Best flipper under $100 for a gift?

composite blade junkyard dog. beast of a knife, the clip is a bit gay, belt sander fixes it...

The skyline is a nice size, but not a great flipper. It flips average at best. I'd rather anything from Kizer over the Skyline (I've got both). The form factor of the Skyline is amazing but the action sucks. The vanguard series Kizers all feel better built and also have had better actions than the skylines I've used/owned.

The action on my Skyline is amazing, and better than some ball bearing flippers I have (E571 comes to mind). I guess I just have an awesome example. My Kizer Gemini (and most ZTs) are smoother for sure, but at 3-10 times the cost.

I think it really is hit or miss. Mine is either too tight to flip well or flips decent but has a bit of side to side play. I liked the look/size/weight of the Skyline, mine is just rather mediocre at flipping. Compared to the others I own it doesn't open all that well with the flipper. It has a great following, but mine takes a lot more effort to open right than say a ZT 0450. When looking at the premium versions that push $100, I'd not take the risk again. At a base version, well it's good enough for the money that I wouldn't complain.

Want a great assisted flipper with an awesome blade and sweet looking handles??
Check out the OD green Kershaw Knockout! Awesome knife that is slim, has great looking scales, flies open and locks up tight, has a super slicing blade grind and is just flat out cool!!
Great knife for a great price!! Worth every dime!
Joe

Kizer Vanguard Gemeni. All the geometry of the more expensive model at less than half the price.

I think it really is hit or miss. Mine is either too tight to flip well or flips decent but has a bit of side to side play. I liked the look/size/weight of the Skyline, mine is just rather mediocre at flipping. Compared to the others I own it doesn't open all that well with the flipper. It has a great following, but mine takes a lot more effort to open right than say a ZT 0450. When looking at the premium versions that push $100, I'd not take the risk again. At a base version, well it's good enough for the money that I wouldn't complain.

Skylines can be a good flipper, but they need a little break-in period; sometimes a lot of break-in. Skylines do well with a full disassembly, washer polish and they like to stay damp with a little Nano oil. I have a modded Skyline Damascus that I carried everyday for nearly a year and it's a great flipper. Skylines are very variable new out of the box but they can be good. Considering the cost of the knife, weight of the blade, the goofy integrated detent and fair to middling washer quality, a worn-in Skyline is amazing.

Skylines are also a little technique dependent. You need a kind of modified light switch method with inertia from the flick directed into the path of deployment. It's not an actual wrist flick, but it is a little different. Sort of a hybrid light switch push button, lol.

I agree the Gemini is a better flipper, but Kizers in general provide amazing quality for the price. If the Gemini were made Stateside, it'd be a ZT:D. From that standpoint you're comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
The skyline is a nice size, but not a great flipper. It flips average at best. I'd rather anything from Kizer over the Skyline (I've got both). The form factor of the Skyline is amazing but the action sucks. The vanguard series Kizers all feel better built and also have had better actions than the skylines I've used/owned.

Never had a problem with mine opening...I flip...it opens simple as that. Never spent much time analyzing it further as that is a minor feature to me. The main thing for me is the size, thin profile and grip. These days, I rarely have need of a big bulky pocket knife.

Want a great assisted flipper with an awesome blade and sweet looking handles??
Check out the OD green Kershaw Knockout! Awesome knife that is slim, has great looking scales, flies open and locks up tight, has a super slicing blade grind and is just flat out cool!!
Great knife for a great price!! Worth every dime!
Joe

+1 for the knockout. I'm giving my nephew the knockout for his 16th birthday on Sunday. I think this knife is much nicer than the link, and prefer it over the skyline as well.

Back