Best pivot for ease of maintenance

Hello,

What type of pivot system (not sure of terminology) would require least amount of maintenance while keeping it as smooth as possible?

I know that if abused too much, any folder would degrade into being crappy.

I need a folding knife for gutting fish & bait cutting. I do not want a fixed blade with sheath for this.

I used a CRKT crossbones and the action became horrible.. and the IKBS was a pain to clean.

I also tried using RAT 1 in D2 and it got rusty.. and sticky action.

Anyone have a good general fishing knife, that you can open/close with one hand? If not I can research on my own... but any help on what type of washer/bearing are easiest to maintain (preferably never maintain) and still keep it decently operating would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pivot wise, I would want something with washers not bearings. Maybe even no washers at all. A spyderco salt comes to mind for your needs. I do think for what you’re doing any folder would get full of debris and gunked up.

Thank you both for the answers. I was hoping there was something that i can just.... hose it down with water, rather than having to disassemble it.

I will search for a friction folder and checkout Syderco salt.

Spyderco Salt series. Every part of the knife, including the pivot, is made to withstand wet, salty, dirty environments. The blade is practically impervious to corrosion. The only time I remember seeing one getting damaged was when it was left overnight, wet, on a block of pool chlorine. The newer ones can be disassembled (although I strongly advise against it unless absolutely necessary), and with the adjustable pivot you can loosen it up and flush anything that might get in there.

The Spyderco backlocks are easy enough to close 1 handed. Hold the knife at the top of the handle, unlock it, then drop the blade down so the ricasso hits your finger, then wrist-flick it closed the rest of the way. I've been carrying a Salt of some kind since they were introduced. Great knives.

Pivot wise, I would want something with washers not bearings. Maybe even no washers at all. A spyderco salt comes to mind for your needs. I do think for what you’re doing any folder would get full of debris and gunked up.

I've had the same issue doing the same thing. If it folds gunk will get inside, my solution was a A. G. Russell Hunter Scalpel.

Hello,

What type of pivot system (not sure of terminology) would require least amount of maintenance while keeping it as smooth as possible?

I know that if abused too much, any folder would degrade into being crappy.

I need a folding knife for gutting fish & bait cutting. I do not want a fixed blade with sheath for this.

I used a CRKT crossbones and the action became horrible.. and the IKBS was a pain to clean.

I also tried using RAT 1 in D2 and it got rusty.. and sticky action.

Anyone have a good general fishing knife, that you can open/close with one hand? If not I can research on my own... but any help on what type of washer/bearing are easiest to maintain (preferably never maintain) and still keep it decently operating would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You need to find a ZT or G&G Hawk MUDD. They have sealed pivots that don’t let dirt in.

You need to fund a ZT or G&G Hawk MUDD. They have sealed pivots that don’t let dirt in.
Thanks Lapedog. But that seems so pricy for just gutting fish. I wouldnt mind carrying them, but for fishing knife... i would get one I dont mind dropping in the ocean.

Spyderco Salt series. Every part of the knife, including the pivot, is made to withstand wet, salty, dirty environments. The blade is practically impervious to corrosion. The only time I remember seeing one getting damaged was when it was left overnight, wet, on a block of pool chlorine. The newer ones can be disassembled (although I strongly advise against it unless absolutely necessary), and with the adjustable pivot you can loosen it up and flush anything that might get in there.

The Spyderco backlocks are easy enough to close 1 handed. Hold the knife at the top of the handle, unlock it, then drop the blade down so the ricasso hits your finger, then wrist-flick it closed the rest of the way. I've been carrying a Salt of some kind since they were introduced. Great knives.
Thank you. I think Salt is what I need.

Well before I put some focus on the pivot I will just say that D2 is a tool steel not a stainless steel so preventing rust on D2 requires greater care and maintenance.

So a easy/easier to clean pivot system the fewer parts or the more sealed the parts the easier to clean. This puts basic friction folders and Hawk MUDD toward the top though beyond knowing that the MUDD is designed to seal out dirt and debris I can't speak to how well it performs in that job. I would next look at knives using washers it will be closest thing to a friction folder design while giving you smoother action typically. I would probably look to avoid bearings as dirt and debris can get into the caging which will be much more difficult to clean out.

I would also say that something from the Spyderco Salt series is a top choice given the details provided in OP of the overall use.

Well before I put some focus on the pivot I will just say that D2 is a tool steel not a stainless steel so preventing rust on D2 requires greater care and maintenance.

So a easy/easier to clean pivot system the fewer parts or the more sealed the parts the easier to clean. This puts basic friction folders and Hawk MUDD toward the top though beyond knowing that the MUDD is designed to seal out dirt and debris I can't speak to how well it performs in that job. I would next look at knives using washers it will be closest thing to a friction folder design while giving you smoother action typically. I would probably look to avoid bearings as dirt and debris can get into the caging which will be much more difficult to clean out.

I would also say that something from the Spyderco Salt series is a top choice given the details provided in OP of the overall use.
thank you. I will be getting the Salt, probably the smallest one.

I was close to just getting CRKT Homefront. That looks easy to maintain too since I can disassemble, dunk it in water, assemble again. But... the blade is too thick for my purpose.

thank you. I will be getting the Salt, probably the smallest one.

I was close to just getting CRKT Homefront. That looks easy to maintain too since I can disassemble, dunk it in water, assemble again. But... the blade is too thick for my purpose.

The CRKT Homefront has pretty terrible ergonomics and has a finicky system holding it all together, I wouldn't recommend it as anything more than a proof-of-concept knife.

I'd recommend Teflon or phosphor bronze washers.. maybe a spidie chef. I've always found my PB washer folders to be low maintenance.

i think a mora knife would be very nice and economical for the use you describe. For a folder, i agree with others here that the salt would be an excellent choice.

Back