Best of 2018

Dknight16

Gold Member
It was a pretty good year for me. With my state finally rescinding the auto ban, autos were a big of a theme for me. My favorite new knife for 2018 is my Microtech UTX-85 T/E CF with Mike Norris Damascus blade.

What was your best of 2018?

Attachments

• B53CCD05-A414-4879-97AB-D65B0A82DCBA.jpeg
    B53CCD05-A414-4879-97AB-D65B0A82DCBA.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 48
I can’t name just one. I haven’t bought a knife forever and this year happened. I went a little crazy and drastically decided to streamline and replace my most frequent users.

Laconico Keen x 2
Shirogorov F3
Hackman Wirkkala Puukko
Vintage Thiers FFG Butcher’s Knife
Cohutta Strebig

I also have more in the pipeline to complete my mission by summer. EZC, Impinda, and two more customs.

2018 - the year I discovered Shirogorov. My F95T is THE knife.

After that, I had the chance to do some really unique custom handle work. A few pieces really stood out, but I did a project using some spalted oak from the tree in the movie The Shawshank Redemption. That knife has affectionately become known as the Shaw Shank.

Lots of good ones this year but if I HAD to choose.....
vi8Ixie.jpg

RihlktR.jpg

1MglWdv.jpg

Last edited:
In a year where I acquired a Custom Emerson Gentleman Jim, a Microtech Combat Trodoon Bowie, a pristine (as in absolutely new in box) 2000 Emerson Specwar B, a Medford Praetorian Ti Vulcan, a 20th Anniversary Emerson Commander, a low serial number first year Super CQC-8, a Medford Praetorian T, a Microtech Mini Matrix, production Emersons such as a 2005 CQC-7BTS, 2005 CQC-13BTS, a sprint Military S90V framelock, THE "tuffthumbs" Gypsy Jack Emerson Po Boy, a CRK Umnumzaan - and no doubt others I'm not remembering, my favorite knife I've acquired this year is definitely my Laconico Keen.

Paid for my oldest son's first year of college.

Hell of a pile of knives that could have been bought with that hell of a pile of cash.

But the kid's damn well worth it, so I'll forego a few vices of my own for a couple years.

So my "best" topped out this year with a Cold Steel Magnum Tanto IX in 3V.

It's not practical, but I always wanted one for no good reason.

My favorite of the year is the White River Backpacker Pro. On the folding side of things, I have been impressed with the Kizer Vanguard Dukes that is a sub $100 knife and the Benchmade Mini Presidio II (manual folder). Honorable mention goes to the Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart although I still have not used it outside the house yet.

I hadn't bought any new knives since 2008. This year, I purchased 5 Opinels, 2 Svörds, 4 Aitor Castors, 1 Helle Dokka, 1 Spyderco Chaparral, 1 Tramontina 18" machete, 1 Mora Robust, 3 vintage axes and 2 new axes. All of these purchases were purpose driven and have proven themselves to be good to great tools. I do really like them all but if I had to pick favorites, the awards would go to the Dokka, the Chaparral and the Kelly Works True Temper Cruiser.

It was a busy year for me, but I found one that easily stands out. This has become a true EDC for me, became the first knife I have ever bought two of, and lit a fire under me to finally start on YouTube, as my first review.

fHeZq6C.jpg

Massdrop x Laconico Keen.

So damn good.

I have a bunch that I really like from this year. The cream of the crop are probably my Olamic Rainmaker, my ZT 0850 (didn't expect to like this one as much as I have) CKF Morrf5 and CKF Asymmetric Midi.

Blinged out pocket sword snapshot because threads need pics:

imvJ55Y.jpg

I've bought "several" very nice knives this year, including fixed blades, traditional, & modern folders; but the Laconico Keen gets my vote for the Best of 2018.
IMG_0774-X3.jpg

Never seen that. Seems like a great price (I saw $139 online, maybe there's better?), for such a knife. If it came in auto, I'd be all over that.

Back