Best EDC Multi-Tool

geothorn said:
If I'm trapped in my burning car because my seatbelt has become stuck and won't release me, and I'm too injured to reach my own knife, I'd much prefer being rescued by the person with the biggest, baddest Rambo-style knife in the world, rather than a sheeple carrying their PC toenail clippers, merely because I'd be released from my would-be pyre more quickly.

Who is more likely to try rescuing someone from a burning car; a sheeple or a knife-knut? I'll put my money on the knife-knut. They want to find out how fast their razor sharp blade can slice through a seatbelt. ;)

GeoThorn

With all due respect for fellow KKs, some of would rush to the aid of someone in distress, and others not. Carrying a blade does not confer character of any kind.

While I have always tried to live up the the Boy Scout motto, it seems a bit much to debate public policy on a worst case scenario that is most likely to never occur. Chances of being in a burning car and not being able to release your seat belt in the usual way range from slim to remote. So is the chance that, in those unlikely circumstances, a knifeguy wielding a big honker will charge to your rescue.

Law abiding people should have the right to carry any kind of knife that suits them. The "sheeple" factor can be annoying and frustrating, but of the entire range of political and ecnomic issues facing our society, this is by far not a priority.

znapschatz said:
With all due respect for fellow KKs, some of would rush to the aid of someone in distress, and others not. Carrying a blade does not confer character of any kind.
I agree. I was merely being "tongue in cheek." It just seems to me that some of the current laws and rules concerning what knives are allowed to be carried are being based on irrationally emotional arguments.

znapschatz said:
While I have always tried to live up the the Boy Scout motto, it seems a bit much to debate public policy on a worst case scenario that is most likely to never occur. Chances of being in a burning car and not being able to release your seat belt in the usual way range from slim to remote. So is the chance that, in those unlikely circumstances, a knifeguy wielding a big honker will charge to your rescue.
I agree with you again. I'm just positing the extremes. I would have to be severely injured, and probably unconcious, before I could not cut my own seatbelt away. :)

znapschatz said:
Law abiding people should have the right to carry any kind of knife that suits them.
Again, I agree with you.

znapschatz said:
The "sheeple" factor can be annoying and frustrating, but of the entire range of political and ecnomic issues facing our society, this is by far not a priority.
I believe that the "sheeple factor" has more control over those that are making and passing the rules and laws than does common sense.

Another BladeForums' member has recently had a rule handed-down, concerning his entire Washington D.C. building, that no one is allowed to bring a knife to work, period. The previous rule was that no one was allowed to bring a knife to work with a blade any longer than 3". No, there weren't any attacks that occured with a 3" or longer knife, in that workplace, that prompted the rule change. I guess that the "reason" for the new rule was that the building's security folks were getting tired of standing around, holding rulers, with which to measure each knife's blade length.

I believe that we should all be carrying and using our knives and multi-tools in a law-abiding way, using them for the tools that they are. Once someone steps beyond that legal boundary, menacing or threatening someone with them, then they don't deserve to possess and carry them. "Sheeple" might consider just the carrying of a knife or multi-tool to be a menace or threat.

The "sheeple factor" has to do with the disgust or even abject, illogical horror of seeing someone carrying a knife, for whatever reason, and immediately jumping to a conclusion that said person might be violence-prone. I should be allowed to carry whatever knife that my local municipal laws stipulate that I can, without my having to consider that "sheeple" might be unduly/illogically alarmed by it.

People who don't carry a knife or a multi-tool alarm me. Who's going to come to their rescue, when they need help, if they haven't even prepared themselves?

GeoThorn

I want a bad a** leatherman tool that will not break under the abuse I give it. Have you found that the charge Ti works well?

sollie said:
I want a bad a** leatherman tool that will not break under the abuse I give it. Have you found that the charge Ti works well?
It has Titanium handles and a 154CM knife blade. Need I say more?

geothorn said:
People who don't carry a knife or a multi-tool alarm me. Who's going to come to their rescue, when they need help, if they haven't even prepared themselves?

GeoThorn

They don't care. Their idea of coming to your rescue is to dial 911 for you.

Policy is all-important, for legal liability reasons and for insurance coverage more than anything else. An insurance company says ban all blades or we can no longer insure you. So blades are banned. It's that simple.

Commonsense plays no part in this. Welcome to the new millennium.

I thought it was a Ti? Oh well, the XTi is good also.

At least Leatherman included a hook on it. Why they didn't put one on the Ti also is unknown to me. Wouldn't have been any harder and would have used the same amount of space.

I dunno. Anyways, get an XTi so you can cut geothorn's seatbelt and save him.:)

heathah said:
I thought it was a Ti? Oh well, the XTi is good also.

At least Leatherman included a hook on it. Why they didn't put one on the Ti also is unknown to me. Wouldn't have been any harder and would have used the same amount of space.

I dunno. Anyways, get an XTi so you can cut geothorn's seatbelt and save him.:)

And he hasn't got all day!
:eek:

geothorn said:
Unless I decided that gasoline prices were too high to fill-up. ;)

GeoThorn
Yeah, no kidding. I filled up my truck last night and it was right at $40. For GAS!!! :grumpy: I can't believe it costs that much for a tank of gas. Well, I can but that's beside the point.

I have a theory that you can modify your car to run off the methane farts of a herd of cows. Actually I believe a study was done on this before but I'm not sure where. Anyways, I believe I could take the smell. :D

Sorry I got a little off topic, but this whole gasoline pricing stuff is makin' me angry. :mad: They said on the news that you shouldn't worry because milk was still more expensive than gasoline per gallon. Well, I'm not running my car on milk am I? Yes sir, filler up. I'd like 40 gallons of 2% right here in my Chevy! Not that skim crap, only the best for my vehicle.;)

Hmm...makes me wonder, could I make a hybrid milk/methane engine? Milthane, melk, milth, mil...oh nevermind. :D

Good grief! I wish petrol & diesel were that cheap here! :barf: At 90p per litre, and assuming I have the math right, we pay the equivalent of $6.38 a US gallon for diesel here - so assuming your tank is the same as mine, ie 60L, it would cost you $101.01!! :mad: :mad:

My Charge TI is clipped in my pocket wherever I go. If i am fishing then it in the sheath with the bits.

Back