Best EDC Multi-Tool

Dear Bladeforums,
After buying the Charge Ti for use as a EDC, I have come to the realization that I am in need of a slightly lighter/smaller edc. The LM Juice line looked good especially the S2. I only need the basics: Knife, screwdrives, scissors, and can/bottle opener. The can/bottle opener on the line looks very similar to disposable openeres I see in surpluss mags. I was just wondering if anyone has one, what they think, what is a good reccommendation, and most importantly, if someone has really put a beating onto one of the Juice tools. It is only a edc, yet I would still like to use it to the fullest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Billbeme :confused:

I own the S2 and have found it useful. However, it is definitely a compromise design. It provides a little bit less leverage than the larger tools and it is not as strongly built. You can feel the greater flex when using it hard. I have never pushed mine too far, but I'm pretty sure I could bend it if I really bore down.

On the plus side, the S2 offers excellent versatility in a package significantly smaller and lighter than a typical multi-tool. On the minus side, it can't apply as much force as a full-sized tool.

If you want the toughest possible smaller tool, look at the tiny SOG CrossGrip (at the cost of some features) or the larger Victorinox Spirit (which is still smaller than most full-sized tools). As long as you can live with a slightly lighter-use tool the S2 is an excellent choice.

--Bob Q

Billbeme said:
I only need the basics: Knife, screwdrives, scissors, and can/bottle opener.
if you don't need the pliers, just buy a SAK (Victorinox or Wenger), they're cheaper, and they're really good!

My apologizes gentleman, I forgot to list pliars among the necessary urilities. I have come to a point where I needed to grab/pinch/hold someting too many times to carry a SAK, or a pocket knife without pliars. I restate my question counting pliars as a necessity as well.

would this one fill the bill?
the Mechanic:
mechanic.jpg

pliers with wire cutter, and crimper on it. I really like these pliers, when I need heavier job, I use my Swisstool. give them a try, they're worth it, especially if you only grab, hold or pinch stuff. don't underestimate them, they're really solid!

You may need to try a couple tools to see which fills the bill for you. You could end up with a SAK for most of your tasks, and a larger tool for the rest. The interesting thing about SAKs and multi's is that everyone finds their own ideal tool (or mix of tools). Good Luck ;)

There may be some old style Leatherman Waves around, at a reduced price, if you can still find them. I was able to find them for $55 just around the time that the new style Wave came out. The old style Wave is only .4 ounces lighter than the Charge Ti, so that much may not make enough of a difference.

I should've just stayed out of this thread as I routinely carry a Buck 110 and an old style Wave on my belt as nextdoor neighbors. ;)

GeoThorn

I have to second the LM Fuse.
It's not too big, not too small, & has everything I "need" at work. I use the LM nylon sheath which, IMHO, makes it way easier to carry.

I have heavier/bigger multitools and lighter/smaller ones, but the one that I carry EDC is the Spirit. For me, it is the best of both worlds.

S.

I love Leatherman's Juice line of multitools. They seem somewhat less threatening than traditional multitools. I have both the XE6 and S2 and find them both very useful and small enough to slip in a pocket out of site. For an office setting this is the way to go. But, as it was mentioned before, Juices will in no way effectively replace a Wave or a Charge so if you're planning on doing some heavy-duty squeezing and cutting I'd suggest you get a Wave, a Charge, or wait until September when the new Surge comes out. It'll be a monster but worth the wait.

heathah said:
I love Leatherman's Juice line of multitools. They seem somewhat less threatening than traditional multitools...

This is a new topic to me, since I have openly carried a "traditional" Leatherman Supertool 8 years just about anywhere and have never encountered an instance where it was considered a threat (airlines and some government buildings excepted, where it was treated same as SAK Classic or LM Micra). Either I have been oblivious to mutterings around me or hang out where folks are more tolerant than average. Do others here believe they have to be concerned with the PC of their multitools?

znapschatz said:
Do others here believe they have to be concerned with the PC of their multitools?

In the post 9/11 era, we all have to worry about things like that. It's an unfortunate fact of life called "legal liability." If you carry a knife openly, you may be consideredly more likely to cause a disturbance, such as injuring someone.

In business that's bad news. Companies are forced by their insurance companies to protect themselves from the huge sums that can be recommended by sympathetic juries on guilty verdicts. Companies may prohibit employees from carrying "weapons."

Such items are not defined. If they prohibited blades of two inches, someone would carry a knife with a one inch blade. Hence, ALL blades must be declared "bad."

If you leave it up to a judgment call, that judgment call and the decision to make it a judgment call could be put before a jury at some point.

We're in sad shape, people.

Using your knife/tool responsibly in public will do more good than letting it sit in your pocket. Sadly, we do have to consider the size when we do this. The makers seem to realize this and offer a large variety to choose from.

Paul

I think that 'political correctness" is going way too far.

Soon, ACME may bring out the totally sheeple friendly Q-Tip multitool. When you aren't using your ACME Q-Tip, it's all soft and fuzzy on both ends.

GeoThorn

Isn't it ironic that our freedoms are being "whittled" away one by one by our lawmakers when they were once the ones that protected those freedoms?

heathah said:
Isn't it ironic that our freedoms are being "whittled" away one by one by our lawmakers when they were once the ones that protected those freedoms?

Lawmakers are interesting in pleasing their constituents and thereby protecting their own jobs.

Considering how long my answer about ACME Q-Tip multi-tool stayed there, without a reply, I'd started worrying that I'd offended someone.

I agree with cardimon that lawmakers are interested in pleasing their constituents. Since that assumption/assertion is widespread, then we need to decide who a lawmaker's largest constituency is. I'm afraid that "sheeple" are the largest portion of any lawmaker's constituency, as compared to 'knife knuts,' so, therefore, since a lawmaker would prefer to please the largest block of their constituency, most lawmakers are going to make and pass laws that are more sheeple-friendly rather than those that are knife-friendly.

If I'm trapped in my burning car because my seatbelt has become stuck and won't release me, and I'm too injured to reach my own knife, I'd much prefer being rescued by the person with the biggest, baddest Rambo-style knife in the world, rather than a sheeple carrying their PC toenail clippers, merely because I'd be released from my would-be pyre more quickly.

Who is more likely to try rescuing someone from a burning car; a sheeple or a knife-knut? I'll put my money on the knife-knut. They want to find out how fast their razor sharp blade can slice through a seatbelt. ;)

GeoThorn

Back