Best movies ever

Young Frankenstein
Full Metal Jacket
Tombstone

are just a few....oh and Fast Times at Ridgemont High

"From Here to Eternity " is my pick, Strangely enough,it just ended on cable.

" Shout at the Devil " [ Lee Marvin ]'

"African Queen"

"Hunchback of Notre Dame " [ Laughton ]

Uncle Alan

How about the one that is indirectly responsible for all of us being here. Without Alan Ladd's The Iron Mistress, there may never have been a mass rekindling of interests in custom knives. Most of our best known knife makers got their start by trying to reproduce the knife from this film.

n2s

195548~The-Iron-Mistress-Posters.jpg

Cat Ballou
Blazing Saddles
To Kill A Mockingbird
Dead Men Don`t Wear Plaid
Shane
My Science Project
Outlaw Josie Wales

Braveheart
Brother hood of the Wolf
Lord of the Rings
v for Vendetta
The punisher
Cold mountain

Theres more but that is my short list.

Trying not to repeat but to add..

The Killer Elite
The Conversation
Enemy of the State( Almost a sequel to the conversation)
The Parralax View
Boondock Saints (a love it or hate it film)
Big Fish

And Gollnick, Doesn't the Meaning of Life make it as a song and dance flick? LOL.

Here's my list:
- The Exorcist (original)
- Downfall
- Ordinary People
- Deliverance
- The Shining
- Conan the Barbarian
- Amadeus
- Unforgiven
- High Plains Drifter
- Jeremiah Johnson
- Mr. Frost
- King David
- Wild at Heart
- Less than Zero
- Apocalypse Now
- Heat

Lots of great films making the lists, and plenty that I haven't seen that I'm adding to my 'list'. I don't want to point fingers, but there are also some real stinkers being named too! :)

From Slaytanic:
Wild at Heart - the unforgetable scene for me is the midnight drive across the desert with the haunting guitar playing "Wicked Game". David Lynch is one of my favorite directors. Have you seen, Lost Highway? That was David Lynch's effort to be as David Lynch-ish as he could. And how about U Turn, Oliver Stone's attempt at making a David Lynch movie?

Apocalypse Now. Even more interesting than the feature film is Heart of Darkness, the documentary about the making of Apocolypse....

Speaking of documentaries, anyone seen When We Were Kings? It's a documentary of the Ali/Foreman fight in Zaire, filmed in 1974 but only recently released. Ten times better than Ali.

No one's mentioned Taxi Driver yet have they? And some great Jim Jarmusch films like Ghost Dog and Dead Man.

-Bob

Dawn of the Dead -- 1979 Romero version
Night of the Living Dead -- 1990 Savini version
The Road Warrior

:eek:

pcnorton said:
And Gollnick, Doesn't the Meaning of Life make it as a song and dance flick? LOL.

Yeah, kind of. But Singing in the Rain is exceptional. Don't watch it for the movie, but watch it for the dance. It is incomparable. And as you watch it, remember that it was made in 1950-something before computer-generated special effects, before digital editting, etc. Notice how the camera pans to follow the dance. There aren't a lot of camera cuts. This is dramatically different from how films are made today. Today, in an "action" scene, they cut to a different angle, a different cut, every few seconds. This is not only because they have more cameras, but because every cut is an opportunity to not only cut from one camera angle to another, but from one take to another. Gene Kelly did the title cut, the Singing in the Rain dance, twice. What you see is mixture of footage from the two takes. There are -- I don't remember -- three or four camera cuts in the whole finished scene. It's not that he did a few seconds of it right on take one, a few seconds of it right on take two, a few seconds of it right on take three, a few seconds of it right on take four, and so forth and a few seconds of it right on take 45 and the computer editted in the rest of it. No. That's the way they do it today. But, in 1950, he basically nailed it twice. And the rain was real... water at least, not a computer-generated effect as it would probabaly be today. One of the reasons they only shot the scene twice was that it took something like 30,000 gallons of water. Same sort of thing with the Make 'Em Laugh dance where Donald O'Connor dances on a vertical wall. That's not a computer-generated special effect because they didn't have 'em back then. If the script called for him to dance on a vertical wall, then he actually did it. So, watch it for the shear physicality of the dancing.

I remember the GOLF GTI ad that digitalised "Singing in the Rain" :D

Although boring, by today's standards, a movie with excellent dialogue was "Around the World in 80 Days" with David Niven.:thumbup:

I can't think of all my favorite movies, but I see that these two haven't been mentioned:

Das Boot
Cinema Paradiso

Nordic Viking said:
I remember the GOLF GTI ad that digitalised "Singing in the Rain" :D

Although boring, by today's standards, a movie with excellent dialogue was "Around the World in 80 Days" with David Niven.:thumbup:
Well, if we are progressing to ads... Shame the product doesn't live up to the hype!

Andy

Back