones. Mine have held up well through hiking and other outdoor activities.

17. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    THIS.
    Seriously... I've been through quite a few brands, including 5.11. DLT is what I will be wearing from now til the end. Front pockets are nice and deep... makes for front pocket CCW quite easily. You'd be surprised what you can fit there. I even have a couple of pairs of their SWEATPANTS that not only have deep front pockets, but also cargo pockets and a zipper fly! Nothing else like that on the market.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  18. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Don't forget the crotch gusset! :)--KV

19. OilMan

OilMan Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    Dirt cheap for what you get but order them big, their sizes all seem a bit off.. And at this price you can order a pair just to test out.. Like these better than my 5.11s at 1/4 the price. Prefer Dickies over them but they are too thick for summer wear..

https://lapolicegear.com/apparel-footwear/pants.html

Not sure if the link is allowed but lapolicegear is the only place I've found these so I'm thinking it's more of a manufacturers link than a store link. Mods take out if you think I'm wrong.

20. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I bought some "guide gear" cargo pants on Amazon, I like them better than the 511's I've been wearing for years and their a bit cheaper at $30